WTB Open class air rifle need advice

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
chango2013
A Poster
A Poster

WTB Open class air rifle need advice

Post by chango2013 »

Hi
i´m looking for a open class air rifle
i have now a aschutz 8002 wood stock

any advice what and where to buy a good option for silhouette
the last year i try the Jerry Tureau walther and is really good but cant find the model
also try one steyr lg100

please give me your advice
thanks
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: WTB Open class air rifle need advice

Post by ter »

Nothing wrong with the 8002, except maybe the 550fps Vo. I imagine you can get your regulator modified for some more speed. I had a Steyr, actually 2, and a big drawback was the tiny air cylinder. I also have a 9003 and Walther lg400 in match configuration but I don't shoot silhouette with those. I bought a Daystate MK4 MCT and it is truely slick. 20 or 30 fpe, and super quality. It has 3x the shots per fill compared to the Styer. I also had the Daystate Airwolf in 22 and it had 30/40 fpe and twice the shots of the mk4. I really think the Airwolf is the best. The Daystaes are a more sportier but a match rifle under the hood.
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chuckjordan2 »

I like the Air Arms EV2, have it in LH. Used mainly to shoot Field Target.

The Air Arms 4xx, 5xx series can also be a good deal. Bought an AA MPR-FT (aka 4xx series) and it's as accurate than my EV2.

It comes down to what style you like, price point, and whether you're going to add accessories.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

They no longer import the Walther Open Class high power PCPs to the US so you are only going to find one on the used market. I found Jerry's rifle for him with a Want to Buy ad in about a hour but that was pure luck. I got the same rifle off GunBroker and Jerry shot it and went 38/40 when I let him shoot a match with it and he was hooked and wanted one. We have had another club member find one recently but they don't come around often for sale. We actually have 4 of those at our club now and Dustin has the Walther Dominator FT model he cleans house with but found used as well.

The AA and Daystate rifles are nice rifles but just don't measure up to the Walther IMO. But for a shooter like you Chango I am sure it would be just fine. They are no less accurate than the higher end open class rifles and hell some of them cost as much or more lol.

The Steyr is a nice rifle as well but as mentioned the shot count is not as high.

I would suggest looking around for a used one and see what you can find. Run a WTB ad on the yellow forum is your best bet or maybe Targettalk.org as well.

As for getting the regulator on your 8002 modified I wouldn't hassle with it as you not only need a different regulator but the barrel length is not long enough on the 10m target rifles to get the velocity of the Open class rifles. The 8002 has a short barrel and it would also need to be changed. Just to much tinkering to mess us a fine 10m Target rifle, in the end it would be best to just find a open class ready rifle. Back several years ago Alan Z. modified 10m Steyrs and FWBs to shoot high power but it took a lot of modification and a lot of money for his work.

If you can't locate a Walther or other already modified 10m rifle I would look at the Daystate and AirArms as Ter suggested. The only problem I have with the Daystate rifles are that they are electronic and the trigger just isn't as nice as a mechanical IMO. Plus I saw one short out at a match and almost catch on fire. Not a good thing. Forget to charge it and you are screwed at the match. They also aren't as adjustable when it comes to fit.

The Steyr is a good choice but will just require more topping off more often than the Walther which fills to 300 BAR compared to 200 BAR fills on the Steyr.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Tpatner412
Unclassified Poster

Post by Tpatner412 »

I personally have two Steyr's. An LG110 and an LG100. You can get a heck of a deal on a used LG100 if you are patient. Both of my guns have been modified by Allen Zasadny and are the real deal. I won the 2013 TN State match with my LG110. Only missed 3 targets that day and all three of the misses were me and definitely not the gun. Your 8002 would be a decent choice but as it has been said, would likely need to be rebarreled and the potential for having to do some very invasive work to the regulator and other internals could get very costly. There are some in Europe who are running 9003 (as they have the stabilizer) but have not seen too many 8002's.

An EV2 can be had used at a good price and if it is a good one, they are hard to beat. I have an old SM100 from Air Arms that Allen has modified a bit to make more adjustable. I have seen the 100 series guns set up for high power here in the US and they do very well. From the bench, my 20 year old air arms will beat my Steyrs relatively often. But I am convinced those guns don't like to be benched, they are made to be shot in FT positions. If the SM100 weren't set up for 12 FPE, I'd offer it to you, but you'd have more luck getting something modern regardless. The Walther is definitely a good choice but hard to come by now. Have only seen a few out there. They are still being made in Europe but for some reason not imported here....a real shame.

Best of luck and hope to see you on the circuit in the future.

Tyler
chango2013
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chango2013 »

thanks to all for the advice
look the way to go is Dee convince one of the shooters to sale one of the walther´s :)

what would be a fair price for a LG100 one friend have one can ask if he sale to me
Tpatner412
Unclassified Poster

Post by Tpatner412 »

That would depend on what state it is in. If it is still a 10m 100 then it needs to be converted. I have seen them go from as low as $1100 up to $1500 depending on what barrel they have. If it is a barley twist barrel it would be worth a bit more as those are more desirable. Not necessarily more accurate, but they say they do not need to be cleaned as often.

If it has already been converted, I would expect around $1600-2400 or so. Depending on if it is just the gun or if it comes with an upgraded butt hook, knee riser or any other goodies.

When they go up for sale on the Yellow, they often take a bit to sell unless they are modestly priced.