Reloading tips for accurate 357 rifle loads

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Reloading tips for accurate 357 rifle loads

Post by dhatch »

I figured you were jokingly serious. If my Uberti likes them I'll post results.
If it doesn't like them and then if Dodaddy doesn't want them, then I will sell them.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I still have a few hundred of the Hornady 160 grain silhouette bullets. They shoot well in my Marlin Cowboy. I still have a few hundred Nosler 180 grain silhouette bullets. They shoot well also. My favorite for PC and the first three animals in big bore is a 140 grain XTP pushed by titegroup. For Rams in big bore it's a 180 Nosler or 180 xtp with a max load of 296. We shot a 357 in big bore for a while and it's not the most reliable choice for Rams.
Just Be Nice **==
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

I plan to shoot my Uberti .357 at our local match some in big bore because I like it so and it looks great, but when it matters I will shoot a 94 Win chambered in .32 Win Special. It hasn't rang a ram yet. But, dadgum, it kicks like a redheaded mule!!!!!! o-+ =)) =)) =))
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

glen ring wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 6:16 am I still have a few hundred of the Hornady 160 grain silhouette bullets. They shoot well in my Marlin Cowboy. I still have a few hundred Nosler 180 grain silhouette bullets. They shoot well also. My favorite for PC and the first three animals in big bore is a 140 grain XTP pushed by titegroup. For Rams in big bore it's a 180 Nosler or 180 xtp with a max load of 296. We shot a 357 in big bore for a while and it's not the most reliable choice for Rams.
I'd give 1/2 my kingdom for 1/2 a pound of Titegroup!!!LMAO
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Westy wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 5:19 pm I'd give 1/2 my kingdom for 1/2 a pound of Titegroup!!!LMAO
Try AA Solo 1000 for a very similar (better?) low recoil load with good accuracy and low recoil.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Merlin wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 5:10 am
Westy wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 5:19 pm I'd give 1/2 my kingdom for 1/2 a pound of Titegroup!!!LMAO
Try AA Solo 1000 for a very similar (better?) low recoil load with good accuracy and low recoil.
Merlin -

I was lead to believe that Solo1000 is no longer available. I used it for years for thousands of 7/8oz 12ga trap loads. From an economy perspective it loaded way more 12ga shells per dollar than any other powder, at least at the time.

Worked great until I tried it on a really cold day. Found out what "squeaker loads" were then.... The wad barely made it out the barrel!

I switched (back) to 700X after that cold WX experience with it.

- Tim
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

I have never shot anything loaded with Solo when the temp was below (or much below) freezing. I use it on 9 mm and .40 S&W for various action pistol games and for my .357 in PC in my Marlin. Burns considerably cooler than TG and it seems to work a little better than TG (less/no leading) - IMHO.... :mrgreen: I bought my last batch from Midway for 144.99 per jug.
I haven't heard that it is being discontinued - Midway still shows it as available as of today.....
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

For those of you who have replied here or by PM with loads for your 357, when you mention Hornady XTP bullets are you referring to the HP or the FP bullets? I haven't seen anyone mention the XTP FP bullets, and have only seen a few mentions of the HP bullets. When looking through my different bullet options, I noticed that Hornady has what they call "flat point" versions of their XTP bullets in two of the weights that I'm looking to develop loads with, 125 grains and 158 grains. I picked up a box of each at Cabelas over the weekend just to see the difference. Their "flat point" bullets aren't actually flat point, but they're pretty close. I'll take a picture later today of the 125gr XTP HP and FP bullets side-by-side, but the FP bullets look a bit like the nose is made up of copper petals that got pushed flat onto the lead core, leaving a small gap in the middle. The XTP FP bullets are also rated for higher velocities than the HP, so I'm wondering if they might perform a bit better on target due to the nose being mostly enclosed in copper.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Jason wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 8:46 am ...(snip) Their "flat point" bullets aren't actually flat point, but they're pretty close. I'll take a picture later today of the 125gr XTP HP and FP bullets side-by-side, but the FP bullets look a bit like the nose is made up of copper petals that got pushed flat onto the lead core, leaving a small gap in the middle. The XTP FP bullets are also rated for higher velocities than the HP, so I'm wondering if they might perform a bit better on target due to the nose being mostly enclosed in copper.
Jason -

I don't use XTPs anymore in 357 PCCLA, however when I did I saw absolutely no difference between the FN and HP projectiles. For PCCLA velocities and targets, you'll see no difference at the target... I use Rainier Plated and all the PCCLA targets fall reliably with 125s (except for maybe extreme edge hits which wouldn't fall any better no matter what projectile is used).

I do still occasionally use XTPs in 158gr for the Chicken, Pig, & Turkey targets and I do prefer the FN version "just in case" over the HP, as I have seen a few (non-standard thickness) pigs that can be a bit stubborn regardless of velocity. Not sure the HP wouldn't take it down just as reliable, it's just I use the FN version when I can get it.

-Tim