What scale are you shooting

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
gag's
Unclassified Poster

What scale are you shooting

Post by gag's »

Hello shooters, Cowboys & cowgirls.

At my club so far we on only shoot SB Rifle Silhouette. But there have been rumblings of possible branching out to SB Pistol & SB Cowboy
maybe even both Rifle & Pistol. What scale targets are being shot. we just refinished our silhouette range with berms at 40, 60, 77 & 100yds.
But if we need different ranges I was thinking about portable stands for the new targets.
Thanks in advance

ED
WHY RUN YOU'LL ONLY DIE TIRED!!!!
Semper Fi.
One Shot One Kill.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

For smallbore cowboy rifle, pistol cartridge cowboy rifle, smallbore hunter pistol, and hunter pistol silhouette, we shoot 1/2 scale targets at 40, 50, 75, and 100 meters. We use thinner targets for smallbore and thicker ones for pistol cartridge.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Ed, smallbore rifle and cowboy are not compatible unless you set the rails to accommodate the cowboy targets that are much bigger than smallbore 1/5 size and then use it also for smallbore. Plus you have to provide 50 meter berm or portable stands for their pigs.

The distances for Cowboy and SB pistol are 40-50-75-100 meters. .22 Cowboy use 1/2 size targets and SB pistol use 3/8 size targets.
gag's
Unclassified Poster

RANGE UPGRADE

Post by gag's »

THANKS GUYS
I FIGURED WE WOULD HAVE TO SOME SORT OF PORTABLE TYPE STAND
EVEN IF IT WAS COLLAPSEABLE SAWHORSES WITH 3/8 THICK ANGLE IRON COVERING THE LEADING EDGE AND TOP FOR THE TARGETS THE SIT ON. WITH THIS WE CAN SET UP IN FRONT OUR EXISTING BURMS. I'LL LET THE GUYS I SHOOT WITH CHEW IN THIS AND SEE WHAT THE THINK.
THANKS AGAIN
WHY RUN YOU'LL ONLY DIE TIRED!!!!
Semper Fi.
One Shot One Kill.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

lone ringer wrote:(snip)......

The distances for Cowboy and SB pistol are 40-50-75-100 meters. .22 Cowboy use 1/2 size targets and SB pistol use 3/8 size targets.
Ed -

NRA Pistol Cartridge Lever Action/Smallbore Lever Action and NRA Hunter Pistol/Smallbore Hunter Pistol are all shot on 1/2 scale targets (we shoot them both at the same match locally).

We'll also use the 3/8 scale animals at smallbore rifle regulation distances for non-NRA sanctioned events in a "club match" category to try to generate interest in shooting NRA 1/5th scale classes.

I believe that smallbore IHMSA matches use 3/8 scale targets. I also recall they use 1/2 scale in Field Pistol category (but I could be wrong about this cause I've only shot it a couple times and they have MANY more categories shooting different DX/animal size courses of fire at most events than the NRA matches) .

--Tim
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

1/2 scale Silhouette

Post by Travelor »

One side benefit of the Club having the 1/2 scale RF animals is that they can be used for another local Club Match. Our Club and another here in Arkansas shoot 1/2 scale RF at the same time that we shoot NRA Cowboy RF Silhouette. This lets beginners in silhouette shoot the larger targets and have more success while being introduced into the silhouette sport - those damned little animals sure discourage new shooters.

My wife started with 1/2 scale and has now progressed into 1/5 scale. I do not believe she would have begun shooting silhouette if she had not started on 1/2 scale. We allow Juniors (under 16) shoot it with a forearm rest as they have not developed the upper body strength to control the rifles as well as they will at an older age.

Our Club has also started grilling lunch after the 1/2 scale Matches in an attempt to bring the whole family into the sport.

George
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.