Wanted: Pistol Silhouette Shooters

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Wanted: Pistol Silhouette Shooters

Post by Scrench »

I think I'm the only guy in my state who shoots airgun pistol silhouette, and this nonsense has got to stop!

I know there are active pistol silhouette clubs in Texas, CA, and the East Coast, and we need to get something going here, especially since we host the National Championship.

I prefer to shoot open iron sights, but any version you care to shoot would be welcome company, because I'm tired of dragging out, setting up the targets, and practicing by myself! It only takes 2 to make a class, so how about it? If anyone lives in or near the Baton Rouge area and is interested in giving it a go, please get in touch with me and we'll meet up at the range at the State Fairgrounds on Airline Highway. Pistols are so much fun because the animals are only from 10-18 yards, you don't have to carry around a ton of stuff like with a rifle, they weigh nothing compared to holding a rifle, and you won't hurt your back like I already did by assuming the unnatural rifle pose. Rules are the same as for rifles.

Let's have some fun!

Please email or call:

Richard Harris
225-767-7737
scrench@att.net
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Wanted: Pistol Silhouette Shooters

Post by cedestech »

In Houston, if closer I'd be game... ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

We shot it once years ago in Baton Rouge. I used my Aeron B-96 with open sights and classified as Master. Then we went back to rifles and never shot it again.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

Dee,

Why?

Richard
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

It just wasn't challenging enough. We only had 3 people shooting rifle at that time anyway. We tried it with scoped pistols as well using the Taco Hold and we all found that to be totally uncomfortable and made my arm hurt. So that was the end of that. Sold the pistol a long time ago to finance my 1712. No one really shoots pistols at the range. You should go shoot some SB silhouette in Gonzales if you want to shoot silhouette with other people and compete locally its available. You might be able to get some of them interested in air pistol while doing it. We got most all our new shooters from SB rifle.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

In due respect to Dee's reply I have the opposite opinion of Air Pistol Silhouette. The closest match is a 6 hour drive for us but we did make that drive in 2007 to shoot with the folks at Haltom City who hold most of the World Air Pistol SIlhouette records. We quickly found out that the idea is not to shoot a Master class score but to shoot the perfect 40 out of 40 every time. If you can do that then see how many 40 out of 40's before you miss an animal. Scrench, I suggest you contact the Air Pistol people at Haltom City Gun Club for advice because they were shooting a indoor match each week and then start your matches. We love the Air Pistols both any sight and iron sight. You can put together a good IZH rig for less than the cost of a good rifle scope. I encourage you to start the matches in your area!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

If I were you I'd start shooting IHMSA handgun silhouette with the group that shoots on the first Sunday of the month in Gonzales. A few of those guys may be interested in Air Pistol Silhouette since they are already into handgun silhouette.

Of course, you need to get the word out on the shooting websites, especially Bayou Shooter.

Dustin
Scrench
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Scrench »

I too believe that air pistol silhouette is just as challenging, especially with open sights, just a different discipline with the same results. So what if you can easily shoot a 40? How many times can you do it? How about 60's at the Nationals? To each his own. I already do practice with an IZH46 and now a Steyr LP10 I just bought. My Izzy will become my "try out" gun for anyone interested. I've already read their website and sent an email to the Haltom crowd, and their example means that all hope is not lost for this area. I invited them to come participate in the National Championship next year, and you and your crowd are invited too atomicbrh. Please spread the word so that at least once a year I'll have someone to shoot with.

Unfortunately I do not have a firearm handgun and am not interested in participating in that, as it would severely limit when and where I could shoot, be noisy as hell, and cost much more ammunition-wise. But a trip to mine that group may be in order, thanks for the suggestion from you both.

One other discipline and area I'm trying to build up is 10m Olympic style shooting at the Waddill Wildlife Facility airgun range here in town. It is my primary focus right now (trying to beat my PR's with the new gun), and that is the only place in town set up for it (besides my back yard). Drawing from two aspects of the same sport will increase my chances of finding interested participants in both.

Thank you all for your replies, suggestions, and your years of experience and expertise to help me out.

Richard