Accurizing Marlin Lever Gun

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Accurizing Marlin Lever Gun

Post by ChuckD »

One thing to also consider is distance. Master scores at 100, and stretching out to 200, especially with open sights (and by most standards crude equipment) makes it tougher. Just a thought. I have seem many shoot great at 300 and walk away from the 600 yard line shaking their heads.

Also in your last paragraph, "out of the many who knew nothing", I hope you didn't take offense to humor I participated in about this tread. The thought of accurizing a rifle with quality of barrels they have, exposed hammers with turtle like lock times, marginal sights and not build for refined off hand stocks, is funny. They're 3 minute rifles. Part of the challenge and charm of CB silhouette.

chuck
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I LOVE humor and I have been on steel chickens long enough to expect ( and endure) the banter from folks who obviously don't have the vaguest idea about the topic on hand.

Al that babbling is worth it to get a reply from a seasoned competitor and engineer like Joe Atwood who refuses to go with the status quo and actually rolls up his sleeves to intelligently attack and find a solution to the problem AND be kind enough to share that hard earned knowledge free of charge.

I LOVE humor and banter so please bring your 3 inch thingy to Oklahoma City sometimes and shoot with us friendly folks.

xoxoxoxoxoox
Just Be Nice **==
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

Wow!
Guess I got my answer.

FYI-

Your response and last 2 words = an oxymoron
chuck
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Come shoot with us sometime chuckee. We all have fun with each other at our matches, but we don't want to hurt any feelers.
Just Be Nice **==
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

Of coarse Glen, you could always just trade it in on a Winchester. :wink:
Taps
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Taps
I've had three and still retain one my father gave me in 1971. I might have should kept the two I sold.

I'm very excited about the lever Action nationals and hope to have some fun with that guy that's going to be in the tower.
Just Be Nice **==
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Joe

I've been shooting my XLRs again this morning and I'm still amazed at the change. Do you think those same techniques would be beneficial on my 1894cl 32-20 ? It's accurate and I only shoot an 1100 fps load in it , but I like my guns performing at their best.
Just Be Nice **==
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I'm no lever action scientist. I read a lot and try things that I think will work.

Here's a thread from Shooters Forum that summarizes all the research and tricks to tuning a lever gun. https://www.shootersforum.com/leverguns ... ction.html

Bottom line, hanging tubular magazines and junk from a mediocre quality barrel gives marginal accuracy. Once you understand this, it's easier to accept 3 moa accuracy.

What I really need to do is spend more time pulling a trigger and less time tinkering. But it's good to know my rifles are putting the bullet where I let it go.

and no, I have not relined my Marlin 39A...yet. I'm now on my 4th small bore rifle with hopes this one will work. Wasn't this game supposed to be inexpensive?
- Joe
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

I remember reading an article about the 30-30 and the author said "problem isn't the cartridge, its the rifle its used in"
So true. But they are a hoot to shoot. don't need 1/2 moa to knock down a CB Ram. But you'd better be able to hold and squeeze real well.

chuck

Thanks for the research- interesting all most articles are from the 1980's............
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I sold my 25-20 1894cl to one of my buds. It was a good shooter and with a scope mounted and off the bench would usually put the rounds inside two inches.
He methodically went to work on it and tells me it's now staying right at an inch after doing his version of Joe's process.

I reckon the same attention to detail will work on an 1894cl, so I may try to tackle mine.

Joe
I was in the same search for a great 39. We have 6 of them and I've had a scope on each looking for THAT 22.
Dan Zimmerman told me he was not winning in some kind of 22 sport until he tried REALLY good ammo in his gun...at least 50 rounds to see if they liked each other. I bought really good 22 ammo and found my marlins now are tack drivers..much better than I can hold.

I guess the message here is don't be afraid to try something new. Contact a SUCCESSFUL competitor, pick their brain and try what works for them and steer clear of the unsuccessful guys that are constantly stating " That won't work"
Just Be Nice **==
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

I have to agree, that there are a lot of cheapskate .22 shooters that will never see the best their equipment can do because they won't spend the money it takes to get the best ammo. If there is one thing where, "you get what you pay for," it's .22 competition ammo.

If you want to shoot the best, buy the best. Lapua Tenex is it for me. If the match matters, Tenex is what I'm shooting.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

glen ring wrote:I LOVE humor and I have been on steel chickens long enough to expect ( and endure) the banter from folks who obviously don't have the vaguest idea.
Prune juice fellas. It does a body good. :))
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I have a good assortment of quality match 22 ammo including Eley Tenex. It ain't the arrow... Tanto wants a lever action Anschutz with Lilja tight bore barrel and the #18 2-stage trigger.
- Joe