Scope advice for Target Air Rifle

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Scope advice for Target Air Rifle

Post by atomicbrh »

Since we started Air Rifle Silhouette we have lots of new shooters looking for equipment. I like the Custom Shop 6.5 to 20X EFR scopes but many people do not want to spend that kind of money to begin with. This is a list of the details most people are looking for:
(1) Repeatability is number one. The scope must repeat all day, every day for years.
(2) Target turrets resettable to zero.
(3) One inch scope tube.
Anyone got any suggestions about which scope to tell these people to buy?
Bobby H.
Last edited by atomicbrh on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Scope advice for Target Air Rifle

Post by dustinflint »

First, I would tell them to significantly cut down on their list of demands. That's just too much to look for. It's like that rifle you've been posting about for two years...

Second, I'd point someone to the Bushnell 4200 that is in the marketplace right now for $355. It's a steal and meets all of the specifications except 1/4 click values and new availability (but that one is available!).

Third, I'd take a good look at the Weaver V-series scopes.

Fourth, and this is just my opinion, but I think new shooters should learn to shoot at at least 24X - makes for less transition down the road.

Dustin
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

dustinflint wrote: It's like that rifle you've been posting about for two years...

=))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I believe a leupold VX3 6.5-20X40AO EFR with custom shop reticle meets all your requirements.... Unicorn horn included.... :ymhug:
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Bushnell 4200 6-24x with the Dot all the way all day. Forget the 1/4" clicks it's not needed. If they can't dial 1/8" clicks they will have trouble with 1/4" as well lol. You have to dial for each animal no matter which one you use. I use the 4200's on all my rifles 3 air and 2 SB only using a FX3 30x Leupold on my HP rifle to make weight. Mine are all 8-32x models with a dot added but I used the 6-24x at first. Never have any issues dialing to the correct setting with them. They can be bought new for a good price and used for great prices as is the one listed now on the classifieds. For the $$$ they can't be beat for a variable scope that is clear as can be and it will allow them to start with a lower mag if they want and move up. And they repeat all day. Field target shooters use them and dial the hell out of them between every 2 shots and they hold up fine even on spring rifles. Hold their value as well and will even focus down to 10 yards for indoor practice on paper if you want.

The difference in price for the EFR 20x will buy a LOT of pellets and that scope is no better than the 4200 IMO. Neither will make you a better shooter but all those pellets will :lol:

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
Dee e-mail headed your way.
Any more suggestions?
Thanks,
Bobby
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Just like all silhouette the Leupold EFR is about the best for PCP or springers. I have one on my Air Arms S510. I had an AA S400 carbine sitting in the safe which I wasn't using much so to save money I put a Weaver V16, with a dot, on it (about $320). Focus' down to 10 mtr, 1/4 min clicks, clear. Haven't used it for a season yet but so far am happy. Not airgun rated, so don't use on a springer
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

GTKF wrote:Just like all silhouette the Leupold EFR is about the best for PCP or springers. I have one on my Air Arms S510. I had an AA S400 carbine sitting in the safe which I wasn't using much so to save money I put a Weaver V16, with a dot, on it (about $320). Focus' down to 10 mtr, 1/4 min clicks, clear. Haven't used it for a season yet but so far am happy. Not airgun rated, so don't use on a springer
Actually the V-16 is one of the few scopes that will stand up to a RWS 54. It is beyond springer rated.... ;)