Air rifle suggestions

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Tony
B Poster
B Poster

Air rifle suggestions

Post by Tony »

Looking for an air rifle to use for practicing silhouette in the back yard. What would be some good options without breaking the bank? Also the quieter the better. Where can you buy air rifle targets?
Thanks!
wjr3895
Unclassified Poster

Re: Air rifle suggestions

Post by wjr3895 »

Been looking for the same thing! I have found a couple possibilities using google and searching for air gun reviews. There are quite a few options out there for less than 150usd. I have settled on the gas piston models as it seems to be the least over the long run.

Crosman, benjamin, umarex, among others have a gas model. Lots of stock options as well as packages with scopes and a few accessories for under 175.

Pyramidair is just one website.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

"without breaking the bank"... That is too ambiguous... how big is your bank?
jdp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jdp »

I agree with Trent, Bank? Rather than buying, trying, selling, buying again, etc. Get a good PCP with fully adjustable stock. Then set everything to match your silhouette rifle exactly. Length of pull, comb height, Eye relief, grip to trigger length, trigger pull. Then when you practice you are practicing with what your shooting all the time. STEYR,
John Peterson
Tony
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tony »

I don't mind spending a few bucks. What are some good options and at what cost?
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

A good option if you don't mind pumping it for each shot is a SSP 10 meter rifle. Like a Steyr LG1 (very rare) or Walther or FWB 60x Series or Anschutz Superair 2002 is a very good one. No filling tanks or hand pumping a PCP. Or you could spend a little more and get the PCP fill equipment and go that route for straight shooting no pumping. They are the nicest but even old FWB300s springer style with an easy to cock mechanism is a great way to go.

Would need to know your budget better and what you want. You can find nice not to used 10m rifles all the time on the market. Some of the older models likes the 2002CA can be had for $1200 or less usually depending on options sites included etc. All that is value to take into account. I sold the 10m sights for $250 and scoped my 8002 S2. So if they have good sight sets offered with them you can sell that to recoup some money on the rifle.

Cry once and buy the good stuff. You will want to shoot it they are so nice. Then later if you want to sell it they hold their value well. Stay away from junk.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Tony
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Tony »

I am also in the market for a small-bore hunter rig so at this point $1200 is more than I would like to spend. Would rather be around half that or so!
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

The Air Arms TX200 is pretty slick and it is spring powered so you don't need a gas bottle. You can find one on the yellow airgun forum for 600. For "cheap" targets, you can shoot smallbore chickens at 40 yards. They are a good scale match to the AR rams with no need to buy anything, assuming you have a smallbore setup. Quality targets has swingers, http://www.qualitytargets.com/servlet/t ... %2C/Detail
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Find an RWS 75. They can be found for cheap if you're not picky about cosmetic condition. For instance, I bought 4 of them for $400. I sent 2 to Umarex for overhaul. It cost me $175/ea for overhaul that consisted of new seals, lubrication, and test firing. I've shot mine over the chrono and it delivers better standard deviation than my Anschutz 2002. I like the 2002 because of the convenience. The 75 is actually a better trainer for SB and high power because the shooting vibrations and longer lock time more closely resemble the experience with those guns. It forces me to follow thru the shot. The 2002's fast lock time permits me to get away with snappy trigger work
- Joe
shooterer
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterer »

This is my practice rig.
Tau 200 senior. 1 co2 cartridge gets me 55 shots.

Stand up for what is right.... even if you stand alone.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Do any of these rifles you guys are talking about come in left handed models?
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.