SBCLA Rookie Report

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
DnL627
B Poster
B Poster

SBCLA Rookie Report

Post by DnL627 »

Howdy folks. As I only recently picked up Smallbore Cowboy Lever Action silhouette shooting, I thought I would put together a series of recaps of my first few months of experience in the sport while the memories are fresh and lessons are still being learned. I’m hoping this will be beneficial to future new shooters or those of you lurking and thinking about taking a crack at SBCLA. As a friendly reminder, this is just one person’s experience and opinions, your mileage may vary.

Background
I’ve been shooting recreationally with friends and family since I was about 12. I started shooting trap and sporting clays recreationally in college. I picked up the action pistol sports (USPSA, Steel Challenge, and informal club matches) when I was 23. So while no expert by any means, I can say I have a lot of experience in a variety of shooting sports. However, shooting silhouette or any sort of precision rifle sport is something I have never done before.

As I mentioned in my very 1st post, forum member TLee and I struck up a conversation during our club’s swap meet about silhouette and invited me to give it a shot at our club’s monthly SBCLA match. This was my very first exposure to the silhouette sports. Despite being an NRA member for years, a regular follower of a variety of shooting blogs, being active on the Youtube outdoor and shooting sports community, and even attending an NSSF conference about opening up a shooting range, I had not been exposed to silhouette shooting until that 1 on 1 conversation with TLee. I’m someone really dialed into the 2A community and I didn’t even know it existed until it was smack dab right in front of me.

Leading Up to the First SBCLA Match
Now that I decided I would give SBCLA a whirl, TLee sent me a great email run down that contained info and some links to videos about silhouette and a news piece about our club’s matches. To try to be a bit more informed, I did some research on my own. I found and reviewed the NRA’s official rules. I tried finding and flipping through some of the very few blogs I was able to find on silhouette. I also discovered there is almost no real videos of substance on silhouette online.

Gear wise, I felt I was pretty much set. Our club offers some loaner rifles set up for the SBCLA game, but I had a Henry Small Game Rifle in 22lr for some time and wanted to use what I already owned (stubborn much?). While I plan to post a review to forum sometime down the road, the highlights of the rifle were that it had a 20” octagonal barrel, a comfy large loop lever, and Skinner peep sights installed from the factory. I’m not a fan of the buckhorn style sights that come with most Henry’s. I just don’t shoot them well. I didn’t want to go through buying a new rifle and then having to find sights and have them installed, so I always held off a buying a Henry despite liking them. When the Small Game Rifle appeared it had everything I wanted in a lever action 22 so I saved up the cash and sprung for one. I did not intend to use it for silhouette when I purchased it. It had been used as a go to plinker for me and my family, but I felt it would do the trick.

Aside from the gun, I had all the prerequisites already accounted for in my range bag. Glasses, muffs, leather gloves for steel targets, binoculars, a flag for the rifle along with a pack of Federal bulk 36gr CPHP 22lr. I was now ready for the 1st match.

First Match
I was NOT ready for my first match. I made it the match about 10 minutes before it officially said to show up to help set up (lessons learned from USPSA), only to find I was late to the party. The early birds had already set up the chickens, pigs, and half the turkeys. I jogged out to help set up the remaining targets.

When that was done I found TLee, our match director, and introduced myself. He walked me through the match format, safety info, and etiquette. So far so good. During the practice session before the match, I discovered my windage was fine , but my elevation was out of wack for the ranges we were shooting. I ended up dialing my sight down to its lowest setting in order to get on steel for turkeys. I then had to figure out holds for the targets on the fly as I did not have a spotter. Just as I wrapped up kinda-sorta-maybe finding where I needed to be on turkeys when practice time wrapped up. I was going to need to figure everything else on the fly.

Since I did not have a partner, I was paired with a veteran shooter named Heidi. I did my best to keep my mouth shut and ears open. As we shot the courses of fire, she was very patient and offered small tips that seem obvious after I’ve shot a few matches, but I was oblivious to being so green at the time. Reset targets from the bottom rail up so they don’t fall on you if the wind kicks up, follow through on your shots and don’t rush your reload, pause and reset on a shot if you need to, stage your ammo ahead of time so you don’t need to fumble finding rounds during the ready. She was a great spotter and gave me feedback on how to effectively call shots for my partner. If you are a vet, please be patient with us newbies. Share what you can, even if it feels obvious. My friendly experience with my partner for that match gave me SOOO much valuable info.

At the end of the match, it turned out I had the highest score out of all 4 of the unclassified shooters and won a pin. All with a whopping 26/60 :). I had a great time and found a new challenging sport I enjoy shooting. The next report will cover my experiences from my next 3 matches….after I shoot my fourth this weekend.

Takeaways For Rookies
Aside from the tips mentioned under the First Match...
- If you can, sight in your rifle ahead of the match! I was set up to plink cans at 20 yards, not turkeys at 75 yards. I know better, but I didn’t put all the pieces together until I was practicing at the match.
- Don’t buy special gear or guns ahead of time. Shoot the match with what you have or utilize your club’s loaners. You will learn what you will need with time and experience. The sport is friendly to new comers in that regard, take advantage of it.
- At your first match, find the match director/range officer and introduce yourself. Let them know it is your first time shooting the match and ask for a brief on the match and safety. Ask what you can do to help. By letting them know you are a rookie, they can help find you a partner (ideally an experienced one ) to help show you the ropes.
- The ONLY time to handle, move, or shoot your rifle is when the Match Director says it is ok to do so. If you are not sure, ask.
- During practice, if you need a spotter and don’t have one, ask someone! Don’t be shy as I have found folks to be more than willing to lend a hand.
- At least for me, silhouette shooting as a whole could use more exposure to introduce it to veteran shooters and new shooters alike. I think there is a lot of untapped potential here. I’m going to ponder ways to introduce more people to it.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: SBCLA Rookie Report

Post by BrentD »

Great report and excellent advice to the next rookie!
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ojaileveraction »

Thank you for your report.
Lots there to think about for anyone shooting or wanting to shoot silhouette.
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I'm glad you took up Lever Gun Silhouette. Tim and Judy lee have a great program and are nice and knowledgeable folks.
I shot action pistol, PPC, and IPSC for years before trying Lever action. I think you are right..we need more ways to recruit shooters.

Jeanne and I put on matches at the Oklahoma City Gun Club and we have side matches that mix a little IPSC with Lever action. Shooters can be as serious as they want for the 40 shot matches, but then find themselves in a man vs man shoot off while waiting for lunch.

Lever Action rifles are a hoot to shoot . They can be used to run an IPSC type course or as 1000 yard guns..yep I said it..1000 yards. Several of us Lever Gun shooters could win a bunch of money every year shooting an iron sighted lever gun at a 1000 yard target in Raton New Mexico.

If you get the chance, come to Oklahoma City and shoot one of our matches. The first match is free and we usually provide lunch.
Just Be Nice **==
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Nice report. Looking forward to the 2nd installment.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
squinty_shooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by squinty_shooter »

It is so nice to see new people getting into our sport, AND people like Tim taking the time both online and at the range to make sure of a positive experience.
Tim keep up the great work!
Kimbal
PS send him up to Dallas for some matches! :D
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

Where does Dallas have their schedules posted?
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
squinty_shooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by squinty_shooter »

Dallas Pistol Club 4th sat 0800 sbcla
Haltom City club 2nd sat sbcla nd pccla
Grand Prairie Gun Club 3rd sat CLA
Arlington Sportsmans club 1st sat sbcla n pccla
HOTS club 4th sunday CLA
PM for details