Longer Sight Radius

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Walter Johnson
B Poster
B Poster

Longer Sight Radius

Post by Walter Johnson »

Hey Guys, I finally put together my 357 big boy and looked down the sights. I have a lyman 17A front globe and a Marbles tang on the back. The lyman 17a is a little low, I see some of the brass strap that run over the barrel in the bottom of the globe. I suppose this is an easy fix to buy a taller 17A.

The bigger issues is how much space is between my rear aperture ID and the front glob OD. I'm used to a shorter sight radius and having the gap between my aperture and my globe very tight. The aperture diameter is 0.033, the smallest Marbles sells. Not sure that I can find or shoot one much smaller than that anyways, but I'm no expert in setting up peep sights. I suppose I could search for a larger globe sight, but I thought the 17A was somewhat popular.

Perhaps don't worry about it?
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Longer Sight Radius

Post by DonM »

They make different heights of those 17's, but before you do to much sight switching you might want to shoot the rifle at the various distances.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

which 17a did you put on? the .494 for barrel dovetail mount is what most are using with the williams rear sight.
Walter Johnson
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Walter Johnson »

I have the .494, guess if it bugs me I can go to .852"
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

don't go any higher than you need too. Canting becomes more of a problem the higher up the sights are from the bore line.

Shoot the sights you have for awhile and you might find you don't mind or even like the greater space around the front globe. It all works out in the end. Put it on paper and see how it goes.
Walter Johnson
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Walter Johnson »

Not as bad now that I shot it. Need to get a taller post for the marbles tang sight. Otherwise looks just fine down the sights.