Is It Safe to Buy Weaver Scopes Again?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Is It Safe to Buy Weaver Scopes Again?

Post by Scrench »

I heard the quality took a hit when the company was sold, but that they are back up to the standard before the sale. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm looking for a short 24x scope as light as possible for a spring gun, and the T-Series 24x looks like it. They keep saying the T-Series is not rated for spring airguns, but the old ones seem to do very well at it. Currently using a Bushnell Elite 3200 7-21x, but it's just a little shy of what I'd like to be seeing.

Thanks,
Scrench
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Is It Safe to Buy Weaver Scopes Again?

Post by Scrench »

After reading suggestions on another thread, would the V-series Weaver be a better choice than the T? I can't see under the turret caps on the V's pictures so don't know if constant adjusting would be more difficult than the T's target turrets. That is the one BIG drawback to my 3200. I don't even use turret adjustment because they are too small and a pain in the butt to turn, and can't be marked because they sit inside the turret, so I just hold over with mil-dots right now.

Thanks Again.
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

I think I got my answer. Bushnells need to be modified and are too long and heavy for me and my gun. Leupolds are too expensive, and Weavers also need the dot modified. Sounds like the only game in town for buying a stock ready-to-go scope is a Sightron Big Sky SII 6-24x42 Sil with 1/4 moa and a 1/2 dot. Good choice?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I'm using Weavers on all my HP silhouette guns and so far so good. Not sure how they will handle the air rifles. good luck.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

Scrench: the Sightron Big Sky is a great scope. I had one mounted on a Sako P94s; it resides on my air rifle now. The clicks are not as audible or as distinct as a Leupold, but it is not really a problem if you pay attention. And at the price for the quality of optics, they are hard to beat.
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

Sightron is a great scope, but they sell for 665 from SWFA now. For less than a hundred bucks or so, the Leupold 6x20 is available. Big Sky was a better value when they had a rebate and could be has for under 500. They really jumped in price. I would pass on the weaver due to clarity.
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

Thanks for the replies guys,

but I'm kinda set on a Leupold BR24x if I can find one or a newer FX3-25x. Both come with 1/2 moa dots so I won't have to modify anything, and they are the lightest at 14.4 oz. I had the opportunity to look thru a BR this weekend at the Nationals, and that was it. Maybe I should not have, because now even the price on the new ones don't look so high!

Scrench
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Hey Scrench, you might look at the fx3 at tactical wholesalers. Heres the link:
http://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/Leup ... p_318.html

Be aware they tack on a $11 'processing fee' or something like that. It was still the lowest price I could find when I bought mine last year though.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

OldRanger,

Thank you so much for letting me know about that site. They had 1 left and I jumped on it! I never believed I would be able to afford a Leupold. Would've paid close to that by getting anything else and having to ship it off to have the reticle customized. This way, all done, everything I wanted in a scope, ready to rock and roll.

Thanks Again!
Scrench