Air Force Air Rifles

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Air Force Air Rifles

Post by glen ring »

I am still searching for an air rifle. I shot a friends tx200 and I didn't like the twang, I shot a 10 meter rifle and it was darn heavy. Does anyone shoot the Air Force Rifles in Silhouette ? I want a gun I can shoot vermin with and occasionally shoot in a silhouette match. The company advertises the gun's power can be dialed down , they are lightweight and accurate.
Just Be Nice **==
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Air Force Air Rifles

Post by Dee »

Without going into a long discussion. NO don't get one. That is IMO only of course.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Dee

Please elaborate. I would hate to think laying down $1000.00 for an air rifle and accessories was a bad idea. Your story would be interesting and help me and others from making a mistake on an air gun purchase.
Just Be Nice **==
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

I never owned an Airforce but the brand is not well respected. I just retired from being a rifle coach at a big 10 school and we had success with the Hammerli AR20 for an affordable rifle for shooters that wanted light weight. I also read that the ar20 can be modified with a 12 fpe regulator if you need a bit more punch. I personally shoot a AA500 and it really holds well. The TX200 is the gold standard for the springer class, and you don't need the compressed air support.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

They just aren't all that I am afraid to say. Bad configuration of stock, crap trigger and when compared to a TX it is really crap, when compared to a true 10m match trigger it is the highest order of crap. They are a tinkerers rifle. The erector set of airguns in many ways. Some people love them and so all sorts of mods and trick them out. If that is your thing maybe give it a go. If you just want to shoot and want the best you can afford you need to look elsewhere. Even a TX200 with a scope is over 10 lbs a true 10m Target rifle is over 12 with a scope in most cases. So if weight is a issue look to the S400/500 etc.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Dee for that price range you can get into a Benjamin Marauder.
Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

FWIW, I am a "don't like heavy guns guy" also. (to which Steiger gives me constant crap about). I have cycled though a ton of rifles but currently have settled on 2 that are to my liking.

Target gun is a FWB 600. With the barrel weights removed it is far lighter then a FWB 300 or Anschutz 2002SSP, both of which are very nice guns and people shoot very high scores with either.

I've been looking for and finaly found a MKII TX200 in a Walnut stock. The MKII is a bit lighter because it doesn't have a full shroud and walnut is a bit lighter than beech. It's still a heavy rifle, around 2 pounds heavier then the FWB 600.

Another option is Prosport. Very accurate and lighter.

R9 and R1 will also be lighter and are plenty accurate.

Buy a rifle and start shooting. Worst case is you don't like it and resell it. Even if you loose a little money it's a learning experience.

;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?