25-20 Loads

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 25-20 Loads

Post by snaketail2 »

I have a similar Marlin 1894/.357, with a set of expensive Lee Shaver sights. And, I wonder the same thing - why don't spend my time shooting it rather than chasing a load for an obsolete cartridge that uses hard to find components?
I once told myself I like a challenge - but I think I'm about over that.
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Stop the reloading madness and get a 22 wmr. Ammo is plentiful now. No reloading. Minimal recoil. Hornady 45 Critical Defense takes rams. Most ammo groups less than 2”. Some of it 3/4”. And it’s very flat shooting.

Save the 25, 32-20 and 357’s for ranges with heavy set rams
- Joe
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

The Hornady 45 critical defense loads shot groups >6" at 100 meters from both 22WMR lever action rifles that I tried them in. They shot considerably better after I enhanced them which was basically reloading. Factory 22WMR ammo of all types fails to knock over our regulation pistol cartridge rams about 40% of the time. Also, I can reload 357 Mag ammo significantly cheaper than I can buy 22WMR ammo and can tailor the load to get great groups and 100% knock down.
1894User
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 1894User »

As much as I like the 357 I will stick with the 25-20. Have already done the hard part and I love that only turkey and rams need any sight adjustment at all. Sent a e-mail to Speer asking directly if they were dropping the 75gr bullet. Have not had a reply. Good news is I still have 8 unopended boxes. 9 of the 60gr Hornady. There are just too many of the rifles out there for someone to not make jacketed bullets for them. Pointed out to Speer that it took less than a week for all major distributors nation wide to sell out.

Back to the load bench. Temps are getting back into the mid 40s. I can shoot at those temps.

JW
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Rather than call Speer I suggest we all use this form - http://ideas.speer-ammo.com/ - use the "Feedback button -
to express our wishes.
If enough people want the 75ge Speer FN back they may see the light.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
1894User
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 1894User »

Sadly the reply from Speer is that they are no longer producing the 75gr bullet for 25-20. See message traffic below.

JW

RE: Bullets / Reloading
speerexpert <speerexpert@VistaOutdoor.com>
To kormedic01@yahoo.com
Jan 10 at 8:24 AM

James,

At the current time we don't offer this or have plans to make this product. You can submit a request for this at this link. http://www.innovation.vistaoutdoor.com/

Cody B./Technical Service Rep.
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer
(800)379-1732

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2017 4:33 PM
To: speerexpert <speerexpert@VistaOutdoor.com>
Subject: Bullets / Reloading

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]

Message: You are no longer listing a bullet for 25-20. Has the 75gr. Hotcore bullet been dropped? This was the most accurate bullet made for this round and its loss would be terrible. Last time it was available it sold out in under a week. I know as I purchased 1,000. Tried to go back the next week for another 1,000 and they were all gone. Natchez, Mid-South, Graf and Sons, Midway USA none available. There are a fair number who use this bullet in PCLA Silhouette and it would be hard to replace. Remington is out of the bullet business and Hornady only makes its 60gr bullet every 18 months or so. (It also sells out quickly.) Please do not drop this bullet.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

They dropped the 100gr. 312 dia. for the 32-20 a few years ago too never to return. They were the best.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Hornady still makes the 60, 85 and 100gr XTPs in .312" so it's not as bad for the 32-20. I even use those 100gr .312" XTPs to make plinker loads so my kids can shoot the Arisaka in 7.7 Jap that my wife's grandfather brought home from WWII. They shoot very well.
L. Rivard
B Poster
B Poster

Post by L. Rivard »

Sorry to be commenting at this late date, but hopefully better late than never. One of our Master Class PC shooters has been using a 25-20 with a case full of Pyrodex. He claims the accuracy is great, and he has been winning a lot of matches. Something else to try.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

I now have some 25-20 brass made from Starline 32-20. Should I fire-form them before using them in a match - or does it matter?
Michael
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Personally, I'd fireform them at the match. the difference will be small at most. In no way would I let fire forming prevent me from participating in a match. Go, shoot, have fun, and if you don't shoot real well, blame me and your unformed brass. You have a built in excuse, so go!
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Load’em and shoot’em.
- Joe
1894User
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 1894User »

I fire formed mine before I started load development. Looking back not sure that was really required.

Note that Midsouth shooting supplies currently has Hornady 60gr FPs. Get them while you can.

JW