Which rifle?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Which rifle?

Post by Ken Green »

I have decided to start shooting CLA smallbore matches. Now, I have to decide which rifle to go with.

My question is: Which rifle would you choose and why would you choose that rifle? Thanks Ken
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Which rifle?

Post by Jason »

I've tried about half a dozen different rifles for smallbore CLA over the past decade or more. My recommendation would only include two rifles, neither are currently available. One is the Marlin 39A, and pretty much any year from 1945 to 1987 (just prior to addition of the cross-bolt safety and rebounding hammer) can be great. The other is the upcoming 24" version of the Henry Frontier rifle. If I were buying, I'd wait until these became more available and get one of these. You'll be guaranteed to have available spare parts if needed and can use readily-available Williams FP-TK sights for dovetails and a Lyman 17A front sight in the dovetail in the barrel.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I second what Jason said about the 39a. At the Nationals, the smallbore match looks like a Marlin 39a convention. they must be nearly 3/4s of the rifles on the line - and for good reason, they shoot very very well. I like the early 1950s versions.

I'm NOT a fan of the Henry rifles however. The ones I have seen are not well made in my opinion. Clearly, others disagree, but in comparison to the 39a, well, there is no comparison.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Jason's opinion stands true. Thing with the Henry if you get one that doesn't shoot, they WILL make it right... you pick up a old 39a that doesn't shoot (yes they are out there), you just bought a wall hanger....

YMMV, IMHO....

;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I'm with the 39A crowd. Thats what I shoot and I have never regretted the choice.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

A wise Master level shooter gave me some good advice earlier this year. You can't buy your way to better scores.

I've gone from a $300 Henry, to a $600 39A to a $1000 9422. The result is my scores stayed the same and my wife still kicks my butt with her Henry Frontier!
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

CamP wrote:A wise Master level shooter gave me some good advice earlier this year. You can't buy your way to better scores.

I've gone from a $300 Henry, to a $600 39A to a $1000 9422. The result is my scores stayed the same and my wife still kicks my butt with her Henry Frontier!
Yeah but now you have 3 rifles! Thats a win all by itself.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

CamP wrote:A wise Master level shooter gave me some good advice earlier this year. You can't buy your way to better scores.

There is some truth to that, but you can't be Master if your rifle won't shoot accurately (or dependably). I am glad you don't let your wife shoot that 39. I'm sure she'd kick my butt even worse than she probably already is.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

One thing no one considers is the more modern guns including the 39A's made since the late 50's have a rear stock designed for using a scope. The older guns have more drop in the rear stock, and lend themselves nicely for shooting iron sights. It took me a while to figure this out.
I had a bunch of 22 lever guns and have finally settled on two 1946 Marlin 39A's. I have them set up exactly the same, and will shoot one with the other as a back up.
Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Thanks for your replys and the information. The one thing about the older 39A's that concern's me is the ones that might not shoot good anymore. Then you are out the cost of the rifle for something that you can not use for the matches. But with the new rifles like the Henry Frontier, the barrels are new and not shot out (so to speak).
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

OldRanger wrote:

Yeah but now you have 3 rifles! Thats a win all by itself.
You've got that right! :-BD
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

I got a 39a and it's shooter for sure but I have to say I think my BL-22/24" is a nicer gun to shoot IMHO ;) :D 8-}
I know that won't be popular with the marlin crowd but have a look at the Bl-22 you might be surprised ...

1/2 the length throw and it's new LOl
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Westy: Thanks for letting me know.

I am seriously thinking about the new Henry Frontier with the 24" octagon barrel. I wonder how long it will be before they hit the store shelves. :?:
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

a old marlin 39a is the way to go if you can find one that does not cost high. henry is coming out with a loner barrel rifle. might be a good rifle for the game.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I just picked up my new Henry Frontier with the 24 inch octagon barrel. I fired 5 rounds through it to test for function. The action was smooth and the trigger wasn't too bad at all. My new sights are scheduled to arrive tommorrow via mail. I am looking forward to getting them on the rifle.