New Marlin 308

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

New Marlin 308

Post by glen ring »

Is the new Marlin 308 round legal in cowboy?
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Looks like it is to me. I'm not really sure it's necessary as the 30/30 does the job just fine and guns/dies/brass are a lot cheaper. Don't take this as a reason to not buy a new rifle, as it's always a good time to do that. :)
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Thanks jason, the only reason that I considered the cartridge is because I looked at the blue version of the rifle today and it really looks good.

I'll probably use the 30-30 due to the costs. I just like the longer barrel on the 308.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Don" think you can use it. Rules call for rimmed case. The excepton being 35 Rem
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Correction

Post by GTKF »

308 Marlin Express is a rimmed cartridge. My mistake
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

legal round?

Post by glen ring »

The 308 marlin looks to me like a semi-rimmed round, but I don't want to spend the big bucks to buy the gun and not be able to use it in a match. It looks like a good hunting round, but I want to shoot cowboy silhouette also. Who can I contact to answer this question to keep jme from making a big mistake?

Thanks for any help.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

legal round?

Post by glen ring »

The 308 marlin looks to me like a semi-rimmed round, but I don't want to spend the big bucks to buy the gun and not be able to use it in a match. It looks like a good hunting round, but I want to shoot cowboy silhouette also. Who can I contact to answer this question to keep jme from making a big mistake?

Thanks for any help.
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Best bet is

Greg Connors
NRA Silhouette

(800) 672-3888 ext 1474

He's probably at Raton this week
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Thanks....I'll give him a call and ask him about the cartridge. I'll post his reply.
Walt G
Unclassified Poster

Post by Walt G »

Keep in mind that the Hornady Leverolution factory loads are not Legal. And I don't believe that cases for the 308 Marlin Express are available except by buying the expensive factory loads.

Greg said at the Nationals they were going to test the Leverolution ammo to see if they would make it legal. Guess it failed the test because the last rules update outlawed it explicitly. They probably think the pointy tips are still not safe.

So, although the gun's legal, reloading for it may be a problem. That's what made me hesitate.

Walt Gregory
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

308 marlin

Post by glen ring »

I received an e-mail from the NRA silhouette division and it indicated that the 308 marlin would not be legal. No problem. I'm gonna buy a 336c in 30-30 to round out my cowboy guns. 39 in smallbore, 1894m in pistol and 336c 30-30 in cla. Now if it'll just stop raining here for a couple of days , I can attend a cowboy match!