Target Question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
joemo
B Poster
B Poster

Target Question

Post by joemo »

Will a .22 LR consistently knock over pistol cartridge chickens, pigs, and turkeys? Does it make any sense to buy pistol cartridge targets and use the first three animals, and then just buy a set of rimfire rams? This would make it a less expensive way to get started with both rimfire and pistol cartridge matches.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Target Question

Post by cedestech »

22LR will knock down PC targets "most" of the time.... a heavy or deep set animal hit just right will ring. If you can only afford one set, buy PC animals and set them shallow of make sure and paint well and count hits.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

I settled on 1/4" AR500 for all animals for my practice range. They can handle pistol cartridge rounds and a 22lr will knock down all the animals, with the exception of Rams when dealing with a +10mph headwind.
joemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by joemo »

Thanks for the replies.

ARA 500 steel targets seem to be a lot more expensive than the ones we are considering. They seem like a good idea if you are only buying a few that will be shot frequently, but we are trying to get as many targets as possible to accommodate more shooters.

Another reason for the interest in pistol cartridge targets is that they are only $50. more per 20 than the rimfire targets, seemed like a better buy that offers the flexibility of shooting two types of guns and hopefully appealing to more shooters.
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

We use heavy animals for C, P, T for both SB and PC. Every so often, somebody rings a pig. We also seem to get more spun turkeys than one might expect. For a club match, I don't think anybody cares too much. We do have a set of light rams, but we're usually too lazy to set them and just count hits.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

joemo wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:21 pm Thanks for the replies.

ARA 500 steel targets seem to be a lot more expensive than the ones we are considering. They seem like a good idea if you are only buying a few that will be shot frequently, but we are trying to get as many targets as possible to accommodate more shooters.

Another reason for the interest in pistol cartridge targets is that they are only $50. more per 20 than the rimfire targets, seemed like a better buy that offers the flexibility of shooting two types of guns and hopefully appealing to more shooters.
My fabricator is pretty reasonable on the 1/4" ar500. Each set of c,p,t,r is $115, so 4 complete banks of 5 of each animal was $460. Nra spec mild steel 1/2 scale targets run $312. I figured the extra cost was worth it for more durable targets.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

At one club in Pennsylvania the chickens are all pistol cartridge targets. The chickens at least are no trouble at all for the 22 rimfire game . I use subsonic ammo and have not spun or "rang" a chicken there. They go over with authority and they are hard set.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
squinty_shooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by squinty_shooter »

I have several sets of 1/2 scale targets from my pistol days. I am selling
$350.00 for 5 each of ram turk pig and ckn heavy (pc) plus 5 each ram turk pig light(22) fob dallas tx
All in good shape

Kimbal
joemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by joemo »

Kimbal

I sent an e-mail, but just in case you didn't get it, I would like to talk to you about your targets. You can send me your number or call me
Joe 314-795-four five eight nine.

Thanks
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Chickens for both SB and PC should both be 3/8 thick. Pig is 1/4 for SB. 3/8 for PC. A .22 should have no problem knocking 3/8 pigs down. Turkeys are 1/4 for SB and 5/16 for PC. Rams are 3/16 for SB and 5/16 for PC. That is the NRA target rules.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Tom,

You’re a little off on your target thickness. This is out of the 2016 rule book. All PC targets for Cowboy Silhouette are 3/8 thick.

All half-size Hunter’s Pistol targets, that are used for Cowboy competi- tion, should be 3/8” thick. Smallbore Hunter’s Pistol targets shall be the same size as Hunter’s Pistol except that the rams should be 3/16” thick, turkeys and pigs should be 1/4” thick, and chickens should be 3/8”thick.

Also a .22lr std velocity round will not be reliable on 3/8” thick pigs. I have dung lots of them.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Thanks Al. I have an old handbook. Time to update it.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member