When does the Rules Committee decide on Arpetures

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

When does the Rules Committee decide on Arpetures

Post by boats »

I make all changes to rifles, ammo, everything, this time of the year. Start shooting serious don't mess with anything . Be nice to know if we will be allowed Arpeture front. Have to change both rimfire and PC ammo. Which means new sight settings.

Any idea ?

Boats
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: When does the Rules Committee decide on Arpetures

Post by ppkny »

I heard rumors that they were approved but nothing official. It's usually in the next issue of SSUSA. I started experimenting late last year with a front aperture using various circle diameters. I found that with my current 6 o'clock hold on the low post insert there was very little difference in the elevation from that to the circle insert as far as getting on the animal. Diameter or shape (maybe rectangle for rams) seems to be critical. I'll start up again when the weather gets better here in the NE.
ppkny
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Pete, one of the committee members told me the rule they voted on only allows for round aperatures.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Al, Okay I'll be creative and use a oval, that's round isn't it. LOL
Pete
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Pete, ROUND, CIRCULAR, not oval. Push the envelope, geeze.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

cslcAl wrote:Pete, ROUND, CIRCULAR, not oval. Push the envelope, geeze.

Al Foust
Does that include the REAR one as well?

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Maybe we should just wait till the official rule is announced!

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Thanks all but, What I want to know is when any change will be final. Just ordered 4 bricks of ammo. Am going to spend time and money getting new zeros with my small post and bead. If Arps are going to be ruled on may wait and run two sets of sight settings.

I guess it's going to be communicated to the members in the usual way. Not very well.

Boats
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Ok here's the official word. We received our 2017 classification books this week and there was an addendum with the new rules attached. Here it is:
Scan Jan 17, 2017, 3.25 PM.pdf
Al Foust
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Team Sierra Member
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

Thanks Al Just what I wanted to know.

I proved to myself years ago with my BPCS Rifle I can shoot a smaller offhand or cross sticks group on paper actual size and distance silhouettes with a small post and bead. Trouble is much older now poor light condition wide open rear arpeture the front bead gets fuzzy and causes a miss over the back. Eye finds the solid part while the fuzzy part is the true top of the sight, Shot goes high.

With Arpeture front the group size is larger but it never goes out of focus. I may be able to learn how to shoot it as well as the post. Know my post good days are limited.

Somebody else may see it different.

On the zeroes and again way my eyes see the targets, there are small differences in zero post and bead vs Arpeture. Way back when couple of us debated it and ended up running some test with a 10 M air rifle on the NRA 10 M paper silhouette target. Rifle bench rested indoors. On Rams the Arpeture finds center with a bias toward the Rams head. Wind adjustment measurable difference depending on which way the Ram was facing. Turkeys we thought we could see the same thing, differeces so small not sure. Pigs and chickens no measurable difference Arp to Post and bead.

CLA targets so big practical matter not enough to worry about. BPCS I made small wind adjustment when going to Rams and using Arpetures. Then dropped them in favor of Post and Bead.

Boats
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Am I reading that correctly that the front sight insert rule has NOT been changed? Still a post or post with bead, no aperture inert?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

You better read it again.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Cimarron Red
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Cimarron Red »

Thanks very much, Al!

Gary
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

cedestech wrote:Am I reading that correctly that the front sight insert rule has NOT been changed? Still a post or post with bead, no aperture inert?
They added "or a fixed, non-magnified round aperture" to the rule.

- Tim
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I got that same insert included with our books. I do indeed read that as the rules have not changed yet, but that is a requested change that we'd know after the Board of Directors meeting in mid-January where it's discussed and finalized. That seems to be to suggest that it's very likely that it will happen but there still needs to be one more stamp of approval applied to it.

On a related note, I did my own informal test with apertures over the weekend and I couldn't see any improvement with a round aperture over the medium Lee Shaver post and bead insert that I already use like a dot reticle in a scope. Proper adjustment of the adjustable rear aperture made them both clear enough that misses are due to my wobble and trigger discipline instead of my vision. :)