Winchester 1873

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Winchester 1873

Post by glen ring »

Does anyone have experience with the New Winchester 1873 ? I have looked at one in .357 and they look and feel pretty cool.
Just Be Nice **==
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Winchester 1873

Post by Jason »

I've drooled at the pictures of the Sporter Octagon Pistol Grip model here, but haven't even seen one in person.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... -grip.html
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

Hi Glenn,
There is one at a pawn shop here in Salina. I've looked pretty close at it and they are very nice. But I would buy a Cimarron every time over the Winchester and for a couple hundred bucks less. Fitting and finish is way better on the Cimarron and my 32-30 shoots better than I can. Just my $.02.

Kevin
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

I have one of the short rifles in 44-40. I like it a lot. The only real complaint is the tall front sight they put on it, took all the rear sight elevator to make 100 yds. I replaced that with an ivory blade.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Thanks Kevin. They look cool, have a long octagon barrel and are heavy. May be better for the sass crowd.
Just Be Nice **==
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Glen, I bought one last year and really like it. They are a little heavy, but the balance is great and it's not muzzle heavy. It's also very accurate.
Also if you don't want to use a tang sight, you can remove the dust cover and mount a Williams grooved receiver sight on the dust cover rail.

Al
Team Sierra Member
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

cslcAl wrote:Glen, I bought one last year and really like it. They are a little heavy, but the balance is great and it's not muzzle heavy. It's also very accurate.
Also if you don't want to use a tang sight, you can remove the dust cover and mount a Williams grooved receiver sight on the dust cover rail.

Al
Any chance you could come up with a photo of that sight setup? Sounds interesting.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Moto Vita, Here you go.
IMG_1058.JPG
Al Foust
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Team Sierra Member
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Al Foust let me shoot a couple shots out of his last year. As he said the balance is better than any lever gun I have ever put to my shoulder. I like a heavy gun and this fits the bill. I am thinking or retiring my Marlin for one of these just need to stock up the piggy bank a little more. Mike Haynes
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Al
Was the trigger work much of a challenge ?
Just Be Nice **==
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Glen, I had my gunsmith do it and it came out great. Right at 2 pounds, no creep.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member