Lil Gun

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Lil Gun

Post by edgehit »

Anyone have some Lil Gun bedtime stories to share? I've been playing with it and so far I'm amazed.
- Joe
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Lil Gun

Post by Tlee »

I've replaced every H110/W296 load I previously used with ballistically equivalent loads using LilGun (except for one infrequently used revolver load).

I find it to be much less "tenth of a grain fussy" than H110/W296 for the most accurate results and much more consistent across a wider variety of projectiles and primers, regardless of velocities. I also now don't have a firm requirement for magnum primers, as was the case previously... Actually MOST of my LilGun loads show the best accuracy and standard deviation using standard primers.

Pressure indications I've seen with LilGun have been minimal (practically non-existent, even with loads/velocities at the very top of end of the chart). Whereas, in the same guns, I would frequently get (over)pressure signs barely over what I'd consider mid-range loads on the chart with H110/W296.

Only downside I can find with it (versus ballistically equivalent H110/W296 loads) is the additional heat produced. If I shoot 10 rounds of my heaviest 357mag ram load in a 5-6 minute period through my 1894s, the barrels are definitely hotter to the touch than my heaviest H110/W296 loads shot at the same rate. I believe this also why Freedom Arms warns their revolver owners to not use it over concerns of possible forcing cone and backstrap damage.

My .02,

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Joe, I have been using LilGun in my 25-20 and 32-20's for years. It's very accurate, meters well, and is not temp. or position sensitive.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Thank you Tim and Al.
- Joe