Lever Action Silhouette competition (name)

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Lever Action Silhouette competition (name)

Post by No1_49er »

I know that it's been spoken about for quite some time, and the 2018 change to rule 3.1.3 has finally confirmed it.

http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/ ... fle_18.pdf solely addresses the naming of our competitions.

Now that it's a reality, and I appreciate that it might take some time for our ingrained memories to be reset, perhaps we should now try and expunge the word Cowboy from reference to our great sport. The single action guys are welcome to keep it.

49er
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Lever Action Silhouette competition (name)

Post by PhxShooter »

Well, maybe the NRA needs to work on their proof reading. From the official rule change link:

(3.1.3.3) “Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette” shall be changed to ‘Smallbore Cowboy Silhouette Rifle’”.

Typos can be fixed. They got disambiguate right though. :))
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

PhxShooter, You are almost correct.

The text from the 2018 update reads thus:-

2018 Rule Changes - Silhouette Rifle
3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle
(3.1.3) The name “cowboy lever action silhouette rifle” shall be changed throughout the rule book to “Lever Action Silhouette Rifle” (dropping the word ‘Cowboy’).

(3.1.3.1) “Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette” shall be changed to “Lever Action Silhouette Rifle.”

(3.1.3.2) “Pistol Cartridge Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette” shall be changed to “Pistol Cartridge Lever Action Silhouette Rifle.”

(3.1.3.3) “Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette” shall be changed to ‘Smallbore Cowboy Silhouette Rifle’” :-q

These changes are name changes only and shall not reset National Records. The spirit of this motion is to disambiguate the family of Lever Action Silhouette from other sports while encouraging broader participation.

Please note that the rule change specifically states that the word Cowboy WILL BE DROPPED.

Yes, the proof reading was bad, but they only got one of them wrong. However, the substance of the change is that the name SHALL BE changed. The ingrained name I guess - can't see the wood for the trees.
As I stated in my previous post "I appreciate that it might take some time for our ingrained memories to be reset", the same will apply to many of us who write about this particular game :)

It is also important to note that the current (most recent) rule book that is available at the NRA web site is the 2016 version. I have no doubt that when the next edition is available it will include the correct text. If not, you may then have a valid complaint. Let's wait and see what they produce.

49er
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

So 49er, what do you think the smallbore variant is supposed to be called then? "smallbore lever action" would also be incorrect. :?
PhxShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by PhxShooter »

49er, don't take my comment so seriously. It was said in jest and as I said it appeared to be a typo. You're right that they are attempting to correct a name that has caused confusion for a long time. Yes they got 2 of the 3 correct but I only quoted the part where they erred. Again, as I indicated, it was probably a typo that wasn't caught. It was intended to be humor.

I'm guessing the name will be "Smallbore Rifle Lever Action Silhoutte" or "Smallbore Lever Action Rifle Silhouette" or even "Smallbore Lever Action Silhouette".

Relax **==
Mei Ab frigus mortuus digitis
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

Thanks DJA and PhxShooter for your replies. Point taken, PS, but when rules are involved I'm inclined to be a bit on the pedantic side.

Of course the 'smallbore' discipline could not correctly be called 'lever action' because pump and semiauto actions are also permitted so it would be a nonsense.
However, because it is governed under the specific rule 3.1.3 Lever Action Rifle Silhouette, and 3.1.3 3(a) Smallbore Rifle Silhouette allows for the three action types then it would in my opinion be correct to use the term Smallbore Rifle Silhouette, as opposed to and distinct from 3.2 Smallbore Silhouette Rifle which then sub-groups to 3.2.1 Smallbore Hunting Silhouette Rifle.

Subtle differences, yes, but nevertheless they are different.

We should at least be thankful that the word Cowboy is removed.
And agreed, that the text and proofreading in the lead up to the new rulebook was a bit sloppy.

We'll hope that the print edition is as it should be.

49er