Anyone shooting a .327?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Anyone shooting a .327?

Post by snaketail2 »

Are any of you shooting a .327? (I'm assuming its legal!)
Curious about accuracy levels, difficulty finding brass, and al the typical stuff.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Anyone shooting a .327?

Post by Tlee »

snaketail2 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 am Are any of you shooting a .327? (I'm assuming its legal!)
Curious about accuracy levels, difficulty finding brass, and al the typical stuff.

Michael
I’ve yet to see one at a match, but we’ve a couple shooters that have recently acquired a Henry rifle that is capable of utilizing that round.

.327 brass is pretty hard to find, but it’ll accept the more plentiful 32H&R mag as well. Plus, for PCCLA at least, the 32H&R is more than adequate for it, being practically identical to the 32-20 in External and Terminal Ballistics. I’ve loaded 85 & 100gr pills up to 1700/1500fps respectively (overkill for PCCLA, but a great varmint round). For PCCLA, 1100-1200fps is plenty.

:ymcowboy:

- Tim
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Michael,

I recently took delivery of a Henry Big Boy Steel in .327 Fed Mag. Actually the brass is available in abundance, as Starline is making it now. You can also buy 100 count boxes from Midway, where Starline has a minimum of 500. I have been a little slow in loading test rounds, but plan on getting to the range this weekend. I will try and post my findings next week.

I have 85 gr Hornady XTP, 90 gr Sierra HC and 100 gr Hornady XTP's to try. I am hoping that 2400 or Lil'Gun will be the powder of choice since I have plenty of both.

Greg
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

GTS wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:36 pm Michael,

I recently took delivery of a Henry Big Boy Steel in .327 Fed Mag. Actually the brass is available in abundance, as Starline is making it now. You can also buy 100 count boxes from Midway, where Starline has a minimum of 500 (snip).....
Greg-

Congrats on the new toy, be sure to let us know how it shoots. Glad to hear the brass is now available... I ruled out a 327 revolver purchase as last I checked the brass was unobtanium.

I’ve used lots of LilGun for higher velocity 32H&R loads and it was very accurate, just overkill for PCCLA velocities. Might also consider trying WSF... 4.5gr of it works very well with 100gr pills in 32H&R and it should work with the slightly longer 327 case, albeit slightly slower velocities unless the charge is increased.

- Tim
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

I’ve used lots of LilGun for higher velocity 32H&R loads and it was very accurate, just overkill for PCCLA velocities. Might also consider trying WSF... 4.5gr of it works very well with 100gr pills in 32H&R and it should work with the slightly longer 327 case, albeit slightly slower velocities unless the charge is increased.

- Tim
Tim,

I was thinking about going in the other direction given a bit more case capacity and a longer barrel. Something a little slower like H4198, which has worked well in my 25-20. If I go faster, it will probably be Universal. I will likely start with my 32 H&R mag hunter pistol loads and work up from there.

Greg
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Well there is no joy in Henryville tonight.....at least not for me. The rifle is on it's way back to Henry so they can figure out what the heck is wrong with it.

After 3 different bullet weights and 6 or 7 different powders, along with 2 brands of factory ammo, the best I could get out of it was around 8"-10" at 100 meters. That is not just bad, it is horrible! :shock:

I will update when there is something to report.

Greg
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ojaileveraction »

There been post at another sight telling of problems with the long narrow shape of the .327 case causing inconsistent powder ignition across a broad range of powders.
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Based on quite a few reports of good accuracy, combined with my terrible results, I feel fairly certain it is my specific rifle and not a cartridge specific problem. I could be wrong, but I don't think so on this one.
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

GTS, the Feb 2018 Handloader has a good Q&A on 327 "problems" by Brian Pearce. It sounds like this is a difficult cartridge to load for top accuracy. He says Federal even had to formulate a proprietary powder to get consistent ignition in their factory loads. He doesn't have a full report to publish at this point, but shares that powders slightly faster than traditional magnum revolver powders work best (at least in revolvers.) Also that the cartridge can be very picky on choice of primers.