Marking you "Zero"

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Marking you "Zero"

Post by snaketail2 »

How do you mark you "zero"?
I've been using a colored peel & stick (came from a plastic bullet box) and a line to indicate the "zero".
I'd say this is only about 50% successful - see photo. Hoppe's will soften the sticky stuff - need a better way to go back to zero.
Anybody have a better idea?

Thanks,
Michael
Zero.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Marking you "Zero"

Post by No1_49er »

After I've established my zero for elevation and windage, I use a Dremel with a small ball grinder tip and engrave a small pocket on the top of the windage knob, at 12o/c position w.r.t. looking down on it from normal hold, and similarly on the windage. Then fill the pockets with a small dab of bright yellow paint. I keep a paint marker pen just for that purpose.
My note book might say, for example from your picture, up three from centre = zero. But more importantly, the knob will be at 12o/c. Even a one click misalignment will be very obvious.
That might help?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

The best solution is an MVA veneer or soule site. Not only are they easy to use, fantastically repeatable, and incredibly well made; you also will not have to grind new notches in your sight if you change loads. :-bd
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

On my Williams sights I do something very similar. I use a peel and stick orange dot like people use for garage sale pricing. It is plain paper so it marks very easily. Scribe line across with a straight edge, then cover the whole side with good clear packing tape. Take a razor and trim around all the edges so it basically seals the sticker then take the razor and carefully slice down the groove. It hasn't failed me yet and it removable fairly easy when a new zero has to be made.

Side note, I find it more helpful to put all my elevations as a turns up from zero with zero being the chicken.
ie: C-0, P-.75, T-1.75, R-2.25..... Some people note the turns between animals which I think can get you in trouble.

Some people pick the fly poop out of the pepper and make all their sight settings with a veneer caliper measured from the cross bar to base on the sight, ie: C-0.235 P-0.412 T-0.570 R-0.725. While this would be the most accurate it is far too fussy for me.... =))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

I use pinstripe tape from the hobby shop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

I do the sticker thing, too, but I also add a mark on the knob. My "zero" is when the lines on the sticker line up AND the mark on the knob is facing the left side of the gun. Then, I start counting 1/4 turns from there.
dgslyr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dgslyr »

I just use the top edge of the tape.When I get a different brand or different lot number of ammo ,once zero is established, an X-acto knife cuts a sliver off and zero is once again marked.