Opinion of trigger quality

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Opinion of trigger quality

Post by atomicbrh »

[quote]"Thanks for the story. I do not know the people you mention, but I can relate to the concept because the worst thing I could ever say around the house is "Honey, you can't shoot that rifle because your a girl". "
Being a girl has nothing to do with this. The sport of Silhouette gives most ladies an anatomical advantage because of the nature of the standing position with little support from coats, slings or devices on the rifle. To me it is the rawest, purest form of shooting. When you talk about cocking and loading springers with a very strong spring that has to be cocked you are talking about a whole "nuther" world from the normal rifle world. We are talking about upper body strength and dexterity with your fingers loading a small pellet while holding the cocking arm with the opposite hand.
I am not living anywhere that I cannot pull a trigger every day and send some kind of projectile downrange if that is what I want to do that day. I could not go three years without touching some of these fine triggers on these rifles. The "city" life is not for me. I do not know how you can go without shooting this quality stuff for so long. That is terrible.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

We have a little teen girl that shoots the TX200 with a 32x Bushnell scope and has no problems with it at all. Cocking it has a lot to do with the technique you use to do so. There are easy ways to help with the cocking effort required by placing the butt in your hip. But it you plan to just hold the grip with one hand and reach out and cock it with the other without bracing it against yourself that is a real bear to do. Women can cock a TX, it's peeing standing up they can't seem to master :))

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

it's peeing standing up they can't seem to master :))
My dear Dee, you are throwing down the gauntlet with that statement. Somethings are mastered quite well when needed, such as peeing off the bow of a boat without 1) falling in, 2) hitting the boat, further....well let me just say watch what you say or you ill be facing a challenge you can't handle.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Wow, that escalated quickly.... =))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Ok Emmett, what is your opinion of the differences between the TX and the HW? You've had mine for 20 minutes, I know at least 100 pellets have flown downrange. Let's have it.

And as to the girls that can and do shoot Tx's, Laura, Hayley, Jaycee, Innocent, Theresa, are the ones that "spring" to mind........and since Dee pees sitting down, does that make him a girl? =))

sorry Dee, I had to. Glad to see you've come out of hiding. we missed you Sunday.

p
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Honestly, same/same. Both are much "finer" or "crisper" or what ever the word you want to use then a non-tuned RWS T01 trigger. The TX vs Rekord? You'd need to be one of the usual suspects on the top of any state or national results board to define the differences. Both are 2 stage and adjustable enough to give you a reasonably light trigger that is very crisp with out being mushy between the stages or heavy to get a proper second stage.

It's like you (Pat) always say, it's the complete package. A good trigger helps but I'd place fit as or more important.... (but then again I am only a AAA shooter on a good day)

:mrgreen:

(yeah, 100+ pellets, I'll play with it more in the next couple weeks)

:D
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

atomicbrh wrote:
"Thanks for the story. I do not know the people you mention, but I can relate to the concept because the worst thing I could ever say around the house is "Honey, you can't shoot that rifle because your a girl". "
Being a girl has nothing to do with this. The sport of Silhouette gives most ladies an anatomical advantage because of the nature of the standing position with little support from coats, slings or devices on the rifle. To me it is the rawest, purest form of shooting. When you talk about cocking and loading springers with a very strong spring that has to be cocked you are talking about a whole "nuther" world from the normal rifle world. We are talking about upper body strength and dexterity with your fingers loading a small pellet while holding the cocking arm with the opposite hand.
I am not living anywhere that I cannot pull a trigger every day and send some kind of projectile downrange if that is what I want to do that day. I could not go three years without touching some of these fine triggers on these rifles. The "city" life is not for me. I do not know how you can go without shooting this quality stuff for so long. That is terrible.
My wife and I both have missed the shooting sports terribly. It does not take very long after loosing a job to a recession to be willing to go anywhere for work, but man some places are just tough! We are praying things will be different by next year! :-bd

Thanks to all for you thoughtful comments, I still don't know which air rifle to get but it has sure been entertaining! I don't remember SteelChickens being this friendly before either, so please know that all positive comments are appreciated. Shoot well!
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

SqHunter,

I've owned both, actually several of the better springers, HW97KT, HW50S, R7, AA TX200MK3, AA TX200MK3HC, and a AA Prosport. I've also experienced both in stock and then in tuned form. I got on a tear last year to find the best spring gun for me for silhouette, so I tried as many as I could. But to answer your question, without going into elaborate discussion about the pros and cons of each gun you mentioned, which I will if you want, is that the HW trigger in stock form is not that great. In fact, I wondered how it got the reputation it did, because I was completely unimpressed. It's simply not as crisp and in some cases as smooth as a stock AA when it breaks. I need to qualify my answer because I also shoot 10 meter Olympic Match pistols with triggers that are literally hair-triggers, a couple of ounces of pull weight at the most, like a lot of target and PCP guns used for silhouette. And, you need to realize that your perception of which trigger is best is only going to correlate to what you have experience with. If you are coming from an Airforce Talon SS for instance with 3lbs. of trigger weight, you will think either of these triggers are heaven.

Back to your answer. Stock, an HW trigger is ok, but to realize the maximum and get it to live up to that reputation, you will need to get it tuned by someone, or yourself, if you feel confident enough to do it. There are tutorials on Youtube and elsewhere for do-it-yourself. The absolute best website for all things HW related is "Weihrauch Owners Forum" in Europe. Just Goggle it and see how many topics are on there about HW triggers and their adjustments. The AA triggers, specifically the TX200 in stock form, is much better simply because you can adjust it as is to get a very acceptable performance. It benefits from the latest in computer design, whereas the HW is the same it has been for a long time. And that's the main difference and reason to own an AA over a HW, even though in my opinion, and after a LOT of pellets testing it, I believe the HW's are more accurate straight out of the box. AA TX200's can be completely disassembled by anybody and fiddled with till' your hearts content. HW's require a spring compressor to take the whole gun apart. Once again, there are videos that show you how to build a spring compressor. But...You can get to and remove an HW trigger without having to remove the spring. something you can't do with an AA.

Again, final answer, if both triggers are tuned, you probably couldn't tell the difference. Stock, AA absolutely. This is only my opinion based on my experiences with the above listed guns. As you can see, just the discussion on the triggers alone can be quite a handful, but then trying to decide which gun to get compounds the problem exponentially. As I'm sure others have already said, get them in yours hands and try them out if at all possible. If not, you need to haunt that HW forum I mentioned and the "Air Arms Owners Club" website to learn everything you can to make a reasonable decision. Everyone has a different opinion, and although we all respect and value those of people more experienced than us, in the end, the only one that counts is yours.

Best Regards,
Scrench
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Mr. Scrench,

Thank you for such a detailed response. I sure wish I could see or shoot them myself, but I have never seen a quality airgun in person and there are no matches within a several state radius that I am aware of. Sounds like they are both close enough that either would be a good choice, but as I have no wish to fiddle with another rifle to get it to function well, the AA is fast becoming the one to get.

Thanks again!
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

You're Welcome,

And what you say is true, but consider this. Being world's away from putting your hands on either one is not a problem. You are one of the fortunate people that Pyramyd Air was made for. Save your money, buy both guns from them, keep them for up to a month, then send back the one you don't want, simple as that. PA is the only dealer who will allow you to test just about anything for a full month and still give you a full refund. Take advantage of it while a dealer this open minded still exists.

Scrench
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Scrench wrote:You're Welcome,

And what you say is true, but consider this. Being world's away from putting your hands on either one is not a problem. You are one of the fortunate people that Pyramyd Air was made for. Save your money, buy both guns from them, keep them for up to a month, then send back the one you don't want, simple as that. PA is the only dealer who will allow you to test just about anything for a full month and still give you a full refund. Take advantage of it while a dealer this open minded still exists.

Scrench
Wow! I have never heard of a company that would do such a thing. Man, that makes the decision less stressful for sure. Thanks for letting me know!