To Crimp or Not to Crimp

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
TomJ
B Poster
B Poster

To Crimp or Not to Crimp

Post by TomJ »

I’m starting to load.30-30 and have a question regarding crimping. I do not crimp .32-20 cases and get good accuracy (I load single rounds into the chamber). I understand that if I load multiple rounds crimping is a necessity, but would it be advisable or would there be an advantage (specially accuracy) to not crimping .30-30 rounds and loading single rounds? Thanks, Tom
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: To Crimp or Not to Crimp

Post by BrentD »

Isn't the only really viable answer, "You have to try it and find out"?
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

TomJ, you state that you load single rounds into the chamber, I hope that is not what you do during an official match. Read the rules, all rounds must be loaded from the magazine. I know a bloke that will disqualify you from the National matches if you single load into the chamber, just sayin'.
Taps
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

To clarify on the point that Taps made, you are allowed to load one round at a time but it must be done through the magazine instead of directly into the chamber through the ejection port. This is how I load my 30-30 rounds for cowboy lever action matches and do not crimp. There's a noticeable difference in point of impact for me with five rounds (four in magazine plus one in the chamber) versus one round loaded in my rifle, so I only single load. That makes crimping or not when loading all five rounds irrelevant for me. You may want to do the same test to see if you should even care about this. :)
Porpoise
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Porpoise »

I never crimp and load them in the magazine tube anyway. Never had the bullets back into the case.
TomJ
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TomJ »

I guess that I should have made it clear that I load one round at a time into the magazine then chamber it. Think I’ll experiment trying no crimp. Thanks to everyone for your comments, Tom
Westy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Westy »

Taps wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:17 pm TomJ, you state that you load single rounds into the chamber, I hope that is not what you do during an official match. Read the rules, all rounds must be loaded from the magazine. I know a bloke that will disqualify you from the National matches if you single load into the chamber, just sayin'.
Hey TAPS you tell them Brother... :)) B-) =)) =))
As for crimping them well my 32-20 works so much better when the cases are crimped and everything has the same resistance... Just Saying?
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

I use a Lee factory crimp for my 30-30 loads. Works good for me.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I as well only load 1 at atime through the magazine. But when doing some testing i found that crimping improved the grouping by quite a large amount. I found this in my 30-30 as well as my 357. I single load both guns because it makes me take my time a bit more and gives me a chance to set the gun down. So you will have to decide if your gun shoots better with or without a crimp is the only way to know for sure.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Mike, I agree with you about the better accuracy when crimping the 30-30 and .357 Mag. It is noticeable, so I always crimp those cartridges.

Jim Luke :ar!
TomJ
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TomJ »

Since this is my first time loading for a 30-30, how much crimp would recommend or is it a matter of experimentation?
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Since there is no gauge to tell how much crip you put on a case all i can say is TEST TEST TEST. I am a firm believer in testing. I go through a bunch of bullets powder and primers to be sure what my gun likes. Statr with a lite crimp and work your way up looking for presure signs and group size.
Mike Haynes
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

frankmako wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:44 am I use a Lee factory crimp for my 30-30 loads. Works good for me.
Does anyone else here have input on Lee Factory Crimp vs regular old crimp?
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Get a Lee .002 undersize mandrel (order from Lee)- this will minimize the amount of crimp you need.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

snaketail2 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:43 am Get a Lee .002 undersize mandrel (order from Lee)- this will minimize the amount of crimp you need.

Michael
Is that an undersize mandrel for a factory Crimp Die?