TX200 Velocity?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
chickenplinker
Unclassified Poster

TX200 Velocity?

Post by chickenplinker »

What is a reasonable velocity to expect from a new TX200 Mkiii? This is my first gun. After ~150 shots I put it on the chrono and measured an average of ~750fps using JSB .177 8.49 grain pellets. That is a lot slower than the 900+ fps commonly advertised for this gun, though that figure was obtained with different (lighter) pellets. Is 750 fps acceptable for a new TX200 or do I have a lemon that needs to be replaced?
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: TX200 Velocity?

Post by richard »

Spring guns are funny animals. The velocity is a little low but the real questions are is it accurate and what are you using it for. If it is not accurate and does not cycle smoothly I would be concerned. Otherwise I would not worry. I am not a big expert but I have worked on lots of spring guns. I have owned two TX 200s and they were very nice smooth shooting guns. One shot well under 800 FPS with Crosman Premier lights but was great for silhouette and field target. The other one was an early one and I put a complete Maccari kit in it and it shot in the mid 800s. Also a fine shooter. I also rebuilt one for a friend and it shot in the mid 700s when I finished it but it also shot very nicely. I still have a pro sport which has the same guts as a 200 and it shoots in the mid 800s with the same spring as all of the 200s mentioned. Unless you are using the rifle to kill things with I would not waste a lot of time worrying about velocity. 750 is more than adequate for silhouette. The very very best ever silhouette gun I ever had was a 10 meter target rifle(Anchutz 2002), period! If you shoot it in field target just shoot in WFTF class(under 12 Ft Lb energy).
The other thing is just keep shooting it. 150 shots is not a lot. It may just get hotter as time goes by.
I've had buyers remorse before but never about a TX.
Richard
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

After a couple of years of moderate use my TX200 runs about 825 consistently. If you are using it for silhouette I highly recommend JSB Diablo doomed pellets. My TX loves them. Try various weights to see what yours likes best. You don't need a heavy pellet for this game just accuracy. Most important is to not damage the fins when inserting into the load port.
ppkny
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I've gone though a few TX's, have installed a couple Maccarri kits, and currently have a box stock MKII in Walnut. Don't worry about velocity if the accuracy is there. JSB's, CPL's are what most TX's like in the 7.8-8.6 gr range. I had one stock MKIII that was 900+ FPS but was rough and not accurate. I have had one with a Maccarri kit that was low 700's but the deviation with JSB Diablo's was only a few FPS per shot and it was completely dead, pull the trigger, thunk, very smooth. If it's accurate, don't fret the velocity.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?