30-30 rifle for cast loads

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

30-30 rifle for cast loads

Post by twidpa »

If you had the opportunity to purchase and older 336 or a CB in 30-30, which would be the better rifle for cast loads in the CLA game? The CB has a slight advantage in sight radius. Both feel well balanced and are in excellent condition. Either one will be fitted with tang and lyman sights.
T
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 30-30 rifle for cast loads

Post by snaketail2 »

Just my personal opinion - whatever that's worth.
I'd go CB - Straight grip and no barrel band. I find this model fits me better, and I shoot better if the rifle fits me right.
Do/did they make a 30-30 CB?

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

The Cowboy models use Ballard type rifling, where the regular 336's use the micro groove. The micro groove rifled guns can be quite a bit more touchy about bullet alloy and size than the Ballard type rifling.
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

Post by twidpa »

Don, That is good info. Of course the CB is twice the money!
T
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Yup they are a bit spendy.
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Post by durant7 »

A darn good question. I started to shoot this silly game in 2001. I swore to NEVER get into reloading. Air and 22LR only. Well, I moved and Air was non existent and 22LR was only really pursued by the SBCR guys. 1/5th was not of interest and the cowboy SBCR, PCCLA and CLA was all the rage. So, I gut sucked into CLA. There is nothing more enjoyable than touching off a hand loaded, hand cast bullet and knocking over a ram! I can tell you that hitting them with a cast load and just knocking all the mud off is far less rewarding but that is for another story, another day.

I am frugal by nature as are many New Englanders. So, I did what everyone else was doing. And started casting a 31141 for my CLA. I was able to pick up a 336 30-30 CB when they were affordable. The first question you have to answer, are you a hard core casting type? If that is half the enjoyment, than you will overcome all the Microgroove mis-information and find a solution that works. If you buy lead bullets because you get more for your dollar, I would not pursue Microgroove. You have to match your bullet/load to a Microgroove gun with many many hours of experimentation and research. And this for many is half the fun. If that is not for you, I might just "bite the bullet" and spend the $$ on jacketed.

Was I able to complete my grandslam with cast? Yes. Did it take longer? Sure. Am I proud that my little single cavity Lyman 31141 and hours at the range and reloading bench work out? Sure. Do I suggest that effort is for everyone? No. I have learned, what may knock down rams at one club, may not knock down at another club. That created a great deal more range work to have a special "ram getter" load for those ranges.

So, it is up to you. What is it you want to spend your time doing? To be competitive, range time on two feet on paper targets is where the time has the greatest ROI. Dubbing at the casting pot is low ROI. But it is all about how each one of us wants to pursue the game. There is no right or wrong way as long as you are happy doing it your way.

JD in OH
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

Post by twidpa »

" What is it you want to spend your time doing?"
I currently shoot a CB 38-55 with cast...I know the reloading road can be rocky.
I ended up getting both. Probably try to pit the CB 30-30 against the CB 38-55 in 200 yard ram knock over test first. Then accuracy test. Gotta find a 31141 mold and slug the barrels first. May I ask what velocity and powder you are using? I find 1300 to 1400 fps works best in most cast stuff I try.
T
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by curmudgeon »

durant7 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:19 pm Was I able to complete my grandslam with cast? Yes. Did it take longer? Sure. Am I proud that my little single cavity Lyman 31141 and hours at the range and reloading bench work out? Sure. Do I suggest that effort is for everyone? No.
Thanks for the inspiration! I don't shoot CLA yet, but have started casting, loading and shooting High Power - lots to learn
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Post by the ex pom »

I have used a 30-30 for CLAS reasonably successfully. Dont worry about micro groove barrels they work great with lead. If you go down the path the load I won the nationals with was a 180g rcbs fngc bullet pushed by 13.5g 4227.

Dave McCarthy
348 winchester,teach them chickens a lesson, when a girls gun will not do. Man up with a steel buttplate!!!!!
twidpa
B Poster
B Poster

Post by twidpa »

Thanks Dave. I found 4227 to be both position and temperature sensitive in other hyphenated calibers. I will give it a try in 30-30 and see what happens.
T
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ojaileveraction »

I'm on the hunt for a pre 1950 336A to shoot cast lead in Lever Action Silhouetts. Longer Sight radius, Ballard Rifling, End Cap, no Barrel Band.
Ballard Rifling in Octagon 336 is not a sure thing.
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Post by durant7 »

I had forgotten about this post. As for FPS, I got it up to 1220 FPS with 4198 and my GC 31141. For me, my gun, my sized bullet, it seemed the sweet spot of accuracy was being left behind when I exceeded 21 grains. So, I stopped. I tried some 3031 and got even faster and thus more energy at 200y but that was also inconclusive. So I stopped again. 19g is my standard except at Consolidated where I got skunked a few times and I use 21g for good measure. Again, never ever use someone else's load data. Reloading books, start low, work up, etc etc. And, if anyone else has a 336CB in 30-30 and thinks they have the magic elixir, I am all ears.

I will add, I have adopted the use of 3118 mould for chickens. Works great and saves 10 GC per match.

JD in OH
rr1220
B Poster
B Poster

Post by rr1220 »

pistol powders for cast bullet lever gun gmdr.com
I found my c p t load here using 7.7 gr n320 under 150gr cast in 32 ws