targets at meters vs yards

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

targets at meters vs yards

Post by snaketail2 »

We discussed this at the match yesterday - I made a chart to illustrate the difference.

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: targets at meters vs yards

Post by ppkny »

Michael,
I've found that very few clubs are setting at (Yards). Were the differences are like our club we use the SB (meter) rails to setup the Lever action targets:
Chickens 40 meters (SB & Lever gun okay)
Pigs 60 meters (SB okay Lever Gun should be 50 meters)
Turkeys 77 meters (SB okay lever gun should be 75meters)
Rams 100 meters (SB & Lever gun okay)
You can see that the Chickens and Rams are fine but the Pigs are further away as are the turkeys) We've havn't had any complaints that it makes a big difference on sight adjustment and if the competitors are aware is fine.
ppkny
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Thanks.
The issue I was addressing is sighting in at "typical" rifle ranges. Most seem to have target frames at standard yardage.
"if you sight in at 100 yards, how far off will you be at 100 meters? Does the additional 28 feet make much difference?"
I don't know the answer - but I suspect standard vel .22 ammo may be affected the most.
(This is a very good reason to sight in at the match-range every time you visit a new location.)
Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I have started keeping a laser range finder in my box... just sayin....
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

""if you sight in at 100 yards, how far off will you be at 100 meters?"
You can answer this question using the ballistic calculator at hornady.com and a little work in Excel. For example with my ammo, my guns to estimate a 100 meter zero, I need to sight in at 100 yds
~1/2 inch high for 22 Magnum
~1 inch high for smallbore.