357 AMMO

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

357 AMMO

Post by ppkny »

What are people using for 357 & 38 ammo for PC and CLA shooting. I just purchased a Marlin 1894C in 357/38 cal. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day
Some of my mates use 357's and the standard load seems to be a 158/162 gas checked casty on top of 16gns of 4227 for everything bar Rams(even though we were knocking them down in practice with it). For rams they use a 180 RCBS gas checked Silhouette bullet. With this they trim a extra 50 thou off the cases so it'll feed and use 13grns of 4227. Both loads have rifle primers. Also start 10% less and work up. The 180 hits like a train!!! If you don't cast the 160gr hornady silhouette bullet seems to work OK.
Juddy
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

animal size

Post by ppkny »

Juddy,
Thanks for the help this should get me started. I've only shot SCR so far with my Marlin 39A and haven't been to a PC or CLA match yet.
I'm also confused when it says that the PC targets are the same size and distance as the SCR targets. They must be thicker, right? I know the club that I shoot at if you hit the SCR targets with a 357 they would not hold up.
Can you please explain what's the difference in the PC and SCR targets.
alsmith
B Poster
B Poster

Ranier 125gr Hollow Point

Post by alsmith »

I have good results with Ranier 125g hollow points, with 7.5 g of Unique and Federal Small Rifle Primers for Pistol Cartrige.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Pete, The PC targets are all 3/8 thick. The SCR are chickens 3/8, pigs and turkeys 1/4, and the rams 3/16. Target thickness has become a sore subject with me lately as I have shot on several ranges that did not have the proper targets. Some clubs have been using IMSHA targets for PC and they are 1/2 thick. Al
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

AMMO

Post by ppkny »

Al, That's what I've been told. Guys that shot at Bradford in May said they used the PC targets for SCR at that range.
What ranges are you shooting SCR, PC and CLA currently. I need to get some scores in PC and CLA prior to the PA states in late September at Bradford.
Thanks for any help.
Pete
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Pete, I have shot several matches at Bradford and they have never used PC targets for SB when I was there. We shoot CLA the 4th Sat at CSLC. The match is in the afternoon after out HP match. Also Tiaghaton Sportsmen shoots all three on the first Sat and PC and SB every Thursday night. We also may be having some Thursday night matches at CSLC in Sept. I'll let you know when it is approved. Al
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

357ammo

Post by ppkny »

Al,
Thanks for the info. I was just relaying what I heard about the Bradford setup, probably shouldn't have said anything without first hand knowledge. All I heard was that the targets were thicker than the ones the shooter was used to shooting at but that doesn't neccessarily make them wrong.
Pete