FIBER OPTIC vs APERTURE

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.

Do you prefer a fiber optic front insert, or an aperture insert?

I tried an aperture and loved it.
22%
I tried an aperture and can take it or leave it.
11%
I tried an aperture and hated it.
11%
I will stick with my fiber optic insert.
28%
I will stick with my traditional post and bead (or blade)
28%

Total votes: 36

GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

FIBER OPTIC vs APERTURE

Post by GTS »

Being a purveyor of fiber optic inserts, I am curious about which inserts people are using after our first season of legal front sight aperture use. There has been no solid consensus with the few shooters with whom I have talked. Please take a moment and select the answer that best fits your preferences.

Thanks,
Greg
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: FIBER OPTIC vs APERTURE

Post by Jason »

If I used Lee Shaver apertures in Lyman 17A front sights for years and then tried a fiber optic insert but didn't like it and kept using Lee Shaver apertures, which choice should I pick from that list?
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I have actually been having very good luck with the fattest post Lyman provides with the 17a.... I'm mostly blind though so YMMV.... ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

i tried several different sizes of apertures. i did not like it. i am staying with the al foust fiber optic.
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ojaileveraction »

I have a fiber optic insert on my 336W and in shadow, (we have covered range), with my eyes there is no difference between FO and the post and bead on my 336 35 rem.
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

My 1894 has a Lee Shaver tang sight and front sight. I changed the front sight to the medium Lee Shaver aperture...now I'm all set for white animals - kinda tough to see the black ones.
Anyone have tips for shooting black target (like the ones in Raton)?
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Black animals shoot just as well as white ones with an aperture front sight. However, most folks find that they need a larger hole for white targets, esp if the sun is bright.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

I'd suggest that if the aperture makes it "kinda tough to see the black animals", then the aperture is too small.
Olympic/bullseye shooters use apertures without any problem at all; the bullseye extending out to the 7 ring. And, they shoot possibles!
Try a larger aperture; it's all about centering the animal in the ring, which your eye has the remarkable ability to do.

49er
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Using the round aperture in the front sight has given me a new perspective on aligning the front and rear sights. It's now very easy to make sure I have the same picture each time I shoulder the gun. It is amazing how your eyes can get two things concentric. Definitely like using the round inserts.
ppkny
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

The Lee Shaver suggests using the medium and the large aperture - together, at the same time.
He says it helps you pick up the target faster.
When it warms up some I'll try it for real - I based my original statement on sighting through the back door, at black rocks in my neighbors flowerbed.
Thanks for everyones help.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Yes, they work for me. (70 degrees here today.)
I tested two different apertures - one is a Lee Shaver on my Marlin 1894 rifle and one that I found in my "box-o-parts"
The Lee shaver needs both the Medium and Large discs in place - to make it easier to pick up the front sight.
The other one - I sure wish I knew where it came from - was ideal for my 39a. It was thicker than the Shaver models and was a tight fit in the Lyman front sight. I had to raise the Williams sight about 8 clicks to re-center the point of impact with this aperture in place.
Can anyone suggest where I might find some front apertures to choose from?

Michael
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

snaketail2,
This guy will make anything you want. $$$
http://www.distantthunderbpcr.com/DTPag ... eSheet.htm
ppkny
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

ppkny wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:43 am snaketail2,
This guy will make anything you want. $$$
http://www.distantthunderbpcr.com/DTPag ... eSheet.htm
ppkny

Thank you.
Michael