School me on backyard practice rifles.

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

School me on backyard practice rifles.

Post by Ghostofwar »

OK, so I have been looking around at air rifles because I want to get one for backyard practice. My budget is maybe 7-800 bucks and I would prefer a self contained gun. The SSP rifles appeal to me the most. I have a FWB 601, but I don't care for any of the scope mounting options and I would also like to keep it set up for 10m shooting. I know the TX200 is a popular rifle, but I know nothing about it or any of the springer guns other than they kill scopes. It would be great if someone could give me the full scoop on the TX200. How much does it recoil, whats the accuracy like, whats the cocking effort, noise level, what scope could I use on it, etc...? Are there any precharged guns out there that are in my price range that would be worth a look? What are you guys and girls using?
hugh
B Poster
B Poster

Re: School me on backyard practice rifles.

Post by hugh »

Get a Feinwerkbau 300SU from Jim Edmondson. (troutmd at earthklink.net) Put your scope on it and play. 15lb cocking effort vs 40lbs, no scope/gate/recoil issues. It's quiet and MOST importantly, within your budget. Not as sexy as SSP or PCP, but it is the most produced, with good parts availability and if you get the SU (adjustable cheekpiece) you can tailor it to your body. my 2 cents, Merry Christmas.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

What Hugh said AND if you are even remotely mechanicly inclined you can rebuild one for less then $100 yourself. Very cheap/easy.....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

.02 worth...

Some people are gun friendly, some not so much. If you have an unfriendly neighbor that sees you shooting in the backyard the police you charge you with "discharging a firearm within the city limits."

I used to live in Tucson and this was a common charge. Same for shooting you bow in the yard...yes, not technically a firearm, but the police will still site you. Check you local laws, and keep is hidden from gun-unfriendly neighbors.

I shoot from inside the basement to a "silent" bullet trap in the garage, and make sure the cat is in the house.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I have 20 yards in my house so I shoot inside all the time. Full power springers are loud but 10M rifles are nice.

:mrgreen:
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?