Levergun competition question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Levergun competition question

Post by lijeboy »

dscak1 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:48 pm One of the olympic style/type adjustable sights was protested at the Nationals last year (2017). The ruling was that it was allowed, based on the current wording of rule 3.1.3(a).
There was not a formal protest on the sight in question at Nationals last year. The concerned party declined to file a formal protest so, therefore, the protest committee did not make a ruling on the matter.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

No1_49er wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:40 pm Yes, the word Olympic has been removed from the 2016 rule 3.1.3(a).
What is the source of your knowledge that "Olympic" has been removed from 3.1.3(a)?

Thanks,
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Go directly to the NRA web site and check the current rule book. In fact, they can all be found here http://rulebooks.nra.org/

To save you the effort I'll post the link here http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/ ... r-book.pdf
And to further assist, here is the link for the 2018 updates http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/ ... fle_18.pdf

Is that a good enough source. Does that help?

49er
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

Wasn't doubting you, just hadn't been informed.

The changes posted by the NRA do not include the change of sights, but I see it's been changed in the rules.

My frustration continues.

Thank you for the enlightenment.

jr
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

lijeboy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:52 pm Wasn't doubting you, just hadn't been informed.

The changes posted by the NRA do not include the change of sights, but I see it's been changed in the rules.

jr
There doesn't appear to be a link any more to the 2017 changes, and I haven't been able to find a way to attach my own saved file of that change, so I'll paste the text here:-

2017 Rule Changes – Silhouette Rifle
3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle
a. Rear sights may be open, receiver, or tang sights, mounted as originally intended. No extended mounts are permitted. The front sights must be a post or bead or a fixed, non-magnified round aperture. A front sight anti-glare tube, which may be no longer than 1 1/8” to include any attachments and no larger than a ¾” outside diameter, may be used.

Hope that helps.

BTW, don't wait to be informed, Inform yourself. Keep ahead of the game.

49er
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

Thanks again.
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

For those who like to "be informed", this link might be of some use https://competitions.nra.org/request-email-updates.aspx
I have no idea how useful or effective it is but it might be worth a try.

49er
jrywho
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jrywho »

Been reading the comments on permissible rear sights. Just wondering if anyone knows if the Olympic type Anschutz sight will be permitted for sure? I'm in the process of putting together a rifle for CLA. I have a Williams and an Anschutz. As a long time pistol silhouette shooter have found the repeat ability to be much more reliable on the Anschutz. That would be my preference hands down if given the option.
After looking at the cost of some of the rear tang sights, I don't believe price is the factor limiting the Olympic sight usage.

When reading the updated rules posted on this thread it appears legal. Any additional comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

If you check back through previous posts you will find this:-
Perhaps one of our fellows who shot the 2018 Arizona match was really on his game with the rule book, as currently written and perhaps pedantically, used it to the fullest extent, as he sees it. This picture https://thebugfather.smugmug.com/2018-A ... -KHqLKN9/A clearly shows what appears to be a Gehmann.
I don't know, but have to assume without any discussion on it being protested at that match, perhaps the micro-adjustable type sights are here.
As has also been stated, the additional height may present its own challenges with the need for a taller foresight (with spirit level ?) and, depending on stock shape/fit, a cheek weld problem.

All things are possible, within the constraints of the rules.
For what it's worth, I also indulge myself in an "open" class of lever action shooting competition with a Browning BLR .223 fitted with an Anschutz rear sight and a Lyman 17a type front sight with combined spirit level. Removes the need to make allowance for cant.

Read the rules, a dozen times if you have to, perhaps be pedantic in the use of those rules, but be prepared for protest and have your justification/s ready.

Just sayin'

49er
lijeboy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by lijeboy »

No1_49er wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:48 pm For what it's worth, I also indulge myself in an "open" class of lever action shooting competition with a Browning BLR .223 fitted with an Anschutz rear sight and a Lyman 17a type front sight with combined spirit level. Removes the need to make allowance for cant
"Open class of lever action shooting"? What's that?
~Jeanne Ring

It's always something.
jrywho
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jrywho »

Thanks for the reply No1_49er.
I have decided to use the Williams for now. Since I'm just stepping into the CLA arena I would prefer not to be a pioneer at this time. I will be attending matches to enjoy myself. Controversy doesn't mix with good scores!
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

lijeboy wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:02 pm "Open class of lever action shooting"? What's that?
In my jurisdiction it's the opposite of the "classic" lever rifle match :lol:

The "classic" is a l/a rifle with two piece wooden stock, magazine other than a detachable box type, "traditional" type open sights (post and V) non rotating-head bolt, and which uses any commercial c/fire cartridge produced prior to 1939. Something like a Savage 99, in 250-3000, perhaps.
The "open" l/a rifle is anything that the classic is not. Anything goes for iron sights, detachable box magazine, any cartridge including wildcats. However, butt hooks, palm rests etc. are not permitted. That's the gist of it. For me, a BLR Browning in .223 with sights as described.

If it's got you thinking "I've never seen anything like that", you are probably correct. It's NOT a US/NRA type match. But it could be :lol:

49er