Iron sight barrel mirage?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Iron sight barrel mirage?

Post by cedestech »

30-30, 90+* air temp, barrel smoking hot, front sight looks like a belly dancer... Deal with it or is there any tricks to help? Googled and actually found little in the way of fixes...
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Iron sight barrel mirage?

Post by dhatch »

We have large fans at our range. Today I saw a well known shooter holding his rifle in front of it.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Hey that's pretty dang cool! Pun intended. Thanks Tlee.
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I've seen that before but doubt it'd have much effect between banks..... :) It's the 6th through 10th shot that is the worst.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

cedestech wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:07 am
I've seen that before but doubt it'd have much effect between banks..... :) It's the 6th through 10th shot that is the worst.
Yeah, I'd question its effectiveness in a match where the 2nd string doesn't require a target reset.

- Tim
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I'd be curious to see if it encourages condensation in the bore as well. Might could cause a pretty big shift in POI on the first shot after its use. It may not aid condensation at all either; I just can't help but wonder.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Doodaddy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:27 am I'd be curious to see if it encourages condensation in the bore as well. Might could cause a pretty big shift in POI on the first shot after its use. It may not aid condensation at all either; I just can't help but wonder.
The fan wouldn't cool the barrel below ambient temperature... there wouldn't be enough of a temp differential for condensation to occur. :)
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

cedestech wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 am
Doodaddy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:27 am I'd be curious to see if it encourages condensation in the bore as well. Might could cause a pretty big shift in POI on the first shot after its use. It may not aid condensation at all either; I just can't help but wonder.
The fan wouldn't cool the barrel below ambient temperature... there wouldn't be enough of a temp differential for condensation to occur. :)
Excellent.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image