Best Pistol Cartritge Rifle ? ?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Best Pistol Cartritge Rifle ? ?

Post by K Danz »

For those looking for 25-20 cases. You can buy 32-20 cases from Starline. I think RCBS makes a die to squeeze them down to 25 caliber.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I have had two Marlins in 25-20, I have had two marlin Cowboys in 357. I have had a Marlin Cowboy in 45 colt. I have owned a marlin 1894 in .22 magnum. I currently have three marlin levers in 32-20 and one .357.....and I love the 32-20 round.

IF I were starting out today I'd buy a Henry .22 mag with the 24 inch barrel , put on sights, buy all the .22 mag ammo I could find and shoot.

I KNOW the .22 mag is not always 100% on rams but , for most of us, when the heck were you last clean going into rams ? Be honest....If most of us could be clean going into Rams and we only rung two or three rams we'd still be shooting pretty darn good .

I know some will say they want every target they hit but chickens and pigs are worth just as much as rams.

No reloading, low recoil, min sight adjustments, no chasing brass...Heck, I may talk myself into selling some Marlins !!
Just Be Nice **==
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Hard to ring two or three and shoot a Master score. :mrgreen:
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

37 is still master isn't it Merlin ?

I LOVE my 32-20 marlins, but I bought them when they were Cheap. Now...there aren't that many that seem to be for sale. For a new shooter, buy a Henry 24 inch barrel 22 mag, buy LOTS of ammo and just shoot it. The best PC shooters I know shoot a 22 mag. I've never shot a 40 with my PC guns, but one of my buds has done so with a Winchester 22 mag.

I think the price on a new Henry 22 mag with 24 inch barrel is about $450.00 dollars. MUCH cheaper than a Marlin or Winchester center-fire PC gun.

Just don't bring it to Oklahoma City , our air reset rams are about 70% if hit with a 22 mag.
Just Be Nice **==
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Glen, Did you see the Marlin 32/20 I posted in Market Place? It's not mine but I believe that he will work with someone on the price.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Dang Glen... Never shot a Master score in any class - to date anyway. I did shoot a 34 smallbore with 1 ringer on the Ram. Best I have ever shot by a good margin... If I shot a 34 with 3 ringers I would probably slit my wrists over it......LOL

I have yet to have a ringer with my .357 Marlin with downloaded handloads. 125s at ~1000 fps leave no wounded...... :twisted:

I can't help but worry a little about the availability of 22 mag ammo when the political winds change directions again.... and it sure is cheaper to hand load the pistol cartridge calibers than to buy 22 mag ammunition....

and - a question.... Does not a 70% fall ratio on Rams force you to utter a foul expletive? :((
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Merlin
I agree with you on the .22 mag ammo. My .357 cowboy and 32-20 Marlins shoot pretty darn good with a cast bullet. With a few grains of titegroup or Trailboss I can shoot as cheap or cheaper than feeding my .22lr.

Last year at the nationals I was confident and ready to rock ! I had been shooting VERY well all year and the first shot I took was at a ram with my 30-30...dust, clang, it just stood there. I think I cursed that Ram for a month.

We had... HAD some friends that shot .22 mags at our regional last year. They rang a few rams and got so perturbed at us they quit talking and wouldn't even eat with us at the dinner ! It wasn't our fault. They are air reset and take a pretty good wallop to knock over.

Rams seem to cause a lot of trouble at matches.

Come shoot with us sometime. We have more fun than most other folks.

Our first match is this weekend, we are furnishing Jeanne's calico beans and Jalapeno cornbread for lunch.

Oklahoma City Gun Club..sat, 0900hrs. There will be some Texas shooters there so you won't feel lonely.
Just Be Nice **==
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

dhatch
Where is that gun located ? I saw that post a few days ago, but figured it would be long gone by now.
Just Be Nice **==
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

glen ring wrote:Merlin
I agree with you on the .22 mag ammo. My .357 cowboy and 32-20 Marlins shoot pretty darn good with a cast bullet. With a few grains of titegroup or Trailboss I can shoot as cheap or cheaper than feeding my .22lr.

Last year at the nationals I was confident and ready to rock ! I had been shooting VERY well all year and the first shot I took was at a ram with my 30-30...dust, clang, it just stood there. I think I cursed that Ram for a month.

We had... HAD some friends that shot .22 mags at our regional last year. They rang a few rams and got so perturbed at us they quit talking and wouldn't even eat with us at the dinner ! It wasn't our fault. They are air reset and take a pretty good wallop to knock over.

Rams seem to cause a lot of trouble at matches.

Come shoot with us sometime. We have more fun than most other folks.

Our first match is this weekend, we are furnishing Jeanne's calico beans and Jalapeno cornbread for lunch.

Oklahoma City Gun Club..sat, 0900hrs. There will be some Texas shooters there so you won't feel lonely.
The NRA didn't give you flack for using resettables in a registered tournament? I'm sure the convenience is great on club matches.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Doodaddy

Nobody gives us flack about anything. We have great matches and have a lot of fun. The NRA is very good to us and we appreciate them.

Come shoot a match with us sometime and you'll see..or ask anyone that has shot at our Regional or monthly matches.

Our matches are fun, Jeanne keeps them well organized and we make sure there are no Drama queens or Cranky old guys.

Tomorrow is our first match of the year and we are furnishing a delicious lunch AFTER the jackpot shoot.
Just Be Nice **==
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

We shot re-settable targets in the small-bore silhouette (scoped) at the World Championships in France in 2002. If you hit them low at the base of the leg, ( they had no foot-plates ), it was about 50/50 whether they would go down or not.
Taps
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Glen, what's a jackpot shoot?
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Taps
Ours can be tough also. I personally like free falling targets, but our range is set up so we either shoot it the way it is or we have no program. The matches do run quickly with the air reset out to the 500 meter rams.

After we shoot smallbore and Pistol cartridge we have rabbit silhouettes we set up at 50 yards. We have a man on man shoot off. Both shooters get one round in the chamber with the hammer down. On the start, the first one that knocks down their rabbit moves on to the next heat. If both miss they are eliminated. We normaly give 10 bucks to the winner, but there hasn't been a winner for a couple of months and the prize is $40.00 this month. LOTS of fun.
Just Be Nice **==
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

glen ring wrote:Doodaddy

Nobody gives us flack about anything. We have great matches and have a lot of fun. The NRA is very good to us and we appreciate them.

Come shoot a match with us sometime and you'll see..or ask anyone that has shot at our Regional or monthly matches.

Our matches are fun, Jeanne keeps them well organized and we make sure there are no Drama queens or Cranky old guys.

Tomorrow is our first match of the year and we are furnishing a delicious lunch AFTER the jackpot shoot.
I only asked because the rules explicitly state that resettables can be used smallbore and airgun matches. They don't say that it's illegal for any other discipline, but the wording isn't necessarily exclusionary so the rules are kind of ambiguous in my opinion. I was only curious.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

G'day Glen

I wasn't complainin' about them, just sayin' what happened. The targets were the same for all shooters, so no-one is disadvantaged. If you hit them properly, they went down. When you shoot like me and pull the trigger when there is any part of the animal behind the dot, you have to expect some disappointments. :))

When you say at your club, are you talking about OKCGC? If so, Dan Z took us out there last year and we did a bit of shootin'.
That sure is a great set-up. To watch a 500m high-power range set up in seconds with the push of a button is something else!
I wish our ranges were anywhere near as good as that one. :mrgreen:
I shot my BPCR rifle there and had no trouble knocking down those re-settable rams. :D

Daniel
Taps