Which rifle?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Which rifle?

Post by Merlin »

Ken... Interested in which sights you bought (and the front sight height) and how they look when you get them installed. Would you post a few pictures when you have them on the rifle...?
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Merlin wrote:Ken... Interested in which sights you bought (and the front sight height) and how they look when you get them installed. Would you post a few pictures when you have them on the rifle...?
With the Frontier, you'll want a Lyman 17AMI, which is .494" tall. The AHB is too short and the AUG is too tall.

I recommend the Williams FP-GR-TK rear sight with a .050 aperture. You can also get a replacement Gib lock screw, with a knob, from Brownells. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 50427.aspx
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

There was some type of screw up on the shipping. The package with my sights was shipped where it would take 4-7 business days to get them. I don't know how this choice on shipping was selected. They were shipped from the business using UPS, But then transferred to the post office for delivery. My sights have been sitting at the Memphis post office for 4 days since the 16th. The post office has them scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday the 22nd. :(( :-l This sucks.

Once I get them in and installed on my rifle, I will try to post a couple of pictures.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I received my sights in the mail today. I will try to post some pictures by this weekend. I did manage to get the gib lock screw shortened and installed in the sight. I filed off plenty of the excess threads from the screw. Now I can tighten the screw down and there is plenty of clearence between the rifle and the end of the screw. I will find out this Saturday morning how the rifle shoots. Now I just need a smaller rear site to look through. The one that came with the William's rear sight is too big. I will have to get a rear disc with a smaller diameter hole in it. I guess there is all ways something that needs to be changed or just not right :)) .
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

For a smaller rear sight Picture, look into a Merit Disc.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Thanks Chuck. I have been looking at them but I don't know which shank size is the correct one.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

Try this, all their info. Great people to work with. Told him this was my last option to keep shooting irons, or go to scope- "we won't let that happen" was his reply.

https://www.meritcorporation.com/size_info.html
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Hey Ken... How is the sight combo working out for you? :)

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

Merlin: I put the Williams FP GR? TK rear sight and a Lyman AUG set up on my rifle. Overall I am pleased with the set up. I have the long elevation screw and the rear apature with the .050 opening on the way. I am having trouble with photo bucket so I am unable to post any pictures.

I will probably be giving the Merit disc with the lens in it, a closer look when the funds are available. It would be nice to see the front sight clear. But then again, I might not like seeing the targets being fuzzy :)) =))

The sight setup is working out pretty well for me. Today I shot in the Louisiana State CLA smallbore and pistol cartridge match. This was only my second match with the sights. I shot last week to get a qualifing score for the state match today. I finished 2nd in smallbore and 1st place in pistol cartridge after a shoot off. In the PC match, I was using CCI standard velocity and rung 2 pigs with dead center hits. I didn't realize the pigs would not go down with the standard velocity. LESSON LEARNED!!!! ~x(
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Ken Green wrote:Merlin: I put the Williams FP GR? TK rear sight and a Lyman AUG set up on my rifle. Overall I am pleased with the set up. I have the long elevation screw and the rear apature with the .050 opening on the way. I am having trouble with photo bucket so I am unable to post any pictures.

I will probably be giving the Merit disc with the lens in it, a closer look when the funds are available. It would be nice to see the front sight clear. But then again, I might not like seeing the targets being fuzzy :)) =))

The sight setup is working out pretty well for me. Today I shot in the Louisiana State CLA smallbore and pistol cartridge match. This was only my second match with the sights. I shot last week to get a qualifing score for the state match today. I finished 2nd in smallbore and 1st place in pistol cartridge after a shoot off. In the PC match, I was using CCI standard velocity and rung 2 pigs with dead center hits. I didn't realize the pigs would not go down with the standard velocity. LESSON LEARNED!!!! ~x(

Nice job, Ken. Getting the vision thing sorted out can be a real challenge. I'm far-sighted so I see the animals clearly without correction, but the front sight is blurry. I've settled on a pair of 0.5 power reading glasses that allow me to see the front sight and the animals are still relatively clear.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Like CamP - For the vision thing.... I selected a pair of reading glasses by finding a pair strong enough to see/focus on the hair on the back of my hand with my arm extended. (thinking this was about the distance that a front sight is on my rifle) This really helped with my shooting and while it may not be as good as a lens in the rear sight it gets the job done....

TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rr1220 »

CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

rr1220 wrote:http://www.safetyglassesinc.com/Reader- ... y-Glasses/
these have worked well for me
Those look really good and cheap too. I wish I'd have stumbled on to them before I spent a bunch of dough on glasses that didn't work well for me.