Does Anyone Have One of These?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Does Anyone Have One of These?

Post by Scrench »

Wanted, one or more in usable shape for backyard practice. Please email scrench@att.net
Sil-Swinging-Targets-001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Does Anyone Have One of These?

Post by richard »

I don't know if Beeman Makes them anymore however Quality Targets makes nice swingers for each animal which are fairly robust. Separate animals are nice because you can put them all out at once at the proper distances.
Richard
Gleedaniel13
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

I don't know if Beeman Makes them anymore however Quality Targets makes nice swingers for each animal which are fairly robust. Separate animals are nice because you can put them all out at once at the proper distances.
Richard
I really like it, honestly. I want to purchase the same as that one. :)
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I dont see how that setup is useful because the targets are not scaled to be shot at the same distance. So, if you want to practice you have to put the target at 20 yds to shoot chickens, then move it to 30 yds for pigs and 36 and 45 for turkeys and rams, respectively. I'd much rather each target be scaled to a single distance so I dont have to move it (which is the purpose of a swinger anyway, you dont have to walk out and reset the targets).

I built this swinger target for my back yard. All the targets are scaled for 20 yards and I have a target facing each direction. It's good for practice and fun to shoot.
20 yd swinger.jpg
Dustin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

I like that one Dustin. I am lucky enough to have enough distance in my backyard to shoot full distance so I have 5 animals at each distance. I also have a chicken swinger though for when I just want to get out there and beat something up.
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

The problem guys, is that I can't allow missed shots or ricochets to go anywhere but in a pellet trap. Neighbors live right behind and on the sides of me. So the target must be contained in something. Dustin, that's why I was hoping to find 4 of these, so I wouldn't have to keep moving one around. I thought about getting the 1/10 swingers from Quality Target then putting my 22lr. pellet trap right behind them, but I think the possibility of ricochets is still there, and again, I'd have to move it around for each distance. I suggested to the owner of Quality that since Daisy doesn't make these anymore, he should build a durable set of these with one animal in each trap for us backyard shooters with neighbors to be able to practice safely. Until someone comes up with a better idea, I guess I'm stuck shooting at paper, but the "smack" and dropping (spinning) animal is so much more fun!

Anybody have any other ideas?

Dustin, planning to be at Sil Nat's Saturday. Need current book.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Scrench wrote:The problem guys, is that I can't allow missed shots or ricochets to go anywhere but in a pellet trap. Neighbors live right behind and on the sides of me. So the target must be contained in.
I have an old piece of steel behind mine but a piece of 3/4 inch plywood would work, too. If you're shooting pellets, you're not going to have a ricochet glance off of the target and go anywhere but into your backstop. I've shot thousands and thousands and thousands of pellets at swingers with a backstop and at resettables with a backstop and have been able to account for every single shot. I really wouldn't worry about ricochets. Just get a decent backstop.

Dustin
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

Hmmm. I see all of the parts you used Dustin but don't see how you attached your animals to the eye bolts. Just a weld? The animals would be easy to get from Quality.

The only other solution out there right now is this from Gamo, but the steel is flimsy enough that I'm almost penetrating it at 45 yards, the attachments are rudimentary and ill-fitting, its easy to hit the base, they don't hang straight or level, and it's not deep enough for the animals to swing freely all the way around. I really wish someone would make something very similar to this, professional-grade, with a full set of 4 targets. Any fabricators out there? I'd probably pay around $200 for a full set.
Gamo-Sil-Target-001.jpg
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

They are welded. We had the targets cut out with a water jet. It's very difficult to cut a 20yd ram out of steel without some sophisticated equipment.

Dustin
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

Using a combination of what I had and some inspiration from Dustin, this is my solution. I already had boxes made with 2 knock-down field targets in them. OK, maybe it's not necessary, but I feel 100% confident that no lead is escaping my boxes headed towards the neighbors, as evidenced by the amount I dump out of them after a session. The animals came from a Gamo setup. I cut the bases off, and lock-washered the hooks onto the backs, but this may prove to be a problem later as that is the weakest link in the whole setup. Welding will be the next step.

With the addition of the silhouette targets to my boxes, I can easily practice either discipline because the apertures on the pop-up squirrels are centered between the silhouette animals. By the way, the black material at the end of the boxes is folded up door mats from Home Depot and Lowe's. They really deaden the sound and capture quite a few pellets by themselves at distance. The better ones are at Home Depot for $3.00. Shoot 'em up then replace them as needed. There is 3/4" plywood behind them.

With that black background, sides and top, It's like looking into a tunnel, and I can see the pellets shatter into many pieces flying off radially in different directions at 20 yards as they strike chickens! It's like a fireworks show. Scared me at first because I didn't know what happened. Thought I blew something up. Scary looking thru a scope! Anyway, tested it today, so far so good. Now it's just a matter of longevity. Thanks Dustin for the input and inspiration! Now, if I could just HIT them!

Richard Harris
Sil-Boxes-002.jpg
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Here's what I use.... it's a 10 meter airgun biathlon target I bolted inside a thrift store cabinet.... Granted, it doesn't look like chickens, pigs, turkeys, or rams, but when you send one through the plus or minu 1/2" center hole, one of the white paddles flips up and hides the target, just like if it fell off a rail! I have it in my adjoining garage and shoot it from my kitchen. I could easily move it oustside, the thing is incredibly difficult at the regulation ten meters for my RWS springer, and I can back up another twenty feet and make it nigh impossible if I want! The rope is for resetting the paddles; no bending over to pick up and reset targets! (Sorry about the clutter in the photo, but I didn't know you were coming to visit! :D )

http://www.devinmfg.com/targets1.html

"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)