Rifle for big bore lever gun

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Number10GI
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Rifle for big bore lever gun

Post by Number10GI »

tnchicknsnipr wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:03 pm The choice of 3030 is the favorite of most cla shooters. I have used a 357 mag with good results. Rams have been rung but it depends on the range you shoot at. Good rails and targets and you will knock them over. I use a 158 plated with 6 grs of titegroup on the first three. Try 180 gr with 14 grs h110 for rams. I have come to the realty that hitting the first three animals is were this game is won. Ram distance no matter who the shooter is can be the hardest. The 44 mag will have to be loaded hot for rams for best results. To slow and you can see the wide spiral of bullet travel. A friend of mine has been trying a new powder with 150 plated in 3030 with good results. Further testing to follow. I use 24grs varget with 150 grs plated on first three and 170 grs on rams with the 3030.

What brand plated bullets are you using?
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

Berry. From committs from spotter they don't powder like full metal jacket or hollowpoint. Acts like a spitt ball putting energy into the target. More like a cast bullet without the leading. The 170 are serrias but am changing to speer due to cost. Oops forgot 180 are serrias changing to hornady.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Hey guys. Before you go hacking off your buttstocks best check the rules. Rifle must be as originally configured. Adding a pad is ok though.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Brentd said...If my .45-70 was a legal gun, I'd try that too. A friend has one that shoots very soft.
[/quote]

I wasn't aware 45-70 wasn't allowed.
NRA Endowment Member
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:00 am Brentd said...If my .45-70 was a legal gun, I'd try that too. A friend has one that shoots very soft.
I wasn't aware 45-70 wasn't allowed.
[/quote]

The caliber is allowed, but my rifle is not legal. It is old 95 Marlin square bolt but the barrel has been replaced. I could always have it roll stamped an it would probably pass inspection, but it is not a legal rifle for competition. Too bad because its weight and length makes it hold really well offhand.
Number10GI
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Number10GI »

This morning I won the bid for a Winchester 94 on gunbroker. It is a Theodore Roosevelt commemorative edition, a bit gaudy with the embellishments these editions have but it is unfired with the original box. I really wanted the 24" barrel, my Marlin 39A and my Miroku made Winchester 1885 low wall have 24" tubes, as they offer a bit of weight to offset my wobble.

My next question is what brand and weight bullets do you 30-30 shooters use in your reloading? I really don't want to have to buy the expensive hunting bullets, are there any other bullets such as plated or FMJ that will work? What velocities are you running them at? Different bullet weight and powder charge for the distance or the same for all. Your help and suggestions are appreciated.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Number10GI wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:26 am This morning I won the bid for a Winchester 94 on gunbroker. It is a Theodore Roosevelt commemorative edition, a bit gaudy with the embellishments these editions have but it is unfired with the original box. I really wanted the 24" barrel, my Marlin 39A and my Miroku made Winchester 1885 low wall have 24" tubes, as they offer a bit of weight to offset my wobble.

My next question is what brand and weight bullets do you 30-30 shooters use in your reloading? I really don't want to have to buy the expensive hunting bullets, are there any other bullets such as plated or FMJ that will work? What velocities are you running them at? Different bullet weight and powder charge for the distance or the same for all. Your help and suggestions are appreciated.

Well, there is 2 ways to go about this. Starline is now making brass so there is your brass and there are a mirriad of choices from 110 to 170+ in bullets both jacketed and cast.

OR, you can just buy factory ammo. At the last 6 registered I have shot I have shot Winchester factory white box 150gr at the first 3 and Remington 170gr at the rams. It might sound expensive but it really isn't. You will probably shoot it less then a few times a year so a case of ammo is pretty cheap. +/- $0.75 a round. Plus you get good brass to start reloading on. I am up to 500+ on once fired out of my rifle Winchester brass and will load fairly close to full bore across the board. I mean you CAN download for the chickens but where is the fun in that? They simply disappear with factory ammo.... :)

Reloading or factory I have always got +/- 2MOA out of any Marlin or Winchester I have had. Iron sight. They tend to shoot well unless there is something really weird going on or you are trying to download.

This is all YMMV.... ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:44 pm Hey guys. Before you go hacking off your buttstocks best check the rules. Rifle must be as originally configured. Adding a pad is ok though.
This statement got me to wondering if an original Winchester or Marlin made as a full-blown schuetzen rifle would be legal. I believe both companies made them, but I have to think that there must be something in the rules that would disallow them. I guess I need to read the rule book again.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

BrentD wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:34 pm
Another Dang 9 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:44 pm Hey guys. Before you go hacking off your buttstocks best check the rules. Rifle must be as originally configured. Adding a pad is ok though.
This statement got me to wondering if an original Winchester or Marlin made as a full-blown schuetzen rifle would be legal. I believe both companies made them, but I have to think that there must be something in the rules that would disallow them. I guess I need to read the rule book again.
"Stocks must be of original configuration. Recoil pads, replacement butt-plates, and removable cheek pieces are allowed."

I know this has been hashed out by other people who enjoy arguing with the powers that be....

If the stock is a option for that model of the rifle then it is "original configuration".

Changing the crescent to shot gun is replacing the buttplate.

;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Changing the butt plate is allowed...
We should add a lady's shooting spot like they do in golf... :ymcowboy:
No offence to our actual lady shooters.
NRA Endowment Member
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:01 pm Changing the butt plate is allowed...
We should add a lady's shooting spot like they do in golf... :ymcowboy:
No offence to our actual lady shooters.
Some days I could identify as a lady.... or maybe one of the other 83 "genders".... =))
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

number10GI,
Here's some tried and true loads for that 30-30. One setting on your sights with no need to adjust for distance.
chk/pigs - 150gr sierra FN - 30gr varget
tky - 150 gr sierra FN - 33.0 gr varget
rams - 170 gr sierra FN - 32.0 gr varget
ppkny
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Screenshot_2019-01-24-12-44-40.png
Like this?!? :o)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Endowment Member
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Ok back on topic.
I've used 125 gr. Sierras or 130 gr. Speers for the first three animals and 170s for the rams. 150s work on the rams but you can lose many rams depending on how they are set.
I use H322, Varget, 748 all with good results. Welcome to the "addiction"!
As for brass I find lots of 30-30 laying on the range. If it still has the factory crimp evident it a good chance its just been fired. Look in the trash and you will find the empty box too. Factory ammo at Wal-Mart is cheap too. $16
NRA Endowment Member
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:48 am Screenshot_2019-01-24-12-44-40.png
Like this?!? :o)
I was told those pictures were deleted..... damit.