Thinking about getting an 1873 in 357 Mag...

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Thinking about getting an 1873 in 357 Mag...

Post by Jason »

Due to both work and family commitments, I am not going to be able to go to the Iron Man out in Montana this year. To console myself during this time of great disappointment (at least that's how I might sell the idea to my wife :) ), I'm considering getting myself a new cowboy rifle. I shoot a Marlin 57M in 22 Mag now and have done very well with it (usually upper 30s), but I occasionally ring a ram even with my enhanced ram loads and the cost/rarity of 22 Mag ammo is annoying. The two rifles that I'm considering are both model 1873 but from two different manufacturers.

Cimarron (Uberti) 1873 Deluxe Sporting Rifle .357 Magnum/.38 Special, 24" Octagon Barrel
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1873-d ... arrel.html

Winchester Model 1873 Sporter Octagon Pistol Grip, .357 Magnum/.38 Special, 24" Octagon Barrel
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... -grip.html

I'm leaning toward the Cimarron due to heavier quoted weight (I like barrel-heavy rifles) and a few reports of better fit and finish than Winchester. The Cimarron also has case hardened finish instead of the plain blued finish on the Winchester (that costs extra for Winchester), but I don't really care either way. I am looking at the 357 instead of 32/20 or 25/20 due to the availability and low price of components, ease of loading, and the option to use it occasionally in centerfire cowboy matches. Now, with all of that said, I have some questions that I hope others can help me with.
  • Does anyone know if the Cimarron comes drilled and taped for a tang sight? The Winchester specifically has that in the description but the Cimarron doesn't. I tried a Marbles tang sight on my Marlin 336 and didn't exactly fall in love with it. I think I might like a tang sight on the slightly different configuration on the 1873 stock, though.
  • Is it possible to do both matches with only two loads, with only needing a heavier load for centerfire rams? Is it possible to have one load to do all four PC animals, without beating up PC chickens, and and still be dependable for centerfire pigs and turkeys?
  • Is the very slow locktime on the 1873 design anything to worry about? It's not like other lever action designs are all that much faster.
  • I have also considered the Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited rifles, but I very much prefer pistol grip stocks. The prices are similar, with the 1873s actually being fairly available. What am I going to be missing if I go with an 1873 like the ones linked above instead of the 1894 Cowboy Limited?
Thanks for any experience you might be able to share here. Also please feel free to talk me out of spending yet more $$$ on yet another silhouette rifle. :))
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Thinking about getting an 1873 in 357 Mag...

Post by Hattrix »

Jason, I have a Cimarron '73 short deluxe in 32-20 and wouldn't trade it for anything else. They do not, however come drilled and tapped for a tang sight. You have to drill one additional hole. You can remove the dust cover and an Williams FP-TK will slide right on the dovetail rail. Second, I have had no issue with lock time on the '73 compared to my Marlins that I shoot in other matches. I don't know much about the Winchesters that are now out, but I can whole heartedly recommend the Cimarron.
cwmoss
B Poster
B Poster

Post by cwmoss »

Jason, you will be missing nothing. The Uberti 1873's are or can be made very slick. I had one with a 20'bbl, but sold it and now have one with a 24" bbl. I, like you, wanted the extra weight and the 4" longer sight radius, doesn't hurt. And, they are just gorgeous. On the 20" rifle, without knowing about the Williams setup, I drilled and tapped for a tang sight. I didn't like it at all, and then found out about removing the dust cover and using that dovetail. That setup is on my new rifle.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Was removing the dust cover on your Uberti difficult? I could not remove the screw on mine for love nor money.
Am now looking at getting a Marbles tang sight. What was it that you disliked about the tang?
I hit a 16 x 16 inch steel plate at 300 yes with the factory sights on first try. I am very happy with the accuracy of mine.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Message Steiger... He has both and shoots them both well.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

OK, thanks. I'll do that. But I didn't know they made left hand, lever action rifles.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Jason, Several of us here in Pa have been using the new Winchester 73's. I really like mine. It is a little heavy, but the balance is perfect. I took the dust cover off mine and put on the Williams TK that's made for a dovetailed receiver. The barrels on the Miruko guns are smooth as glass.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

cslcAl wrote:Jason, Several of us here in Pa have been using the new Winchester 73's. I really like mine. It is a little heavy, but the balance is perfect. I took the dust cover off mine and put on the Williams TK that's made for a dovetailed receiver. The barrels on the Miruko guns are smooth as glass.

Al Foust
Thanks, Al. I'm a little surprised to hear that the Winchester is heavy. Do you know what the actual weight of your rifle is? The Winchester website says 8.0 lbs for the rifle I linked above. The Cimarron site says their version weighs 9.3 lbs, which is one of the reasons that I was leaning toward the Cimarron.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Owning both a Uberti and a Winchester, altho not in 357.. I would recommend the Winchester head and shoulder above the Uberti. Both are good rifles, but the Winchester is much smoother, better trigger, and nicer wood.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Jason. If I remember correctly it weighs 8.5 lbs.
Team Sierra Member
cwmoss
B Poster
B Poster

Post by cwmoss »

dhatch wrote:Was removing the dust cover on your Uberti difficult? I could not remove the screw on mine for love nor money.
Am now looking at getting a Marbles tang sight. What was it that you disliked about the tang?
I hit a 16 x 16 inch steel plate at 300 yes with the factory sights on first try. I am very happy with the accuracy of mine.
Not hard at all, just make sure you have a proper fitting screwdriver.
Didn't like the tang for no particular reason, just didn't like it after it was on.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Thanks. I did spend time to make sure that I did use proper fitting screwdriver, maybe I still got it wrong.
But, do you still have the Marbles tang sight, and if so would you consider selling it?
Thanks.
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

dhatch wrote:Thanks. I did spend time to make sure that I did use proper fitting screwdriver, maybe I still got it wrong.
But, do you still have the Marbles tang sight, and if so would you consider selling it?
Thanks.
I have a 32-20 73 in a Uberti with the 24" Barrel and we have found the trick to removing the screws is to heat them or the screwdriver as they use linseed to hold them in place. Once this is heated it comes out with the greatest of ease. I also have a Japchester and they are a beautiful rifle also IMHO there's not a whole lot between them. Also I drilled the hole in the tang and find using a Marbles sight works a treat for this Bloke!! 9outta 10 rams can't be wrong can they LMAO
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

before you buy look at the henry big boy steel. The rifle is accurate and about half the cost of a Winchester. I have about 850.00 with sights and all in mine. Can buy a lot of powder and bullets for the difference. Gun is drilled and tapped for a Williams 336 sight. That same rifle is available in a new caliber 327 fed mag which maybe the hot new caliber for pc rifle. You can shoot 32 hr mag also.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

tnchicknsnipr wrote:before you buy look at the henry big boy steel. The rifle is accurate and about half the cost of a Winchester. I have about 850.00 with sights and all in mine. Can buy a lot of powder and bullets for the difference. Gun is drilled and tapped for a Williams 336 sight. That same rifle is available in a new caliber 327 fed mag which maybe the hot new caliber for pc rifle. You can shoot 32 hr mag also.
I have looked at the Henry rifles. With the great quality for the price and also the support for shooters that Henry is providing, I'd be considering a Henry if they made one that met my criteria. The Big Boy Steel doesn't really do it, though. I want at least 4" more barrel length, a heavier/octagon barrel, and a pistol grip stock. If Henry made a rifle like that, I'd buy it over either the Winchester or the Cimarron.