Opinion of trigger quality

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Opinion of trigger quality

Post by SqHunter »

Can someone please compare the Rekord trigger in the HW97K to that found on the Air Arms TX200 MKIII? I am thinking about a rifle for quiet practice at home, in light of the continuing shortage of ammo and rimfire rifles locally. Thanks for your time.

Edit: I should probably add that I have zero experience with any sort of air gun, these are just two that seem to be recommended frequently. In short, I am looking for a rifle of decent quality that will reasonably mimick a Hunter class sporter rimfire.
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Opinion of trigger quality

Post by ter »

I had 2 Air Arms 410s and they both had better triggers than a 1712 if the screws were adjusted well. I had a FX400 and it had a light yet creepy crappy trigger, and I currently have a Daystate MK4mct that has an electronic switch like a computer mouse, so i guess that is kinda like a 54msr trigger. My Anschutz 9003 and Walther LG400 have better triggers that the 54 match rifles, with the LG400 having the best trigger I ever squeezed on any firearm. I have a compressor and tank, so I really don't have a will for a springer. Arguably the AA TX200 and HW97 are the best out there and really tied for overall performance. The TX200 is more popular if that helps. Certainly a good idea with the price and availability of rimfire ammo.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Mr. Ter, Thank you for your reply and for sharing your experience. Your post does lead one to wonder though, as to why exactly is the TX200 more popular than the HW? From what I have read the HW trigger is supposed to be top notch. Are there other qualities where it is lacking? Thanks again.
Last edited by SqHunter on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

There is more to picking out the correct Air Rifle for you than the trigger. I simply cannot shoot a TX200 in any form. It is great if someone would cock it and load it for me. Once it is cocked and loaded it is a great rifle for me. Arthritis prevents me from being able to cock the TX, place the pellet in the chamber and get 5 shots downrange in 2 and 1/2 minutes. Sometimes I cannot load one pellet into the chamber in 2 and 1/2 minutes of trying. It has been awhile since I tried a HW97 but I was not very good at operating that one either. The only decent Springer that I can shoot with any success for some reason is the old HW77K. I found my springer when I shot a 40 round Match with a friend's and bought a used one shortly thereafter. Short story if I had bought a TX or 97 without shooting them I would have wasted my money. I do not think most people would be happy with the HW77K but it works for me. Find people in your area who have both rifles and will let you shoot them. Better yet even if you are not interested in Air Rifle Silhouette it would be beneficial to shoot a match with each rifle you are interested in. 40 rounds with each rifle at different distances would be a good test drive. You could shoot one rifle in Open and another on in Sporter.
dee or dustin will be on here shortly probably to reply. I think the reason people like the TX more for Silhouette is that it is easy to work on. You do not need a spring compressor with the TX design??
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

I wish I could handle one, or one of the finer small bores for that matter, but there simply are no matches at all within a several state radius of my current location. This is one reason to order an air rifle actually, to be able to practice at least a little while living in this area (E. Ky). Your point is well taken though, as my wife would want to shoot it too and she is a very small lady. What would you say would be the limit on stature required to handle the springer rifles? My wife is 5' 2", but I had better not guess her weight in public :D
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

SqHunter, That last reply helps a lot with what you want to do. My wife and I run Air Rifle Silhouette matchs. Some months we host two matchs. We have a ton of new shooters. Over half of the new shooters are ladies. I think that is because my wife shoots. One of the first things we do with a new shooter is have them cock a sporter with one of the experienced shooters standing right beside them in case they do not have enough strength to complete the cocking motion. No lady wants any part of a TX200, HW97k or HW77K. They cannot cock them and most say they are too heavy. My wife is only one inch taller than your wife. She shoots a Anschutz 8001 in a beech stock. She has been around Silhouette for 14 years and started shooting in 2013 after helping with the paperwork all those previous years. I cannot find a good Springer that she has enough strength to cock. We have a Beeman R7 break barrel on order from StraightShooters to try for Silhouette. We are hoping this will be the springer for ladies and smaller kids(9, 10, 11 year olds). It has low cocking effort and the ReKord trigger. We just hope the velocity with the typical Silhouette pellets will be fast enough. The trouble I think we are going to have with the R7 is the receiver is short and that limits the length scope we will be able to mount on the R7. The HW30s is the same as a R7 but I prefer the R7. The reason for my preference is too lengthy to go into here. Also take a look at the Air Venturi Bronco. I do not know much about that one except that it should be small enough.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Thanks for your insight, I will look into the R7. The Beeman rifles were recommended to me as an entry level hunting rifle, I was not aware that the trigger would be of sufficient quality to warrant use as a silhouette rifle. I will look into it, thank you.

If I ever get to move back home, I would like very much to bring the wife to one of your MS matches. We really miss competing at AL and Chattanooga, and I am sure would like MS too. We have a lot of friends and family in MS, so it would be a good trip. Thanks for your help.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I have a R7 with a Vortek kit, Maccarri cocking aid (barrel nubbin) and set back trigger. I LOVE shooting it. Very easy to cock, light, not real hold sensitive and accurate when you find the pellet it likes. Much fun.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

My daughter has been shooting a TX200 since she was 12 with no issues. She's almost 5' 5"now. She prefers that to the HW, but I think the HW97 has a better trigger. My little kids share the HW97. The 97 seems to be shooting about 780 with CPL7.9's and the TX is tuned to 860 with the same pellet. I found the Pro Sport and the TX200 HC more difficult because of the shorter levers. But back to the original question, I think the HW97 trigger feels better than the TX200. I understand it is a bit more difficult to tune, but I have never had either one apart. Also I noticed a lot less complaining at matches when the 12 year old girl was shooting the TX200 at a match........but I'm just sayin.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

To be fair though... Elizabeth is a silhouette machine.... ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Do you know what traits make the young lady prefer the TX200, given that the trigger on the other rifle feels better?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Like a previous poster said, psteiger's daughter is not typical of lady silhouette shooters. She grew up around these rifles and is probably stronger than an old man like me. Name some more ladies that own the TX and little kids that shoot the 97 to really make old men feel wimpy.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

I wish I could quantify why she prefers the TX. I know it's not the trigger. It's the whole package. It holds better for her, but I bought the HW97 much later. She learned on the TX200. It's funny how she works. It's almost a Zen thing. She bonds with her rifles and that's it. She will play with others, but she won't shoot a match with them. If something broke, ok, but not if it's working. If you ask her to quantify, she just says she likes it better. Another thing, she prefers single stage triggers. She shoots 2 stage on the air rifles, but she prefers the one on her Anschutz 1710. Also she learned to shoot them standing between Larry Engle and Bill Motl, 2 of the best shooters around. No WAY she was gonna whine. all she wanted to do was win. Beating those guys with a springer is a feat. I don't think she ever has.

I'm curious how the new HW97 feels with the ambi thumbhole. They look really neat. Anyone shot one?
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

SqHunter wrote:Do you know what traits make the young lady prefer the TX200, given that the trigger on the other rifle feels better?
Elisabeth is a shooting phenom. She could shoot any rifle well but like most good shooters she likes what's familiar. She is incredibly difficult to beat no matter which rifle she's shooting.

Dustin
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

psteiger wrote:I wish I could quantify why she prefers the TX. I know it's not the trigger. It's the whole package. It holds better for her, but I bought the HW97 much later. She learned on the TX200. It's funny how she works. It's almost a Zen thing. She bonds with her rifles and that's it. She will play with others, but she won't shoot a match with them. If something broke, ok, but not if it's working. If you ask her to quantify, she just says she likes it better. Another thing, she prefers single stage triggers. She shoots 2 stage on the air rifles, but she prefers the one on her Anschutz 1710. Also she learned to shoot them standing between Larry Engle and Bill Motl, 2 of the best shooters around. No WAY she was gonna whine. all she wanted to do was win. Beating those guys with a springer is a feat. I don't think she ever has.

I'm curious how the new HW97 feels with the ambi thumbhole. They look really neat. Anyone shot one?

Thanks for the story. I do not know the people you mention, but I can relate to the concept because the worst thing I could ever say around the house is "Honey, you can't shoot that rifle because your a girl". =)) ;)

Thanks for all of the details fellows, I do not know which air rifle we will end up with but I have much to think about. At this point, considering it has been three years since we got to compete, practice, or even go to a good hunting place I would just like to pull a trigger. Any trigger :lol: Have a good day!