Tang peep sight vs tang vernier sight

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Tang peep sight vs tang vernier sight

Post by DonM »

Tlee wrote:
Another Dang 9 wrote:Tim thanks for that info. I've never thought about it like that before. It would definitely explain why I'm always pulling the gun off the target. :ymcowboy:
Only took me about 8-9 years to figure it out... And the person that pointed out was, of all things, a Physical Therapist with a very sharp eye... He noticed it one day in a video I showed him of our different rifle stances when I was trying to figure out what stance would aggravate my back issues the least. He noticed a very slight twisting motion in the rifle just before the shot broke, that was apparently my thumb pressure opposing the trigger pull.

DonM.... IMO, everyone's grip requirement is slightly different.... And I'm not about to say that this works for everyone. Lord knows it is a semi-unnatural feeling when you 1st try it if you've decades of gripping a stock like you're gonna give someone a vigorous handshake. I've seen folks shoot well with a white knuckle death grip on the stock, and then others' (like mine, NOW) where the rifle was literally resting bridged between their shoulder, cheek, and off hand support where about the only pressure from the triggering hand was the trigger finger pressure itself. Yes, this results in the CLA gun reacting more with recoil, but for some folks, it IS still more consistent (and it's not like we're shooting a 30/06 or larger who's recoil would cause the rifle to be hard to control).

Just my .02, YMMV, it may not work for all, etc, :-@

-Tim
Been shooting lever guns for 50 + years. Never heard of laying the thumb along side of the tang sight base until the CAS folks discovered lever guns and tang sights. I well remember a saddle ring carbine 94 with the marbles tang sight, that thing made a 300 wby. seem like a pop gun.
Folks need to do what they think they need to do, and it might do well for folks to try both ways. For me I'll keep gripping the rifle the way I've done it for a very long time, and that means laying the thumb up over the top of the stock to better control the trigger pull and recoil.