Mild steel loads

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
geo01
B Poster
B Poster

Mild steel loads

Post by geo01 »

I am trying to find a load and projectile weight that I can use in my dads Winchester 94 30/30. Should be simple enough except that the Big Bore targets that we have locally are only mild steel so sustain damage fairly easily. Anyone have a "mild" pet load that would work? Hopefully I can attach a photo of myself with the rifle when I was about 6 years old. Feels a bit weird looking at those photos now as it barely comes up to my knee but it is also a great feeling shooting it.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Geo
Commando kid no4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Mild steel loads

Post by Tlee »

Can't get any milder shooting powder than TrailBoss... Here's an entire thread on it;
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9964

In my experience it works great with lighter bullets on chickens, but I use at least 150gr projectiles on pigs and turkeys. On Rams (and sometimes turkeys) I use SR4759 with 170gr+ projectiles. If you don't already have SR4759 (it is now discontinued) I understand that Accurate Arms 5744 is similar in performance.

My .02,

- Tim
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

I'm in a similar boat. I just inherited my grandfather's WWII era Winchester 94 .30-30 and would like to use it for Cowboy Silhouette. I'm new to reloading and could use all the help I can get, thanks.

Off the shelf 170gr rounds scare my wife and I think she would enjoy shooting the rifle with lighter loads.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

CamP wrote:I'm in a similar boat. I just inherited my grandfather's WWII era Winchester 94 .30-30 and would like to use it for Cowboy Silhouette. I'm new to reloading and could use all the help I can get, thanks.

Off the shelf 170gr rounds scare my wife and I think she would enjoy shooting the rifle with lighter loads.
Heck, "off the shelf" 170gr factory loads scare ME, :)) I'm only good for one or two shots using them before the flinch factor sets in due to a shoulder injury.

Seriously though, I found that Sierra 170gr projectiles (or Rem-Lokts, if you can find them) at 2000fps with 31gr of Varget to be very adequate at taking down the ram 99% of the time and not quite as harsh as the factory loads. I did have an issue ringing rams with that same load behind a Speer 170gr though.... we rang 3-4 in a row one day using them, including a couple that were horn hits. Apparently that bullet wouldn't hold together long enough to take the target over.

Another option... what I use now is a 173gr gaschecked lead boolit running mid-1700fps. MUCH easier on the shoulder and I haven't lost a ram with it yet... And I certainly hit WAY more rams with it than the 2000fps loads.

:ymcowboy:

-Tim
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Camp, I use H4895 for the loads for my wife---pretty mild and they are accurate. I think Hodgdons suggests charges as low as 60% of their published load. Seems like the load I use for 130's Speers for her is 25 grains H4895---very mild and accurate and she likes shooting it. You will probably want something heavier for rams---this is a target, sugar beet shooting load that she likes.

Jon Carlisle
Cody, Wyoming
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Thanks for the tips guys!

Until I get my hands on the proper reloading equipment and supplies, I've been thinking about picking up some Remington Managed-recoil 30-30 ammo with 125gr bullets. At $1 a round, I probably won't be shooting it much, but figure that the Mrs. would be a lot more comfortable with it. Has anyone here used it for silhouettes?
geo01
B Poster
B Poster

Post by geo01 »

Thank you for the replies guys. Plenty of information there to work with. It will be fun shooting a rifle that was passed on to me and that has a lot of fond memories from when I was younger.

Geo
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I have the Winchester rifle my dad gave me in 1971. I want to give it to my grandson to shoot so I only shoot Cast bullets in it. I use a lyman 170 GC bullet and IMR-4198. The load is straight out of the lyman book. I will ring a ram occasionally but That's Okay. Shooting that gun takes me back to when I was 15. My wife shoots a 150 grain RCBS GC bullet on pigs and chickens with 7.5 grains trail Boss. She shoots an RCBS 180 gas check that usually drops close to 200 grains and it's pushed by trail boss also. There are a lot of good loads to shoot in your fine, old Winchester. There is a manual you can purchase " The Complete Reloading Manual for the 30-30 Winchester " that has 950 loads in it . I'm with Tim Lee...I'm not man enough to shoot factory loads in my 30-30. Midway usa should have everything you need to get you going. If you lived in Oklahoma I'd invite you over for a bullet casting, reloading party.
Just Be Nice **==
ywltzucanrknrl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ywltzucanrknrl »

Below are Remington’s specifications for the 125 grain 30-30 managed recoil load. I could not find the information on the 150 grain load.
Technical Information
• Caliber: 30-30 Winchester
• Bullet Weight: 125 Grains
• Bullet Style: Core-Lokt Soft Point
• Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
• Muzzle Velocity: 2175 fps
• Muzzle Energy: 1313 ft. lbs.
As far as will this work, I’d say yes except for rams, but I need to defer that to someone who shoots more matches at more locations than me. FWIW, the load I mentioned above for the 130’s is only running around 1,800fps from a 24” barrel. As far as reloading and cost goes, if I use jacketed bullets and with today’s component costs and depending on how I figure my brass cost, I’m into each round about fifty cents ($0.50) and not counting my time. This is $0.25 for a bullet, $0.12 for powder, $0.03 for a primer and the remaining for brass. The beauty of the 30-30 is you can shoot cast bullets around the 1,800fps range with good accuracy and they are easy on the barrel of your antique. Cast bullets cost quite a bit less and if you cast your own, I guess it depends on how you value your time and how much you like the hobby, but the lead doesn’t cost much if you scrounge. I’ll second the 4198 load with cast bullets---I shoot 173 grain gas check cast bullets out of my grandfather’s 30-30 with it and it is accurate and mild.
Anyway, maybe that dollar per round isn’t such a bad deal, depending on how you value your time and considering the cost of presses, scales, dies, trimmers, casting equipment and all that jazz you need to make your own. I don’t want to talk you out of reloading and casting, as they are my favorite hobbies, just presenting a realistic picture.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

I picked up some Remington Managed Recoil 30-30 ammo today and shot a few rounds at an 8" gong at 100 yards. There was noticeably less recoil than Remington's 170gr Core-Loct ammo. Accuracy at 100 yards was very good in my rifle and it shot a quarter sized group of three shots. The top two hits were shooting from a braced sitting position and the lower shot was off hand. Not sure if it will work for rams, but I really liked how it shot.

CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

glen ring wrote:If you lived in Oklahoma I'd invite you over for a bullet casting, reloading party.
Thanks for the offer. I'm from Fort Worth so we are almost neighbors!
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

Compared to Geoo1 your virtually next door neighbours...LOL :lol: :D :shock:
Geoo1 nice sky blue Belmont ute in the background Mate....
What part of Oz are you in???
geo01
B Poster
B Poster

Post by geo01 »

Hey Westy, thanks for the reply. I honestly can't remember the old blue ute all that well. It was replaced by the last model Kingswood that Holden bought out because us kids were getting to big to all fit in the ute. I do remember sitting in the back as we went to the local drive in to watch movies. The family sitting in the tray on a mattress. Just imagine a cop seeing that driving past today and having a fit. [-x Born and raised in Queensland and now living in Central QLD. How's about yourself?

Geo
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

Hi Geo Born and Raised on a Dirt farm at Redland Bay which is now all houses and still living in the area ,but always out on the farm Near Texas Queensland

Go Queenslander!!!LMAO :)) O:-) :))
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

As you are in Australia, try using 17gr of AR2207 behind a 170gr cast lead bullet. It shoots well out of my two '94's, has mild recoil and knocks the rams down. My own targets are all mild steel and I shoot at them with this load without damaging them.
A load of 10gr of Trail-boss behind 150gr Hawkesbury bullets does well on all the other targets if you want an even milder load.
Taps