Should I Shoot the Ol' Model 94

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Special Ed
B Poster
B Poster

Should I Shoot the Ol' Model 94

Post by Special Ed »

Hi y'all!

My dad just sent me his Model 94 30-30. He was going to sell it but realized handing it down to his oldest son was a better idea. He said he didn't think I'd want it...ummm...yeah...I'm a firearm collector (addict) so of course I want it :shock:

S/N puts it in production in 1973 so it's not the coveted Pre-64 version but he got this rifle back in 1975 and never - not once in the last 41 years - shot the thing. The only time it ever came out of its case is when we'd move to a new post and he had to register it. It's in darn near new condition (only a couple of small dings in the stock).

Since I'm getting ready to start shooting silhouette up here, I thought to myself, "This thing came at a perfect time! Now I can shoot CLA too!" But as I look at it, I'm wondering if perhaps shooting it on a regular basis would be a bad idea where value is concerned. My plan is to hand it down to my oldest nephew (wife and I have no kids) so it's not as if I'm concerned I might reduce the value for when I decide to sell it.

Am I being too concerned about this? Poor thing hasn't been used and I kinda feel sorry for it and want to rescue it so it can do what it was meant to do. I'm curious what y'all would do if you were in the same situation:

1. Put her in the safe and bring her out once a year to oil her up and make sure she's happy so when I hand it down it's still perfect
2. Shoot it occasionally to keep her limber
3. Feck that - it's a gun and needs shootin' so shoot the snot out of it in silhouette every month (or so)

Cheers,
John
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Should I Shoot the Ol' Model 94

Post by Merlin »

Man I would really really hate to shoot the gun if it were mine.

But if I absolutley just could not find any way to afford to get a Marlin I might stoop to go ahead anyway.... :ymdevil:
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Special Ed
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Special Ed »

Thanks, Merlin.

Affording a Marlin isn't a problem. But...ummm...I had an issue with Marlin quality control a few years ago (barrels twisted on two different brand new 336 30-30s) and swore I'd never give them any of my money again. I know - sacrilege. Anyhoo - I could find a different 30-30 and not have to use the one my dad gave me.

So let's add that to the mix - if you had the option to buy a new 30-30 for CLA, would that affect whether or not you'd use this one instead of buying one?
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Hey Ed.... Me being a smartass aside....

I shoot a Winchester 94 Canadian Centennial myself... I had a few issues with it when I bought it as the shell lifter was racked into a rainbow and it was basically non functional. After I dis-assembled it (a few times) it now runs OK and it shoots Really nice. Not near as slick as a Marlin in the way the action functions, IMO, but I like it...

As for your rifle I would shoot it with no worries and try my best to wear it out...! :D

Just my .02
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Special Ed
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Special Ed »

Damn! I missed the fact that you were being a smart ass!!! I only left Texas a little less than 2 months ago so perhaps the meter on my Smart Ass Detector hasn't quite calibrated at this latitude yet :D

I think I get what you're saying. Would be a shame to shoot it, on some level, but that you'd still rock the snot out of it because, damnit, that's what guns are for. It's not like it's a $20K rifle now that's going to skyrocket in value.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

if i had it i would shoot it.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I'd shoot the snot out of it. IMHO, not shooting it is like have a attractive wife and never, well ...,,,,,, you figure it out.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

There's literally millions of 94's and aside from being Dad's it isn't a collectible rifle. Id shoot the snot out of it, make some memories, and know that all the minor wear and tear on it is from having fun.
- Joe
Special Ed
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Special Ed »

Well....with support like that, how could I not shoot the snot out of it?

When I eventually give it to my nephew, he will shoot the snot out of it so what in the heck would I have saved it for?

I shouldn't have second-guessed myself to begin with.

Thanks, y'all!
John
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I'm with Joe...shoot that rifle. My dad gave me one in 1971 and I love it. I occasionally shoot it with cast bullets and it will be in the tree stand with me this deer season.
I hope My grandson will shoot at his first deer with it, just like I did. How cool is that ?? Hunt with a Winchester purchased by your GREAT GRANDFATHER...that's way better than winning some ribbon.

Shoot that gun sir.
Just Be Nice **==
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Shoot it. Better to pass it on with some stories to go with it. I have a family heirloom and I'm in a similar situation (I will pass it on to a nephew) I shoot a box of shells through it every year at least.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Special Ed
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Special Ed »

I agree - best probably to have some stories to go along with it...like...I never could hit a ram with it but I had a heckuva good time trying :D

I talked to my dad about the rifle last night. He said he got the rifle in June 1973 from the original owner - a Huey pilot in Viet Nam who eventually retired as a LTG - when they were stationed at Ft. Leavenworth together. I was friends with the guy's son both at Leavenworth and then 10 years later when he and my dad were stationed at the Naval War College together. Anyhoo...the guy never shot the rifle either (he only owned it for a few months in 1973 before he traded it to my dad for a .357 revolver).

So - this thing has actually never been fired except for maybe a test shot before it left the factory. What are the chances I need to have it checked out by a competent gunsmith before putting a round down its pipe?
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Clean it good and if there isn't any rust I would not bother with a gunsmith. If there is any rust or other reason to question it I would get it looked at. Meh who am I kidding, I'd just fire it!
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Special Ed
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Special Ed »

I should have known better than to even consider questioning whether or not my dad kept this thing as pristine inside as it is outside. No rust...no dirt. Only a little bit of lint it picked up from the soft case it's been stored in for 43 years.

And he wonders why I believe it's tough to live up to his expectations #-o
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

G'day all,
As has been stated earlier, it's not a "rare" gun, they made millions of the things. If it were a pre-1900 unfired one it would be worth a mint. Pre '64 also worth serious coin. 1970's, nah. I've got a bunch of them, they all shoot great.
Shoot cast lead bullets and look after it and you'll never wear it out. But you can have sh#t-loads of fun trying :-bd
Taps