TX200 owners

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

TX200 owners

Post by shooterer »

Did you go for the higher velocity of the .177 cal (930 fps) ?
or
The 25% larger pellet surface area of the slower .22 cal (755 fps) ?
Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: TX200 owners

Post by cedestech »

Problem is not velocity, it's pellet selection and foot pounds of energy. 22 doesn't have as large a selection of pellets and the energy is too high for the targets, you'll end up breaking/bending them and Dustin will waggle his finger at you....

;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

.177 JSB 8.4gr with 4.52mm heads. That is all we use in our TX200s or you can get Air Arms 8.4gr pellets which are just JSB pellets with a Air Arms Sticker on the tin. No point in going with the .22 you just get less shots per tin of pellets. Stick with the .177 to get the most bang for your buck. They only shoot around 875 fps on average anyway. Most of the velocity numbers manufacturers publish are from them using 7gr pellets or less. Anything up over 900 fps will usually start to get squirrely on you out past 30 yards and reduce accuracy quite a bit opening groups up. Most airgun shooters consider 875-910 or so the maximum sweet spot for velocity.

All the crap some makers say about 1400 fps is total BS or like Gamo they are using some 5gr pellet and the groups are the size of coffee cans at 30 yards. You don't want anything going that fast from a pellet gun using traditional skirt pellets anyway. Damn marketing people truly screw up peoples impressions of what airguns are capable of accuracy wise with their ridiculous claims of velocity. So people go try a airgun and start cheap with a Gamo and then get turned off because they shoot like crap. In last months American Rifleman they had a write up about the Gamo and the guy doing the report obviously knew jack shit about airguns. "Neat to hear the crack of the pellets breaking the sound barrier" he says. No its not, you never want to hear that sound! Then he posts his groups and they are around 3" off a rest at 50 yards. I proper airgun shooting a proper velocity can do under a 1/2" group at 50 yards! Junk ass reporting from the NRA go figure. They know airguns like I know Ballet! =))

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I didn't know you liked ballet!
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I don't but the chickens and turkeys I edge hit sure seem to know how to pirouette and stay standing in the same spot! Such grace and balance I tell ya! :lol:

Dee
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Dee wrote:I don't but the chickens and turkeys I edge hit sure seem to know how to pirouette and stay standing in the same spot! Such grace and balance I tell ya! :lol:

Dee
Lol, mine are more like breakdancers bobbing and weaving to avoid my shots.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I using the JSB's in my TX200 currently and having excellent results although I was talking to a rep from Crosman at the Harrisburg, PA Outdoor Show recently and he suggested I try their new Crosman Premier Light. I think I will just to give them a try.
ppkny

JSB Match Diabolo Exact RS .177 Cal, 7.33 Grains, Domed $0.023
Crosman Premier Light .177 Cal, 7.9 Grains, Domed $0.021
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

ppkny wrote:I using the JSB's in my TX200 currently and having excellent results although I was talking to a rep from Crosman at the Harrisburg, PA Outdoor Show recently and he suggested I try their new Crosman Premier Light. I think I will just to give them a try.
ppkny

JSB Match Diabolo Exact RS .177 Cal, 7.33 Grains, Domed $0.023
Crosman Premier Light .177 Cal, 7.9 Grains, Domed $0.021

Just curious why are you using the Exact 7.33gr pellets instead of the 8.4gr? I know some people like them over the 8.4gr in their 10m Target guns at lower velocity. Crosman used to make some damn good pellets with the Premiers and they are still pretty good but their quality control has gone down over the years and I find they have a lot more peewee pellets mixed in these days. Have you tried those 7.33gr across a chrony? I'd be interested to know what kind of speed you are getting with that lighter pellet.

Dee
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Dee,
I just get better accuracy with the 7.3's. Didn't chrony anything but I probably should start keeping some data. I usually only measure results and don't pay much attention to the details.
ppkny
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Newbie here (to air) - if I got a TX200 for silhouette, and other stuff (not much hunting), would I be better off with .177 or .22?

Thank you in advance,
M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

snaketail2 wrote:Newbie here (to air) - if I got a TX200 for silhouette, and other stuff (not much hunting), would I be better off with .177 or .22?

Thank you in advance,
M

.177 would be the way to go. You can pretty much hunt anything with it that you would with the .22 they are both limited to small critters only anyway. Hunting with a air rifle is all about shot placement to the head. Plus you get twice as many shots for the same $ in pellet costs.

Dee
GregG
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GregG »

I have to be a bit different sorry guys. Larry's Used Airguns (as I call him) did have a .22 for awhile here in Houston. The tx200 he had did not show the target damage being reported and seemed just fine. It may have bucked the wind a bit better but not a significant different. Ultimately the rifle found a new home, because of what has been discussed cost difference of pellets and limited pellet selection.

If you are looking for a larger bore Air gun look at the .25 Murader (sp) but this will definitely damage targets. Bill actually shot it once as a small-bore gun for fun.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Another newbie question...
The TX200 is a springer - right? Does that mean I need a "springer' rated scope? I have a Mueller 8.5-25x44 I wanted to use ... will it work on a springer?
My original plan was to put the scope on a Benjamin Marauder, but the Benji seems to need a lot of aftermarket add-ons - bringing the price up the TX200.

Or, should I stick to Trap shooting until .22 ammo comes back?

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Yes you will need a springer rated scope and preferably one from a maker with a great replacement policy in case even that one gives up the ghost from being on a springer. As for the scope you mention I can't say yes or no and would contact Mueller and find out before using it on one. Also make sure they are willing to replace it if it goes out. If they claim it is springer rated they shouldn't have any problems backing that up with a warranty. If they don't look someplace else. Bushnell Elites or 4200's as they were called are the scope of choice for a TX but I know some that use Weavers on them with no issues although some don't focus very clearly at closer distances. Leupolds would work as well but again you need the short focus EFR model or the 50' adapter for them.

Dee
ShooterP14
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShooterP14 »

[quote="All the crap some makers say about 1400 fps is total BS or like Gamo they are using some 5gr pellet and the groups are the size of coffee cans at 30 yards. Dee[/quote]

I have a Gamo Wisper and shoot the 4.5g pellets and it works fine for what I use it for. I get groups about the size of a squirrel. B-) :D

-Pat-
The Wonderful White Winged Warrior - He's Everywhere! He's Everywhere!