Bedding the forearm of a 39a

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Bedding the forearm of a 39a

Post by SqHunter »

Has anybody tried to bed the forearm of a Marlin 39a? I have one that is apparently very sensitive to vertical pressure. I noticed it when checking for something else after a recent match, and found that my groups climb as the front rest is moved rearward towards the receiver.

I have seen it before with lever action deer rifles, just never tried to fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Bedding the forearm of a 39a

Post by Doodaddy »

SqHunter wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:52 pm Has anybody tried to bed the forearm of a Marlin 39a? I have one that is apparently very sensitive to vertical pressure. I noticed it when checking for something else after a recent match, and found that my groups climb as the front rest is moved rearward towards the receiver.

I have seen it before with lever action deer rifles, just never tried to fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Put the rest where your fingers are when you shoot free hand to replicate the pressure in both scenarios....bedded or not. Does the rifle shoot poorly or just have point of impact shift?
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Bedding the forearm of a 39a

Post by SqHunter »

It normally groups fairly well, just shifts point of impact occasionally. I was just supprised at the amount of shift this time, some four inches at chickens.

My front rest may be part of the probblem, it is too wide for this rifle and is quite hard. I may try a softer rest next time and see what happens.