It's getting that time....

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

It's getting that time....

Post by Bob259 »

It's getting that time again where we should be sending letters to the rules commitee for consideration for 2008 and beyond.

Again the purpose of this is to allow single shot 'period' rifles into SB Cowboy Silhouette.

If you agree I would suggest you copy the letter below and send to the rules committee for consideration.

Petition for Rule Change to Smallbore Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette
Equipment NRA Rifle Silhouette Rules - Section 3.1.3 C a

Overview:
We would like to petition the Rules Committee to consider the following changes to the rules for Cowboy lever action smallbore silhouette match equipment (NRA Rifle Silhouette Rules Section 3.1.3 C a) The current rules stipulate that only tube fed rifles are allowed to compete and do not allow for the use in competition of a single shot lever action rifle (e.g. Winchester Model 1885 .22). As an example, the Winchester 1885 rifle is a single shot rifle and a replica of that era. However, the current rule allows for the use of Semi-auto
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

I don't agree, leave the rules the way they are.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I'd probably get one if they did become legal, but it would sure turn the game on its ear if it happened. You'd be silly to continue to use the rifles allowed now if you could use a big 28" barrel rifle like that with half a mile of target radius and all that weight and length to stabilize the rifle for offhand shooting, as well as the much nicer shape of the bottom side of the gun for holding in offhand position. Not to mention that there would be no feeding issues anymore, so loads could be developed for those single shots just like they are for custom single-shot bolt action rifles, having any bullets that were legal seated right into the lands or anywhere along there that gave the best accuracy.

On a good day, I can shoot 37 or 38 out of 40 and that's fighting the not-so-hot design and triggers of my Marlin 57 and 57M rifles. A few others around here can shoot about the same. With rifles like that allowed, I think matches would come down to those who shot 40/40 in a shootoff most of the time. Our cowboy targets are just too big to allow those rifles, as much fun as it sounds.
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

i agree and disagree, i have a stevens favorite m30 that is short with a crappy trigger and is lighter than my other rifles scope :D not any ways competitive with a 39a marlin IT IS ALSO THE FUNNEST RIFLE I OWN :lol: so i wish there was a class i could use it in even if i stayed in b class for ever.

that being said a low wall winchester with a marbles tang peep is the other side of a 39a long sight radius and holds like you are on the bench.

perhaps the answer would be a buffalo class for low falling/rolling block
the stevens favorite would be out classes but ,damned if i dont feel like one of TR's rough riders when i shoot it.

regards
handsome dave
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

Lever Action is the only silhouette discipline I shoot anymore, and the reason is the rules are very clear on the type of equipment that can be used. IHMSA handgun silhouette was destroyed years ago by the folks who just couldn't be happy with the classifications and equipment categories and kept adding more and more until the sport just crashed under its own weight. Rifle silhouette started out as a sport where the average joe could just bring out his hunting rifle and have at it. (see article in July 1973 American Rifleman) Now look at it, almost totally ruined by shooters who will do anything to be able to stretch the rules and finagle an extra point or two.

We just simply do not need yet another equipment race here, the LACK of an equipment race is what is appealing in this sport.

If the guys with the single shots want to start their own game, that would be just fine and I might just have to go get one and join in. Meantime, let's leave the rules alone, please.