Theoben Evolution

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
1inarow
Unclassified Poster

Theoben Evolution

Post by 1inarow »

Was just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the Theoben Evolution? Looks like a pretty nice air rifle for the money, and seems like it would fit the bill very nicely for silhouette. The SLR98 also looks very interresting and both are available with thumbhole stocks. Any information on these rifles would be greatly appreciated, before I ["waste"] any money on one. Thanks
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

slr 98

Post by psteiger »

A couple of us in Texas have been wondering about the same thing. If you get one, I'd be real interested in a comparo with the HW97 and TX 200'
Mike Sporer
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Mike Sporer »

Hello,

The only reason I bought an Evolution was to shoot AR silo. Superior fit and finish. It has the gas ram powerplant so no tuning is required and it cocks real easy and smooth. I've heard some grumbling about the trigger but I find it to be relatively smooth and predictable. The stock fits real nice with that cheek piece and the extra forestock depth. The grip is different than what I am used to since it is on the skinny side and has ergonomics that dictate a thumb-on-top type of hold, but I find this to be a minor annoyance more than a deal breaker. My main issue with the gun is its balance and weight. It probably comes in at about 8-8.5 lbs with a scope and that's a bit lighter than I'm used to. I find the balance very neutral where I would prefer it to be muzzle heavy. Again, I find these to be "differences" and not "problems". When I do my part the targets go down fine.

However, after about 500 shots the gun went from ~830fps to ~600fps for an unknown reason. The gun was out of it's 1 year warranty period by now but I sent it to Dave Slade (the Theoben importer and warranty guy) and he did a 100 percent check and seal replacement at no cost. So far, so good. Based on the build quality and Theoben's rep, I'd say this was a fluke and not indicative of any overall quality issues. If these guns were lemons you'd see it all over the net and this isn't the case.

I also have the HW97 and while this gun is a sweetheart (I now use it for FT) I always prefered the Evolution for silhouette.

Sincerely,

Mike Sporer
slowstdy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by slowstdy »

Hi Mike, I have been looking at the Evolution, and the Long barrel SLR, on paper they look like perfect Sporter class guns. The only springer i seem to be able to shoot is the Mk1 TX200, mine is old and i am worried it's going to go south on me. The Theoben might make a good replacement. You have no location in your profile, are you any were near East PA. We shoot Air Rifle and Pistol, 3rd sunday of the month.
Cheers Limey

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
buckmark
B Poster
B Poster

Post by buckmark »

Hi, new here and happen to own an Evo too!
With 10" barrel and walnut stock, 12Ftp, 4.5mm
+ ram, so no twang or springtwisting and fast locktime
+ this one has a very nice trigger
+ good looks
+ accurate LW or Anschutz barrel
+ this one has very good finish, nice blueing (allthough not as good as Webley)

- pretty light, should be a downside for silhouet/standing shooting
- not all stocks are finished this good; it can vary pretty much with Theobens
- not all Evo triggers are this good, many remain heavy and have creep
-here anyway, they're too expensive (theoben in general)
- barrel lock-up VERY tight
-walnutstocks c