CPT Loads for 308 Marlin Express

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
1894User
B Poster
B Poster

CPT Loads for 308 Marlin Express

Post by 1894User »

Looking for a light and accurate load for my Marlin MXLR 308 Marlin Express. Have a 170gr load that is under 2 MOA, but having a bit of trouble with lighter bullets (110 - 125gr range). Any assistance would be most appreciated.

JW
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: CPT Loads for 308 Marlin Express

Post by 44 mag »

I am just asking not trying to stir the pot. When did they make the 308 Marlin Express legal for CLA? I talked to the powers to be at the NRA several years back and was told it was not legal for CLA. I thought one would be nice for my wife but they said no go.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Why would it not be legal? Here's a link to the SAAMI specs for 308MX. It's clearly a rimmed cartridge greater than .25 caliber.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/_CC_D ... xpress.pdf

As long as round or flat-nosed bullets are used in a rifle with a tubular magazine, it's legal by the NRA rules.
1. Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette -
(a) Any lever action center fire rifle .25 caliber or larger with a tubular magazine of original manufacturer or replica thereof. A rimmed case loaded with a round or flat nosed bullet must be used. Exception: .30 Remington and .35 Remington are allowed.
I've seen a few shooters using Marlin 336 XLR rifles in 308MX. I'd love to hear someone explain how it would not be allowed.
1894User
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 1894User »

Looked up some of the equipment used at Nationals and there have been listings for 308 Marlin Express. If listed at National I am pretty sure it is legal. Real question is can I hit anything with it...hence the question on light loads. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

JW
tnchicknsnipr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tnchicknsnipr »

Just looked up 2017 survey and did not see 308mx listed. The reason it is not legal is it is not a flat point nor is it a round point. The 308mx has a plastic pointed tip that is not part of the original casting or swaging .The tip is a removeable plastic insert . I thing it is time to stop reinventing the wheel and inprove skill level. This is cowboy silhouette and was started before anyone came up with the 308mx round.
1894User
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 1894User »

Factory ammo that is true, but I am going to reload and can select any bullet I like. Right now my two choices are Sie 125gr FP HP and Sie 170 RN. Either of these is quite legal, as they are designed for 30-30 WCF. The question I continue to ask is does anyone have any load data for lighter bullets. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

JW
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Have to say firstly that it is a terrible assumption to say that the 308Express is going to be used with pointed, plastic tipped projectiles. Factory type loads are for the hunting realm.
And yes, the rifle configuration and cartridge certainly do comply with CLAS rules.

For C, P & T, try 125gn Sierra 2020 with 38.5gn H4895, and R 170gn Sierra 2010 with 35.5gn H4895.
Something to start with. Let us know how you get on.

49er
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I agree that it is legal as well but Greg had told me it was not. He said it did not qualify because it is not considered a rimed case. Seems rimed to me. But this is what Greg Connor told me after i sent several pics to him. I dont understand it but just decided to not poke the bear and got her a 30-30. It seems to me that Varget would work good with a lighter bullet.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Whatever Greg might say about the legality, as he sees it, there were a few used at the 2016 Nats.
Just sayin'.

49er
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I believe that is technicaly a rebated rim... you can argue the legality but don't see any advantage....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Wiki for the win....

"The cartridge uses a slightly shorter, semi-rimmed case similar to that of the .220 Swift"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.308_Marlin_Express

All cases have a rim... for CLA the spirit of the rule is a traditional, fatter then the body of the cartridge rim....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

From what I can see it is a semi-rimmed a.k.a. rebated rim. Which puts it on the other side of legal IMO. The only non rimmed round allowed is the 35 rem as it was loaded with round nose bullets from the factory. The .308MX does not come from the factory with round or flat nose bullets which is most likely why its not allowed the rim issue may not even be a factor. People may try and cheat so its a preemptive move by the NRA to stop that. Again this is only opinion not fact.
Last edited by Another Dang 9 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

The rim is of larger diameter than the body of the cartridge. That makes it "rimmed" and any challenge would get it allowed based on that technicality. I don't have one so I don't have anything invested in whether or not it's allowed by the NRA. With the rules as written, it would have to be allowed. As has been discussed, there's no real material advantage to using it over the 30-30 Win as the venerable old 30-30 has plenty of case capacity to do everything that is needed in CLA competition with the bonus of being readily available and cheap. Like many long threads on here, this one seems to be much ado about nothing.

With that said, does anyone actually have experience with loads that they can share with 1894User since that's the reason that this topic was posted?
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I believe the cartridge was developed by Hornady. I would give them a call. They will most likely have the best load data to start with. I looked in Seirras data and they do not list it as of yet. I've used H322 in my 30-30 and get good results with light bullets 100-125gr. Post your results when you get some.
Also I need to correct myself as the rim is not rebated as I stated before but semi rimmed. (I should crack a book more often)
Since the case is based on the .307 win I would look to that cartridge for help too. I have an old Lyman book that has a lot of obsolete cartridges listed. I will look when I get home tonight. My oldest book is a Hornady 3rd addition printed in 1987 but does not list it. I have an old Speer book as well but its at home too.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
1894User
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 1894User »

The rim of the 308 Marlin Express is .506 just like the 38-55, 32 Win Special, 32-40 and a whole host of other lever action cartridges. Body dia. is .470 inches. Plus it is in a Marlin which is pretty much like every other Marlin 336 on the line. The reason I have this rifle instead of something else is a mill worker lost his job in Vancouver WA and wanted $600 bucks for the rifle after deer season. I gave him 650. He drove back to his house and brought me the 4 boxes of ammo he bought with the rifle. Only 1 box plus 6 rounds out of another had been fired. The man was delighted to sell it, I paid the transfer fees out my own pocket. Still feel like I got just a little bit too good a deal.

Did send the rifle for a good going over, general tune and install a Wild West Trigger. My 1894 Marlins have spoiled me badly.

Agree with the opinion that there is no advantage to this rifle over any other. Brass is a bit more robust, but also much more expensive. Also it will require higher pressure to expand the brass to seal the chamber, which means higher velocity, flatter trajectory, more powder and more recoil.

So far for powders I have the following on my list:

Varget 39.0-42.3gr C
IMR 4064 38.5-41.5gr C
748 39.0-44.0gr
IMR 4320 39.0-42.0gr

Have been able to obtain about 300 pieces of unfired brass. Hope to have it sized, trimmed and primed by the weekend. Have looked for some starting data on H322 and have not found any for either this cartridge or the 307 Winchester.

Will happily post my results. If I finally get better with the Lab Radar I will post the velocity data with group sizes. Hope to post something in a week or so.

Thanks to all of you for your kind assistance. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

JW