Smallbore Lever Ammo recommendations?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
pastorcurtis
Unclassified Poster

Smallbore Lever Ammo recommendations?

Post by pastorcurtis »

What's the consensus? Stay subsonic as in normal SB? Or do the larger targets obviate that need?

I'm shooting a Henry if it matters.

Thanks!
Pastor Curtis
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Smallbore Lever Ammo recommendations?

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I shoot federal 510. It works well for me.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Stay subsonic. Never left an animal standing.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I've left rams standing multiple times in smallbore using Wolf or SK Std+ out of my Marlin 39A, especially when the targets and rails are wet and/or muddy. The lots of Wolf and SK Std+ that I have tested are lower velocity than most other standard velocity ammo. Since the targets are so large and we commonly have one or two animals decide the match winner, I am currently using the CCI "Christmas 2017" ammo that's basically just polymer-coated Mini-Mag solids. I also did well with Geco Bolt Action ammo that shoots just under 1100fps out of my rifle, but the Christmas ammo shoots 10-shot groups right at or just under 2" at 100 meters off the bench so there's less risk of leaving a ram standing. I think Byron (same person as Byron on this forum) and Leroy (Southpaw on this forum) often use Wolf or SK and also do well. Since they are great shooters and are often competing with me for match winner, I like that they still use Wolf/SK. It gives me a better chance to win. =))
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Use what works in your rifle. You don’t need the precision that match ammo provides but it is a psychological advantage.

I’ve found match ammo shoots 1 to 1-1/2” tighter than discount HV stuff. But then I did test one lot of mini mags that sub 1 moa. It’s gone 😢

I found Aguila Standard velocity to be exceptionally accurate for $2/box ammo

As for ringing rams, I never concerned myself with it and haven’t lost any using SK +.

Ammo is plentiful now. Find something that shoots good and buy a few cases
- Joe
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

My Henry isn't to picky about ammunition. It does show a preference for Winchester t22 and SK magazine.
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

Both my 39a's shot SK Mag very well, but... they both shoot Norma TAC better and it's quite a bit cheaper. On the other side of the coin, both my Anschutz SB rifles HATE it!! It's whatever you find that fits that sweet spot.

Kevin O
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I shoot Aguila Super Extra Standard Velocity at 1130FPS so right on the cusp of subsonic. Shoots outstanding in my Henry, is dirt cheap, and has never left an animal standing for me.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

If you have a windy day Eley Force is better at bucking the wind than sub sonic ammo. My 39 likes Tac 22 and it can shoot Eley Force, but the point of impact is quite different - elevation and windage changes. And there is a quit a difference in price. I'll bring both to a match and check the weather - on calm days I'll shoot Tac 22 on windy days I'll go with Eley Force, at Raton (where the wind blows from four directions at once) I'll use Eley.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I shoot Eley Force. It shoots very well out of my 39a's as well as my wifes 39m (as well as Lapua Center-X). I like the higher velocity and the heavier bullet (42 grain). And i dont think there is a ram that stanfs a chance with it. Mike Haynes
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

my 39a's like sk hv ammo the best. then it is cci mini mags. federal 719 and cci blazer shoots good in a pinch. i was using sk+ but i was ringing rams at two differnt clubs. and sometime i would ring pigs with sk+ at these two clubs. come to think about it sometimes you can ring rams at both clubs with hv ammo. our rails are junk and you live with the ringers. your rifle will let you know what it likes.