32-30 Loads

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
TomJ
B Poster
B Poster

32-30 Loads

Post by TomJ »

Good Evening - I recently purchased a Marlin 1894CL in .32-20 and am looking for reloading information, e.g., bullets, powders, and loading information. I've not loaded for this cartridge before, and any suggestions and/or caveats would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Re: 32-30 Loads

Post by Hattrix »

I really like 3.5gr of WST with a 120gr lead flat point. Very accurate. Zero recoil.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

11 hrains IMR 4227 with a Sierra 90 grain. Shoots under 1" at 100 meters. Very little site adjistment. I found that crimp presure can make or break you with the 32-20. Alot of expermenting was needed with the crimp.
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

4gr Hodgden Universal behind a 115/120 RNFP cast bullet.
Taps
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

The latest Lyman Reloading manual shows a load of IMR-4198 and a 100 grain jacketed bullet as their accuracy load. We use that powder with the listed load pushing a 100 grain xtp bullet. We have a 100 yard range 10 feet out our back door. We have tried countless combos and that Lyman load is the best one so far. There were some 1894 cl marlins made with micro groove barrels. Our three are not. Mine has the Ballard type rifling, but HATES lead bullets.Jeanne's 32-20 cowboy shoots anything well. I always try to scope mine to do load testing .
Just Be Nice **==
TomJ
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TomJ »

Thanks to everyone for your input. Have a good day.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

44 Mag, would you mind expounding on "crimping" the 32-20?

I'm shooting a 25-20 right now and have found through a lot of trial and error that crimping is key to accuracy. Even if you have the optimum powder charge/bullet combo, poor crimping can spoil accuracy. With the 25-20, I've found that a light crimp, I mean just barely crimp, is the best. That thin--walled case does not lend itself to a hard crimp.

Jim Luke
TomJ
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TomJ »

With regard to crimping, does the same apply to the 32-20? As long as I'm asking, what make dies are folks using? Thanks, Tom
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I crimp the xtp bullets. I use RCBS dies. The RCBS expander is .309 If my memory is correct. I use a 311 expander for cast bullets. I size them at .313.
Just Be Nice **==
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Jim, I have found the same with the 32-20 that you have found with the 25-20. A liter crimp is better. I would crimp them just so the bullet would not move in the case and that was the best ( I even had a few bullets pushed into the case in recoil). I don't know if there is a way to figure how much crimp pressure a guy has on a bullet but I sure wish there was. As you said even with the best load with to much crimp and it would go rite to hell. I am really not seeing that with my 357. It must be just a quirk with those thin bottle neck cases.

Mike Haynes
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

My buddies were talking about neck tension just yesterday. No crimp here and use jacketed bullets. There's too many variables to control to apply the exact same crimp pressure on every round. And the lower the velocity, the more bullet pull out force affects accuracy at 100 m. I'm not saying you can't control crimp's effect on bullet pull out tension, but I've got better things to do with my time. And as a previous poster remarked, it would be nice to have a strain gauge to monitor bullet seating force. They are available for arbor presses.

For me, the best way to control neck tension with jacketed bullets is to anneal necks, chamfer the mouths, and monitor brass round count. No crimp. No case trimming. My 25-20 brass lasts a long time.

I have a friend who shoots schutzen matches and he drove home the point that bullet neck tension is a serious factor on accuracy by allowing me to shoot his schutzen rifle off bags at 200 yds. It was a 32 wildcat cartridge not much different than a 32 H&R. He casts his own 115gr and lubes with 50/50 blend of alox and bees wax. The rifle was a falling block single shot. You fully insert the bullet into the rifling then chamber the cartridge behind it. The 2 components are not connected. He explained this completely eliminates the effect of neck tension on accuracy. I then shot a 3/4" group at 200 yds with cast lead bullets. Remarkable.

Lead bullets is another story. I gave up on it because the learning curve was too steep and I don't have the time to figure it out. I did figure out in the 25-20 that too much bullet lube was wreaking havoc on accuracy.
- Joe
TURKEYSFEARME
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TURKEYSFEARME »

115 grain cast with 3.5 grains green dot
I have shared this load with several other people who now swear by it, there's just something about green dot and cast lead it works well in every cartridge I have tried :D
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Wow Joe/Jim:
This is wonderful information. I've been tightly crimping my 25-20s with the Lee FCD and thought was doing OK...guess I can do better.
Now its time to experiment with "no-crimp" and find a better solution.
Thanks for sharing this.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."