Levergun competition question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Levergun competition question

Post by DonM »

Are rear sights like the One Ragged Hole, or the Marbles Bullseye "legal"?
And as I read the rule book pump action 22's are allowed in the small bore matches.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Levergun competition question

Post by cedestech »

Yes, yes and yes.

Basically you can shoot anything you can fit in the rear dovetail, any tang sight and rear receiver mounted peep sights as long as they are not Redfield "Olympic" sights. Regular Redfield, Williams or Lyman receiver mounted sights are OK as are adjustable apertures on the rear only. The most common globe front is a Lyman 17A and I don't know of any insert that would fit that isn't legal.

People shoot combination you can think of. None have any real advantage other then the rear mounted receiver you get much more accurate and repeatable settings.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Thanks. My shooting pardner and I are thinking about giving this stuff a try just for something new. He doesn't have a lever 22 but he does have a really nice old Winchester pump. I have a couple of rifles that wear the ORH sight, and I was thinking about putting one of the Marbles on the Henry 22.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

It's a hoot. Bring what you have and have fun. You can see what other people are using and most people will let you play with their rifles if you ask nice so you can see the difference.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

:lol: I have at last count 4 30-30's , a rifle each in all 3 of the wcf cartridges, and a 348. My favorite rifle is my 95 in 405, but I did see it's against the law. Me thinks if I bring any more rifles home the bookkeeper is liable to string me up. Altho she is looking forward to our trip in a couple of weeks to pick up a 16 lb barreled sharps..
We may twist off and try the Co state lever gun match in May.. Just have to decide if we're going to shoot bpcrs that weekend or dive in with both feet and try something new.
Thanks for the words of advice, heck you never know I might even show up at Raton this July.
Taps
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Taps »

Come on down and join the party Don. :D
Taps
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

We may come down for the 22bpcr match, haven't decided yet. Between my wife , my regular shooting pardner, soninlaw,daughter and myself we could pretty much fill one relay.It'll largely depend on Eddie, and the kids' work schedule.
I much prefer the weather at the Whittington in mid September.
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Grizz61 »

DonM,

You are more than welcome swing by Colorado in May, We have the big match that I put on over Memorial day weekend. There are also several other single LA matches going on that month. Contact me here and or grizz61@msn.com and I will try to guide to what you want to know.

At the 2018 CLASS match there will be a few post and current national silhouette champions shotting, and maybe a future one or two. We always try to have a lot of fun at this match, and several of us will be playing around with some 22 BPCR guns on the side and may even get a side match going.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Griz coming to your memorial day match is something Eddie and I kicked around the other day. We just need to decide whether to get you the registration papers sent, or whether we want to go shoot Cody's bpcrs match that same weekend.
We've also talked about coming down to shoot one of your monthly matches, but since the schedule there at CRC has changed and we can't tie that in with Erons's bptr matches, it's an awful long ways to drive to shoot just one day. :D
Good thing it's still early and the shooting season hasn't go into full swing. :mrgreen:
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

It's been brought to my attention that the word "Olympic" has been eliminated from the rear receiver sight exclusion... can anyone confirm this? I looked in a 2016 PDF copy of the rules and it is missing...
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Yes, the word Olympic has been removed from the 2016 rule 3.1.3(a).

I note from previous correspondence on this matter that the word Olympic has been used within inverted commas thus "Olympic" which implies that the reference is specifically to exclude the Redfield type sight with that name. However, the rule book never did include those inverted commas, simply the open term Olympic.

I haven't been around this game long enough to know all the ins and outs of the formulation of the original rules but I suspect that the intention was to exclude micro adjustable sights such as Gehmann, Anschutz, Walther, Central etc.

A previous post stated "Basically you can shoot anything you can fit in the rear dovetail, any tang sight and rear receiver mounted peep sights as long as they are not Redfield "Olympic" sights. Regular Redfield, Williams or Lyman receiver mounted sights are OK as are adjustable apertures on the rear only".
By implication, a Gehmann or Anschutz is OK?

Perhaps one our fellows who shot the 2018 Arizona match was really on his game with the rule book, as currently written and perhaps pedantically, used it to the fullest extent, as he sees it. This picture https://thebugfather.smugmug.com/2018-A ... -KHqLKN9/A clearly shows what appears to be a Gehmann.

Over to the panel for discussion :lol:

49er
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

One of the olympic style/type adjustable sights was protested at the Nationals last year (2017). The ruling was that it was allowed, based on the current wording of rule 3.1.3(a).
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

dscak1 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:48 pm One of the olympic style/type adjustable sights was protested at the Nationals last year (2017). The ruling was that it was allowed, based on the current wording of rule 3.1.3(a).
Ha.... I have thought about "Anschutz" rear sights but by the time you mount them AND a tall enough front sight I'd think you'd loose so much cheek weld that it would make them useless. Honestly I don't see where the very slight amount of finer adjustment would come in handy seeing how these aren't sub MOA rifles and the targets are 6+ MOA...

It's still the Indian so I wouldn't have a problem with someone using one, that is just me though. :)
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

yeah, John Mullins still won the aggregate with a 227 out of 240, using a Williams sight and a merit disc on all three guns.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

dscak1 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:26 pm yeah, John Mullins still won the aggregate with a 227 out of 240, using a Williams sight and a merit disc on all three guns.
Exactly.