Which scope for air rifle?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Which scope for air rifle?

Post by nemo »

Greetings all,

I have acquired an air rifle for silhouette practice. However, my Leupold 24x target scope will not focus close enough for the chickens at 20 yards. So I have two questions:

Since the distances for the air rifle are about half of the distances for the rim-fire rifle, should I get a 12x scope to have the same sight picture?

If so, can you recommend 12x scope that will focus to 20 yards? Otherwise, is there a 24x scope that will focus down to 20 yards ?

Any other advice from air rifle shooters?

Kindest regards,

N
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Which scope for air rifle?

Post by GTKF »

The air rifle silhouettes are scaled for 20, 30, 36 and 45 yards. They are 1/10th full size whil smallbore are 1/5 full size. Getting a 12X scope will reduce the size of the animal in the sight picture to half of your 24X.

I believe Leupold offers a "lens" not sure what the proper term is that will allow the 24X to focus down to 10 yds. The Leupold 6.5 - 20X EFR will focus down to 10 yds
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

Leupold makes a $50 close focusing attachment..... screw that into the AO of your scope, and you should see them clear enough. I have a 12 X 40 AO fixed Leupold, and the screw in lens solved the problem.... I can shoot the scope as close as 10 meters.....
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi GTKF,

thank you for the response. Regarding the sizes, I am rather confused. If I am observing a 1/5 at 40m with 24x magnification, should it not be the same sight picture as 1/10 at 20m with 12x magnification?

Regarding the Leupold 50ft close focus adapter, it will not fit on scopes manufactured before 2004, which mine is.

Hi OnaginOffagin,

thank you for the response. See above regarding the 50ft close focus adapter.

Kindest regards,

M
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

nemo wrote: thank you for the response. Regarding the sizes, I am rather confused. If I am observing a 1/5 at 40m with 24x magnification, should it not be the same sight picture as 1/10 at 20m with 12x magnification?

That's not how it works. The scaling of the targets will take care of the "sight picture."

A 1/5 scale chicken at 40m and a 1/10 scale chicken at 20m will both appear to be the same size with a 24X scope. If you cut your magnification in half for airgun, your airgun targets will appear to be half the size of the smallbore targets. Plus your movement will look all different. You'll be very disappointed. Stick with 24X. Get a Weaver, Bushnell or Sightron.

Dustin
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi Dustin,

thank you for the reply. Since two experienced shooters claim the same, I will - conditionally, until I convince myself - accept your conclusion regarding the magnification.

So back to square one, which of the 24x scopes will focus down to the chickens. I am not opposed to buy a good scope because my other hobbies taught me to adhere to the "buy once, cry once" philosophy.

Kindest regards,

N
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

I shoot Weaver T24s on two of my air rifles and a Bushnell Elite 4200 on one, all with good success.

I also regularly focus a Weaver T24 to 16 yards for practice.

Dustin
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by OnaginOffagin »

nemo wrote:Hi GTKF,

Hi OnaginOffagin,

thank you for the response. See above regarding the 50ft close focus adapter.

Kindest regards,

M
You're welcome, but actually.... Leupold sells two different size 50' close focus adapters, one for both pre and post 2004 scopes.... I think Midway can help you.....
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi Dustin,

thank you for the reply.

Hi OnaginOffagin,

you are absolutely correct, I am a moron.
Here is the reference in case other people would be interested:http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting ... -pre-2004/

One more question - how close does the Leupold 24X BR focus to?

Kindest regards,

N
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

nemo wrote:
One more question - how close does the Leupold 24X BR focus to?

Kindest regards,

N
My 24X BR focuses clearly to about 45 yards. I believe (not sure) the 24 BRD goes down clearly to 40 yds or bit further
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi Ken,

thank you.

Kindest regards,

N
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

nemo,

You didn't mention which target scope you had, but I talked to someone about using that adaptor with an FX3. His reply was this:

"I tried this experiment several years ago, and discovered that with the adapter in place the chickens were fine, but there was no way to focus on turkeys - either with or without the adapter - and those things are hard enough anyway."

I've also contacted Leupold about having the focus adjusted for shorter distances, and their reply was that 25 yards is the minimum for any of their scopes with 24x or more. I'm still thinking about having my FX3 adjusted down to 25 and just live with slightly blurry chickens. I already tried it with another scope, adjusting it to 30 yards, but shooting chickens at 20, and although they were blurry, it didn't affect my limited ability to hit them. But you can forget about seeing where your misses go.

You overthought your magnification problem. Simple answer: With a 24x scope at 40 yards, a 1/10th scale animal will be 1/2 the size of a 1/5th scale, side by side. Move the 1/10th up to 20 yards, and they are the same size. Mag is the same.

I'm pretty sure a BR focuses down to 16 yards or less.

Take Dustin's advice.

Good Luck, and welcome to a fabulous sport!
Scrench
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi Scrench,

thank you for the reply. Regarding the experience with the adapter, the opinions are inconclusive. I was curious, because in my understanding the adapter is just a diopter that is supposed to move infinity to 50 yards, as the name indicates, so the 20 yards/m to 46 yards/m should be covered. It also should not affect the sight quality. But then again, this is just a theory, so maybe I am wrong again.

I read your experience with the FX3 25x, and that caused me to shy away from that model. Funny thing, though, because the FT shooters report the 35x model to focus to 11 yards. The Leupold that I have is a 1989 24x target model with fine cross-hair and a dot. I purchased it at a great price, but it is currently at Leupold for a warranty because it had a faint circle around the dot - I believe that the lenses are separating - so I cannot check the close focus. The objective ring says 55, which, again an opinion, is interpreted as feet by some people, claiming that it focuses down to 16 yard, by others as yards. So go figure.

I have found another 24x BR for a good price, but again, to find out the close focusing ability seems impossible, see Ken's reply supra.

Regarding Dustin's advice, I hate the weight of the Elite 4200 6-24x, also I am not sure whether zoom is needed. So, as much as I like the Leupold, which I can keep for a rim-fire, I will look for Weaver T24 or Sightron.

Thank you for the scaling explanation and the welcome; I went to observe a rim-fire match and became interested.

Kindest regards,

N
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

nemo,

You're Welcome.

I guess I should have told you that I went through the same pangs for a few months trying to narrow down the scope I wanted, and it always came down to the Leupold FX3 (before I knew about its' focus limitations), Weaver T-24, or Sightron Big Sky Sil 6-24x, pretty much exactly what Dustin suggested for you, as he did for me. You already know about what happened with the Leo. I've had a pile of Bushnell's, but for this sport, like you, I think they are too heavy. There are plenty who disagree with me, but I'm a smallish guy and I value light weight and neutral balance. I thought the Sightron was too expensive, so I have a Weaver T-24 on my gun. The glass is not as clear as a Leo or Bushnell, but it's good enough, it's fairly light, and the repeatability is absolutely world-class, which is why you will see a lot of people put up with the inferior clarity. If you go this route be sure you get an older one, model 849988, because it comes with a 1/2 dot and 1/4 clicks. The new ones do not.

This is the first I've heard of FT guys using an FX3 that will focus to 11 yards. Are you sure?

Scrench
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi Scrench,

thank for the additional information regarding which Weaver to get. I have done some reading, and there appears to be a consensus that the manufacturing was rather inconsistent regarding the glass, some people report variation from scope-to-scope.

Regarding your question
This is the first I've heard of FT guys using an FX3 that will focus to 11 yards. Are you sure?
, I apologize for being imprecise. It is the Leupold 35x Competition that focuses down to 11 yards. Weight 21 or 22 oz, whichever spec sheet you want to believe. Here are some links for your perusal:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/t ... eries,+and (second message)
http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/t ... on+scopes- (second message)
http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/t ... 0x+and+45x (second message)

I have seen them for as low as $650, but since I am just starting, I am afraid of the magnification. So I will see - pun intended - how the 24x Target works for me when it comes back, and then make a decision. It also appears that I make a mistake regarding the 50' adapter, apparently it refocuses the infinity to 50 feet not yards.

Kindest regards,

N