HW77 with 25mm piston tune question

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
gard72977
B Poster
B Poster

HW77 with 25mm piston tune question

Post by gard72977 »

I have been looking for a nice older HW77 with the 25mm piston and found a Beeman HW77 in great shape and could not pass it up. Im looking at a vortek kit at 14fpe. Just wondering what fpe you springer guys are shooting?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: HW77 with 25mm piston tune question

Post by atomicbrh »

I do not like to see a post go unanswered on this forum. So, I will make an attempt to answer. I would say that if you are going to change springs in your HW77 at all that most people are installing a 12 fpe kit. The 12 fpe kits still have plenty of power with 7.9 to 8.4 grain pellets to knock down the Ram and are readily available for the smaller 25 mm. tube. I have a HW77K manufactured just after the change to the 26 mm. tube that I bought used. It was not a very expensive Air Rifle but it is rapidly becoming my favorite to pick up and shoot when I do not have much time. I have not done anything to mine. It is still factory stock with the original spring as far as I can tell and shoots great.
gard72977
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gard72977 »

Thanks for the reply. I am a amateur machinist. I think I want to build the same parts that Titan in the UK is selling. Top hat, XL guide and a couple of power booster washer that act like bearings. I will play with the width of the washer to give the power / accuracy it am looking for. I ordered a Leupold 3-9x33 to mount low on the gun.

I have been shooting it with a 2-7x28 and it is the best shooting air rifle I have ever shot.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I put an early generation 6.5 to 20 Leupold EFR on my HW77k. I bought that used also but it had been through the custom shop at least once and has the larger Leupold Dot installed. I like the HW's because of the wide open loading port. They are much easier to load when arthritis in the hands rears its ugly head. Keep us informed of how your build goes with your HW77K. Sounds interesting.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

I really like the HW77K and had one years ago that I did some work on....I installed the venom internals but keep the spring stock and it was silky smooth. The kit came with a new piston better spring guide and heavy spring but I did not install it , Did install a new high quality spring. power was a bit up but it shot and cocked a lot better and accuracy did improve.
gard72977
B Poster
B Poster

Post by gard72977 »

The gun is shooting at 10.5 FPE now and has no trouble knocking down rams. I really like the idea of the power booster washer because they spin like a bearing when the gun is cocked or shot. Im thinking about keeping the same spring for now and see where it ends up. Accuracy with acceptable trajectory is the goal. I went with a small Obj scope to keep it low on the gun. I love shooting silhouette and will buy a TX200 or 97 next year and make a acceptable silhouette rig. For now I really like shooting this old gun. It took a while for me to find the early 25mm piston version for sale.